LP and Ableton or any other sequencer

Everything Phatty.
DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:17 pm

The MIDI can be sent to the LP, but the MIDI is just going to tell the LP to play notes and you'll hear whatever patch is loaded on the LP. Remember, MIDI is just data about notes on, notes off, velocity, knob turns, etc. The LP has no way of knowing what the EIC Clean Strat sounds like.

What you want is to hear the EIC Clean Strat through your keyboard amp, correct? To do this you need to use an AUDIO output from your computer and patch that to the INPUT on your amp. The (usually green ringed) audio output on the back of your computer that you plug your computer speakers into would be an example of this. If you have a recording interface (like a MOTU or Presonus or DigiDesign etc) you can tell Ableton to send the Clean Strat out one of the outputs on the interface and patch that output to the keyboard amp.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 pm

nlfolst wrote:So basically using the LP as midi controller means that I can only play its keyboard to make audio out of my computer as in Ableton, which would have to be heard coming out of the pc speakers
Now we're getting somewhere! That is correct! However, if you REALLY wanted to, you could get some powered studio monitors and run your sound card through those. I personally run my Mac Book's headphone out to my stereo. Awesome sound quality, especially through those big 12" cabinets. :mrgreen:

DMorrish's idea is good too. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

nlfolst

Post by nlfolst » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Yesss!!! Yessss!!! You guys have been lots of help. Now I'm understanding the concept. Much appreciated to both of you on your insight and midi knowledge.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:52 pm

You are welcome! Always glad to help. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.