Moog Source Membrane Switches

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
djthomaswhite

Moog Source Membrane Switches

Post by djthomaswhite » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Does anyone have an extra Moog Source Membrane Switch replacement they would be willing to sell me? I need one to get my synth in full working order. Please contact me privately if you do. Thanks!

djthomaswhite (@) hotmail dot com
Thomas

Whitewash Minimoog Voyager Old School SN#0218, Little Phatty Tribute 2.0 SN#0661, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104 (Original), MF-105, Moog Source (100% rebuilt from fried board up!)

joebuck

Post by joebuck » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Just keep checking Ebay someone is always selling a repro.

fieldhymns

Post by fieldhymns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:35 pm

Does anyone know how often that is? From my research it seems there is one fellow "chipsforbrains" who seems to have them occasionally, but not for while from the looks of it. Has anyone had any experience with any other dealers in the trafficking of membranes? Or is this the only guy who has them?
I sure would like my Source to function correctly but the waiting is killing me.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, if Technology Transplant is no longer offering them on eBay, you could always do this....
http://www.mysterycircuits.com/source/intro.html
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

fieldhymns

Post by fieldhymns » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm

yes i saw that - that is a whole lot of work - i suppose if there is no other options that is certainly the last one. And thanks for the name of the repro manufacturers!

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:13 am

May I ask what's wrong with your original?

If it's cracked, torn or whatever, I can understand why a replacement would be sought.
However if it's otherwise in good condition and not working reliably or just bad in certain sections, it might be repairable.
The most common problems are broken traces, tarnished contacts or worn away contact points at the end of the connectors.

I do recommend using a new duped panel if they're available, but all might not be lost if the situations are as described above.

Everyone's mileage varies.... :)

fieldhymns

Post by fieldhymns » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 am

sure - no problem. The membrane is in good physical shape (no rips or whatnot) but a number of what I assume are the contacts are out, as the buttons do not work. Both of the envelope releases, the emphasis, as well as the 16' and the triangle buttons for oc1 are out. Are there ways to repair these membranes? I have searched the internets from top to bottom and have yet to run across a fix for membrane issues other than hardwiring like the gentleman above or waiting for a new or salvaged membrane to show itself.

There are actually other problems that might be related to the membrane shorts, but since I acquired the Source in this condition I do know now if those can be remedied with membrane work: the Source is very sensitive to pressure on any part of the membrane or the aluminum housing - by resting your hand on it, it randomly drops or raises the octave - it happens when pressing too hard on the program buttons as well. And the pitch sometimes drifts quite noticeably for no apparent reason. A whole basket of fun, this one. But when it works - my my my, it's magic. Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:18 am

Yeah, it all sounds familiar to me.
However each case is an individual and up to whatever the specific tech employs to fix it.
Not all techniques or attempts are proper or will last long-term.

For example, I had in one unit that was repaired by another tech, worked fine for about 4 days, then started failing again.
The tech added some silicone rubber between the membranes in order to separate the contacts further.
He was addressing a problem such as you're experiencing with ultra-sensitive buttons.
But silicone adhesive gives off acetic acid as it dries and this caused the silver contacts to tarnish in just days.
But because the halves were now bonded together, there was no way for me to detarnish the contacts.
The membrane was essentially ruined by a bad repair choice.

I've also seen several Sources (and Chromas) where the panel membrane was actually fine, but other problems were responsible.

fieldhymns

Post by fieldhymns » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:21 am

So it seems finding a new membrane is probably the safest bet then? I can see how the drifting can be something beyond the membrane's control but is it possible that the buttons failure is not broken leads? So it is possible to peel these layers apart?

In a forum (perhaps here) I read that a factor in the failure of these membranes is the hardness of the plastic used in the manufacture of the membrane, and that the new ones were softer and potentially less likely to pose problems in the future. Is Technology Transplant the only folks making repros out there? Seems like a good market to be in, if most if not all are of these Sources are going to face this slow demise. I just hope they STILL make them. I found their site and emailed - http://technologytransplant.biz/- but the membrane is not listed. How much do these things go for? I bet it is a mad rush when they do go up.