please help me, I don't want to sell my Moog!

Everything Phatty.
tixxican

please help me, I don't want to sell my Moog!

Post by tixxican » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:18 pm

I have a dilemma.

I have a Fantom G6, Nord Lead 1 and a Little Phatty St1, but only have room for 2 synths, and the Fantom has to stay. Now, everyone reading this will probably say with out a doubt the Phatty stays. I too would like to say the same but I have a problem.

Every time I tweak the 2, I am always so much more rewarded by the Nord's abilty to sculpt sounds and it can sound very meaty too. I did so much more research on the LP and love everything about its design and the fact it's true analogue. I even come on here to help me change my mind.

When I have a Moog session, I take a preset start tweaking. I really enjoy it and come up with what I feel, is a great sound. Then I compare it to the preset and it sounds...well...crap!

Can someone help me love my Moog and get more out of it, because at this rate the Nord is going to stay.

Thanks for reading

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:20 pm

If you really like the Nord that much, I'd say keep it. The Little Phatty isn't for everyone. I personally don't like Nords. It seems the Nord suits your needs more. I've always been a proponent of the "Buy What You Need" mentality. If the Phatty doesn't suit your needs, sell it to someone whose needs it does suit.

I personally would NEVER get rid of any of my gear, but nor would I buy a Roland or a Nord if I couldn't help it. Just my $0.02. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

dlearyus

good things come in 3's

Post by dlearyus » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 pm

....or you could buy a 3 tier keyboard stand and keep them all ;)

Cheers :)

DL

Voltor07

Re: good things come in 3's

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:27 pm

dlearyus wrote:....or you could buy a 3 tier keyboard stand and keep them all ;)

Cheers :)

DL
Great idea! Wish I'd thought of that. :idea:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

soundxplorer

Re: please help me, I don't want to sell my Moog!

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

tixxican wrote:Every time I tweak the 2, I am always so much more rewarded by the Nord's abilty to sculpt sounds
To each their own. I sold my NL1 in order to pay for my LP. I don't miss it. I have software synths that can sound like the Nord. But no software sounds like the real analog goodness of the LP.

I don't know much about the Fantom - does it have the same VA in it that the V-Synth has? Or is it just a ROMpler? The Nord has a great user interface though. I would totally understand if you decided to keep it.

tixxican

Post by tixxican » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:39 pm

Cheers for your quick responses.

Would love to go for a 3 tier stand, but the Fantom will be on a desk and the second synth I will have to adapt my own tier for it to rest above. Believe me, I've tried every situation and this is the only option to me.

tixxican

Post by tixxican » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Yeh, the Fantom is pure for ready made sounds, my sequencer and sampler. Can't get my head around computers at this time (new to music production) and feel this is my best way of getting started.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:01 pm

"When I have a Moog session, I take a preset start tweaking. I really enjoy it and come up with what I feel, is a great sound. Then I compare it to the preset and it sounds...well...crap!"

So the problem is that your patches don't sound as good as the presets? You say that you're coming up with sounds that you feel are great, so what exactly isn't working?

The Nord Lead 2 is a classic VA synth, and it is indeed quite useful. If you aren't getting your money's worth on it, pass the LP on, there's nothing more sad than great gear that's just collecting dust.

My personal opinion? I owned a Nord Lead 3 for a while, got bored w/ it. It's fun and in-depth, but once you start getting used to using computers I think you'll see the Nord is really an easy device to emulate, and just about any VST or synth in Reason can emulate it at this point. Reason in particular has a unison module that'll get those huge detuned leads you're probably enjoying so much on the Nord Lead 2.

If you can get into the computer thing, the Nord is really quite replaceable, while the LP cannot really be emulated, analog just sounds better. The only real benefit I can think of to justify selling an LP is if you absolutely must have the polyphony for live show use.
www.ctrlshft.com

tixxican

Post by tixxican » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:12 pm

The poly doesn't bother me, as I purchased them both mainly for lead and bass.

What I would like to be able to do is also create my own sound fx, which I seem to be able to create on the Nord easily but not on LP. (may have been easier if i'd mentioned this in the beginning)

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 pm

tixxican wrote:The poly doesn't bother me, as I purchased them both mainly for lead and bass.

What I would like to be able to do is also create my own sound fx, which I seem to be able to create on the Nord easily but not on LP. (may have been easier if i'd mentioned this in the beginning)
Guess it depends on what sort of SFX you're looking for, but the LP is extremely flexible w/ the amount of extra routing options it offers. Have you ever considered picking up a cp-251 or mf-102? Either of those would open up worlds of SFX utilizing the LP's CV in jacks.
www.ctrlshft.com

tixxican

Post by tixxican » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 pm

My Moog knowlege is bretty basic but I have looked at the cp-251. I haven't looked to purchase until I get to grips with the LP 1st.

I suppose ultimately I am after that really cheesy 70s style sci-fi sound, but need to know I can a achieve with a modern synth.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Lemme ante in on this one...

Think about it like this...people like Wendy Carlos, Kieth Emerson....they didn't have any reference material when they programmed their synths. They picked a waveshape, filtered it and let it rip. (Of corse Carlos is a genius programmer) What im trying to say is they just had to deal with whatever they came across, they didn't have to ask themselves "Is this classic?" they were defining what is classic.

With that in mind, what I would do is to stop using presets as an example, and start designing your own patches from scratch.

Pick an octave, pick a waveshape, set the filter and the envelopes and let her rip! Let the Moog tell you what feels good in a track. I have gotten to the point where I only use original programs in my music when I deal with the Voyager. I start from scratch when Im recording or I just go into the bank of presets that ive saved and I let it go.

Heres someting else to think about which is the route that ive taken.

One of my Professors is a guitar man. He has a guitar and a Vox amp. He set the amp where he wanted and removed the pots so that tone can't be changed. He said "If you don't like the sound on track 1 you won't like the way the guitar sounds on track 2".
With this in mind, I created my own few standard lead presets from scratch. I come up with the best lead sound that I can, save the preset and move on. Eventually Ill come back to it when the time is right.

So thats what I would do....Id spend some time creating your perfect preset....the kind of synth sound you like to hear the most. Don't worry about if its classic sounding or good sounding....i guarentee you that someone will think that its great sounding.

I think really, its just about being confident in the sound quality of the instrument and being confident in your programming. Otherwise, youll always think every patch you make sounds like crap.

Start from scratch.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 pm

You know... if you want to keep your LP, you'll find a way to keep it along with the Nord and the Roland. Put up shelves... get one of those hutches for your desk... invest in a Standtastic wall mount [http://www.lmproducts.com/dspStandtasticWallmounts.cfm]... If you really want to keep all three boards, you'll find a way...
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:59 am

Had a Nordlead 2 for a long time and it was collecting more dust then being played on.
I really tried to like this synth but the sound was always to thin for me and editing it was more like a chore.

About a year ago i took the chance to sell the Nordlead 2 for a very good price and bought a Voyager instead and never looked back....best choice i have ever made and till now never had any regret with this decision.

tixxican

Post by tixxican » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Thankyou all for your responses, they have really inspired me.

I am now very excited bout my LP and have remebered the original reason I bought it, to understand and play a real synthesizer. I will be spending this weekend making my own sounds. Feels like I'm starting all over again, cheers everyone!!