I Dimmed the Eye-knocking MOD WHEELS

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
waytho

I Dimmed the Eye-knocking MOD WHEELS

Post by waytho » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Hello, Gang:
I've noticed some comments about the Mod Wheels being too bright. I LOVE my Mahogany Blue and while playing it, this wasn't a huge problem. But, when I'd step back to admire my beast, the Wheels were just too bright (and just didn't look good next to all my other synths lit up in a dark studio or even compared to the Moog's panel).

Now, (wish I could post anonymously for any warrantee voiding reasons 8) ) but I had to crack her open anyway to install that adapter for the VX-351 CV Expander so was feeling pretty brave.

I accessed the Mod Wheel panel (two simple screws on the front) and found that each wheel has an LED that happened to be pointed right up at my eyes. I simply and gently bent the connectors on each LED so that the light pointed more downward. Carefull here: I'm sure they can't take much bending back and forth!
So, now the inside of my cabinet is bathed in a wonderful electric blue -- instead of my studio :D I'm gonna love this every time I power up!! I really don't think there is an issue of heat because when the LEDs were pointed up they were much closer to the circuit board.

Cheers!
Wayne

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Post some pictures please!

For the record I have heard that there is a trim pot that would have let you dim them.

Me personally Im not going to go gallavanting about in my Voyager without approval and a serious step by step guide.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Mine is out of warranty. One of the first things I did when I got it was to open it up and look inside. I put a bit of opaque material on mine to dim them. The signature doesn't have backlight and the wheels were way too bright in a dimly lit room.
Those 2 LEDs are amazingly bright! I've also considered soldering in 2 different color LEDs in mine just to be unique. Red for bend and Green for Mod or some such.
As I said, mine is out of warranty and I'm not afraid of playing with it.
I'd love to get hold of some schematics to do a little more 'modding' of the machine. (Separate the mod to the individule wave control knobs is the first thing to come to mind.) Just want to do a little un'normal'izing of the routing.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Just Me wrote:/snip/
Those 2 LEDs are amazingly bright! I've also considered soldering in 2 different color LEDs in mine just to be unique. Red for bend and Green for Mod or some such. /snip/
2 LED's? The LP has FOUR! :shock: Probably due to the frosted wheel texture, as opposed to the Voyager's clear wheels. I love custom lights! Have you seen what I've done with my LP's wheel lights? :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

psicolor

Re: I Dimmed the Eye-knocking MOD WHEELS

Post by psicolor » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:21 am

waytho wrote:I simply and gently bent the connectors on each LED so that the light pointed more downward.
Thank you for that idea! The extreme brightness of the LEDs is
just intolerable, but with your advise I "fixed" my voyager!
http://www.psicolor.de

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Mine are frosted so they aren't that bad really

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Igor

Re: I Dimmed the Eye-knocking MOD WHEELS

Post by Igor » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:29 pm

waytho wrote:... the Wheels were just too bright (and just didn't look good next to all my other synths lit up in a dark studio or even compared to the Moog's panel) ... So, now the inside of my cabinet is bathed in a wonderful electric blue -- instead of my studio
Just made it - thank you very much. It is now "dimmed blue", in harmony with a backlight and really better! I suppose this was an original idea of that LEDs.

BTW: why they didn't made a dimmer joined with panel backlight knob? That's an idea...!
Voyager EB, VX-351, CP-251, Moogerfoogers, Theremin standard, Theremin Plus
DSI Prophet '08, Korg KARMA w/MOSS, Arturia Origin
Mackie Onyx 1620 w/FW, Lexicon MX400, Apogee Duet
OSX/Logic Studio (G4/G5/Intel)

Mos Fet

Post by Mos Fet » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Thank you as well. The jade wheels cast a post apocalyptic green tinge to my skin that made me look ever uglier.

I think I made a mistake on Jade. It's rather radioactive.

Is the backlighting of the panel also just LEDs? I could switch them myself! Post-warrantee, of course
-Mos Fet

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Mos Fet wrote:Thank you as well. The jade wheels cast a post apocalyptic green tinge to my skin that made me look ever uglier.

I think I made a mistake on Jade. It's rather radioactive.

Is the backlighting of the panel also just LEDs? I could switch them myself! Post-warrantee, of course
The backlight I think is some kind of electroluminescence. Can't be changed...at least, not easily. I like the jade. Would you re-sell it to me at a greatly discounted price? I like post apocalyptic glowing! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Sun May 17, 2009 11:02 am

I changed my Performer's blue LEDs to the red "Fire" version (partially inspired by the Prophet '08 ES) and this works much better in a darkened studio. Blue has always been too harsh for me. FWIW, I am also happy with the non-backlit Performer....

psicolor

Post by psicolor » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:59 am

Mos Fet wrote: I think I made a mistake on Jade. It's rather radioactive.
That's the reason why I love the Jade! It looks so toxic that you always feel like on acid when you play with the voyager :D

Jade also fits perfectly to the green backlight of the LCD!
http://www.psicolor.de