Anyone here use a Modular synthesizer?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
analogcontrolfreak

Anyone here use a Modular synthesizer?

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:06 am

I am just courious, but does anyone here use a Modular synthesizer as either you main instrument or with other keyboards. Be it a vintage Moog Modular or a brand new one like a synthesizers.com. :)

selgart

Re: Anyone here use a Modular synthesizer?

Post by selgart » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:41 pm

analogcontrolfreak wrote:I am just courious, but does anyone here use a Modular synthesizer as either you main instrument or with other keyboards. Be it a vintage Moog Modular or a brand new one like a synthesizers.com. :)
I'm building a MOTM modular. Ask me again in about six months, though, as I just got my first modules.

Seth

analogcontrolfreak

Post by analogcontrolfreak » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:33 am

Good Luck!

THM

Post by THM » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:50 pm

Enjoy & let us know how it goes !!
http://www.myspace.com/thmsynthfreak

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:12 pm

I'm using the Voyager in connection with my modular set up: Doepfer, Analogue Solutions, and Wiard modules. As it's all 1V/Oct, there's no problem with connectivity. The wonderful thing about modulars is that there is no limit to the modulation routing. (Want to experiment with outputs > inputs? Oscs modulating themselves? No problem!). The downside is no patch memories, and sometimes no limitations leads to blank tape syndrome...

-andrew bunny

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:52 am

I have a Voyager+251,351 and a MOTM/Blacet system.

So far for MOTM it's
1 VCO (with 2 ultras VCO's on order),
1 filter(with 3 more on order),
2 EG's, 2 VCA's, CV mixer, Mult, LFO.

Blacet(soon to be converted to MOTM format)
A Mini-Wave,
Binary Zone,
Time Machine
I/O
2 Dark Star Chaos

Ken Stone home made
Synthacon VCF

Just getting deeper into the modular stuff. It all works great with the Voyager.

donato

Post by donato » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:15 pm

Hi sir_dss,

How would you rate each of those components with your voyager. Also, don't you need two Time Machines with the Voyager for it to be in stereo? Which module do you find best? Worst? Best value, etc. I would love to hear more. I also have the 251 and 351 w/ my Voyager and am looking to expand.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:28 pm

Things have been a bit busy but...

The Blacet Binary Zone
Makes for a wonderful simple sequencer with gate outputs. Create some sort of melody/sequence and trigger the Moog's envelope with it.

I love to use the Voyager's touchpad to control the Delay time on the Blacet Time Machine with the 351. I also have a MF-104. So the X controls the TM's delay, the Y controls the 104's delay and A controls both of the feedback amounts from the delays.

The Dark Star is just audio violence. And not in production anymore.

Blacet Miniwave:
Works great as an extra VCO when run into the Voyager's Ext.In. All sorts of digital waveforms. Don't be scared about the digital term in this context it works great to BLEND with other analog VCO and through the Voyager's VCF. And when driven with a LFO you get all sorts of strange waveform patterns like the "Batman wave" or the "Skyscraper wave" that sound pretty different/awesome" As a quantizer it really helps the Binary Zone so the BZ stays in standard pitch. No microtonal sequences, that way you can play along with these sequences with another synth.

MOTM MODULES just rule.

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:40 am

sir_dss,

I have just started a blacet modular with a miniwave, precisely for the reason in your response. So, as it has not arrived yet, pray tell how you connect it to the voyager. I am assuming that you use another saw osc (driven by the voyager's pitch out) into the miniwave? Or do you just send the voyager's pre-filter mix?

ta

suth.

p.s. I use my voyager in conjuntion with doepfer and analogue sys modules (plus one or two CVable pedals) all the time. I *really* wish the vx351 allowed you to tap out the individual oscillator signals, though, as this would make the voyager a true modular monster :)

gd

Post by gd » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:05 am

I want to get started in building modular unit as well. sir_dss would you recommend the Dark Star? I have never played one but I like your description of audio violence. I sort of want to add the dimension to my setup which includes a Source and various EMU gear, but I find that wild in your face sound missing.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:15 pm

suthnear

I do the the MW pre mixer using the effects loop. Use the SEND side of the Y cable to the input of the MW into your moduals VCF>VCA or whatever you use. Triangle waves are the best but you can get some great messed up sounds with other waveforms. I like to use a seperate VCO like my MOTM 300 to drive the MW so I can still use the MMV. You can also send the left output(unless you run the MMV in stereo) to the MW and send it back to the EXT. IN on the MMV for an extra voice. It won't be as clean but for what I use it for it's alright.

For MW LFO modulation, I send the LFO output from the VX-351 to the MW IN then go to the MMV's FILTER, WAVE, VOLUME inputs on the back panel ot the MMV.

I've actually bought the expander for the MW so I now can have 10 diffrent eproms! It's not done yet but take a look.

http://www.hylander.com/miniwave.html

http://wiseguysynth.com/larry/mw2090/cv ... _front.jpg

gd

The DSC does rule but out of production. But don't worry the best part of the DSC is controling the Noise Clock. So you can move from a tide of white hiss to a drop of click with a turn of a knob. Ken Stone has a pcb that seems easy to build that is just the noise clock.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/

It's under the sections "Modules" then under "Digital Noise". I don't know if if it work with the EMU, Source set up unless it had quite a bit of CV in's and outs.

later

MW=Blacet Mini-Wave
MMV=MiniMoog Voyager
DSC=Blacet Dark Star Chaos

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:12 am

sir_dss,

Cool, thanks - looking well forward to the miniwave :) Just out of interest, how does the sound of the motm oscillator compare with that of the voyager?

gd

As an alternative to the dark star, check out Wiard's Noise Ring. Grant Richter is regarded as one of the best designers out there so this should be an awesome module. It's certainly on my list :)

gd

Post by gd » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:07 am

the learning curve has begun, thanks all. I will have to rely on your expertice as I just haven't found anyone here, Toronto Canada area who is into the modular setups. I was in Chicago last spring and heard one being played and I am sure that thing "growled" it was an spine chilling earth shaking sound. I only wish I had had the opportunity to talk with him about his setup.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:07 pm

suthnear

So far I only have the MOTM 310 mini VCO so it's not fair to compare to all the deluxe waveforms from the MMV. I should be getting 2 MOTM 300 Ultra VCO's soon. That will be much more fair comparison.

I really really hate terms like these when describing sound but...

I will say the MMV sounds rounder, smoother than the 310. That's one MMV VCO, an equal way to judge.(I patch the MMV VCO from the effects loop. I believe the MMV VCO signal is unfiltered at that point).

Yet the 310 does not sound harsh or cold. It's just present. It has that warmth and almost cozy(some say wounded) structure. And it's true, very stable tuning. I like it! I'm glad I went with MOTM. I do wish they had a oactive switch on their VCO's though. Someone does make a module for this though sometimes. Larry Stooge I think.

I want a Noise Ring too. I see a MOTM custom version on the website. Wow. I need to make some $$$!

gd

Post by gd » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:42 pm

what book would you guys recommend that I buy to start my edumication.