Need Some Advice

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:19 pm

And I was serious about buying it. PM me with the store info!
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 pm

if it's in pristine condition, you could get $3k+ on ebay for it. Depending on how many things are cosmetically wrong (or just a little functionally weird, ie a few keys doing weird things) you could get somewhere around 1900-2500.

Between Ebay and Paypal, you will lose a hefty chunk of change too if you were to sell it, but if you can get 3300 for it, then it's totally worth it. Really depends on the shape of it.

All of this said, I'd definitely rather have a new Moog than an old one. If I were in your shoes, had the money, and the Mini turns out to be in really really good shape, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, sell it on ebay for a tidy profit, and go on a Moog shopping spree for a new Voyager and some foogerfriends/cp/vx units to go with it! :D

::edit:: oh yeah, and I'd sample the hell out of the mini before it sold, too! :wink:
www.ctrlshft.com

TheFlamingHetero

Post by TheFlamingHetero » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:49 pm

You guys are super helpful, AND super awesome. I have decided I am going to buy it. Im going to test it out tomorrow, I didn't test it out the first time because I was just in complete awe of the thing I just stood there and stared. What are some things I should look for so I can get an idea of what kinda condition its in? Sound and appearance.

Thankks in advance

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 pm

Go for it .
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:01 pm

TheFlamingHetero wrote:What are some things I should look for so I can get an idea of what kinda condition its in?
take a lot of pics, both exterior and inside the chassis...post them here.

if there's a fuse holder on the chassis, pull the fuse and make sure it's correctly rated (and not wrapped with tin foil).

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:16 pm

I would test all the keys.

Id test each oscillator with all keys to see if they track properly. Id test each waveshape for the oscillators, the octave buttons. Id tweak the filter envelope and the filter to see if it functions well. Id bring something to maybe run into the audio input just to see if thats working too. like a guitar or something. Id test it with an amp too both outputs.

After that, if I didn't wake up from the dream Id sell my insurance policy and buy that thing lolol.

Id look for dents and scratches, denote the serial number, Id also check the power cable to make sure theres no fraying anywhere or that the ground pin isn't broken off...stuff like that.

If it needs to be fixed youd still have a heck of a deal on a classic.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 am

If it comes-on and makes noise at all that is remotely synth like, pay the man and leave with your treasure.
I get the sense that you are going to go in and if it's doing something weird you will back out.
This is a no-brainer. The chasis and knobs and all that alone are worth more than the asking price.
I'm all jacked up now! It's like I'm watching a movie where the person goes into the barn where the serial killer is, and everyone in the theater is like DONT GO IN THERE. But in this case we are like BUY IT!!
The only thing that would be more awesome would be to offer 1500 and get it. But do not go into that store and leave with out it bro!!
My bet is that it won't be there when he goes in tomorrow.

SkylerStupid

Post by SkylerStupid » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:55 am

hey man if you end up not getting it, I live in VA too so I could go pick it up for myself :twisted:

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:27 am

Hey! I already called dibs! :P
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:15 pm

I hope you get it!
I would do a sound test of everything in the extremes first, really short envelopes to really loooonnng envelopes, each individual osc and grouped together, fm, synced, lfo, make sure all the modulation busses, wheels, and if posible cv jacks do what they are supposed to do. And watch some youtube demos before you go in so you know what it should sound like. Automatic gainsay has some good demos I think.
Even if you buy it and play with it a bit and sell it, it will be so worth it. And please post pics!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step