Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
///OSS

Post by ///OSS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:///OSS and Christopher W. have the right ideas. Now we're getting somewhere! :mrgreen:
problem is that those ideas more or less already exist, it's called the Voyager. :wink:
I couldn't disagree with you more...the idea for the LP was to bring the moog sound to the many... I for one have no use to spend on a voyager as the LP has brought me the sound i was looking for for a reasonable amount of money...and believe me money is not in question here, if I wanted too Id have 2 voyagers, but it has to make logical sense synthesis wise why i would add any machine to my setup.

As time progresses the needs and requirements of profesional producers and synthesists evolve, not just giging musicians that use moog hardware for their stage needs... the LP I think is also very quaint and complete to add that flavor without having to exit the DAW realm that much and with things like "VOLTA" coming out and the current modular resurgence happening in the eurorack format, it is obvious that things are changing and twisting and adapting towards more immersion and integration.

The LP with stereo in and outs and a bit more modulation routing in the FM and AM areas with a minimal amount of CV GATE I/O (not like the voyager of course but at least one set of outs is not much to ask) I believe would sink it in a nice spot, It would become a tool to process the mass amounts of VA's being used anyways in production at a comfortable price and get that moog VCO and Filter to go along with it.

how could you ask for more?

There is plenty of room for more gung ho purists to evolve to the voyager if need be, but it seems like with the way things are going at the moment, tight concise packages with a lot of bank for the buck are where its at.
Little Phatty Stage #0042 - OS2.0 | CP-251 | MF-107 FreqBox | MF-102 Ring | MF-105B Bass MuRF

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

///OSS, you and I think alike, although I could never afford two, or even one, Voyager. The Little Phatty is a synth like no other, and unrivaled by all others in it's price range. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:53 pm

OSS,
TO each his own but just like I posted here
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

theres no redundancy to having both a Voyager and a Phatty. As Im sure you already know with your system, its all about cumulatively expanding your Moog SYSTEM.

But Its nice to know that you are pleased enough with your phatty to keep it like it is.

Keep in touch!

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 pm

And change the shape. I'd rather have more of a wedge shape than the current design with the tail.
I know it would look more plain, but in tight studios it's an advantage to have smaller gear.
Thought I'm not sure what all is packed inside of the phatty's lil rump, I'm sure they could "fold" it up to be more fluch with the back. I know, it would look like an Yamaha CS-10, I'd rather funtion over form in this case. (no pun intended, for real this time)
CS-10
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs10.shtml

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:45 am

The power supply is under the "rump", as you call it. There really is no other place to put the power supply, although it takes up very little space. A traditional wedge could be possible, but would in the end take up MORE space. Trust me, I already thought about it when I thought about making my own wood ends. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

///OSS

Post by ///OSS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 am

EricK wrote:OSS,
TO each his own but just like I posted here
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

theres no redundancy to having both a Voyager and a Phatty. As Im sure you already know with your system, its all about cumulatively expanding your Moog SYSTEM.

But Its nice to know that you are pleased enough with your phatty to keep it like it is.

Keep in touch!

Eric
hey Eric, I think maybe we misunderstood eachother

I wasnt implying that having a voyager on top of a LP would be redundant at all...that be great as far as I'm concerned... I was just countering the argument that if the LP had a little more features that then it would just be a voyager and I disagreed with the original poster.

I have enough fooger pedals and external sequencers, processors and CP's to compliment my LP enough that I have no use for a voyager at the moment, too add it would be redundant in my setup.

all I would love would be a couple more things implemented on the LP and it be even more valuable and complete.
Little Phatty Stage #0042 - OS2.0 | CP-251 | MF-107 FreqBox | MF-102 Ring | MF-105B Bass MuRF

///OSS

Post by ///OSS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am

Voltor07 wrote:///OSS, you and I think alike, although I could never afford two, or even one, Voyager. The Little Phatty is a synth like no other, and unrivaled by all others in it's price range. :mrgreen:
agree and agree :D

tubeampguy

Post by tubeampguy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:15 am

MarkM wrote:I too would love to see the step sequencer and more CV in/out options. How about a second filter that is not a ladder style lowpass variety? Perhaps it could be a formant or comb.

Yes Yes Yes, More CV in/out would be great. I need those because I don't use keyboards with my synths ;) I'm a guitar player! Its all analog sequencer, Sample and Hold, LFO's etc.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 pm

If we can't have a step-sequencer in the Phatty, I'll opt for the MF-106 in a CP-251 format sequencer!!

That would rock.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:20 am

I have a Voyager RME and a LPTE, and almost all the moogerfoogers, cp-251's, VX's, etc...

I still love the LP for it's straightforward approach. I think if they added too much, it'd either drive the price up, or make the Voyager redundant.

Having said that, if they were to add anything to it, I'd like very much to see aftertouch, and maybe a multi mode filter.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 am

peterkadar wrote: Having said that, if they were to add anything to it, I'd like very much to see aftertouch, and maybe a multi mode filter.
That'd work as well! :idea:

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:12 am

I skimmed the posts, I didn't notice seeing this idea.
Is it possible to have a mode that breaks up the oscillators to make the phatty a duo phonic (two-keys played ate a time)?
With splits? and a simple step sequencer....I know I know...but how about it, duophonia at least?
Is that software do-able? I guess I mean, might that be possible in future Phatty Stage II updates?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 am

wooperman wrote:I skimmed the posts, I didn't notice seeing this idea.
Is it possible to have a mode that breaks up the oscillators to make the phatty a duo phonic (two-keys played ate a time)?
With splits? and a simple step sequencer....I know I know...but how about it, duophonia at least?
Is that software do-able? I guess I mean, might that be possible in future Phatty Stage II updates?
I don't see how that would be possible. Adding voices is a lot more complicated than what software can accomplish. You'd need two of everything else, such as VCA's, filters, etc. I am working on a patch that sounds like duophony, but isn't. I call it Area 51, as it replaces preset 51. I can post it on Knob Tweak if anyone's interested. It sounds like a cheesy organ.

otto

Post by otto » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 am

I rather like the LP as it is. The only thing I would say is that if more and more functionality is added via the menu it would be nice if more hardware control was added as well. Of course this would probably drive up the price which seems counterintuitive to the point of the LP. I’ve mentioned it before but I think Moog would be smart to make a non-keyboard modular LP (along the lines of the FR XS) with lots of cv ins and outs. This could be used as the base of a modular system that would make great use of the foogers, voyager, other modular systems, etc. I imagine it would do quite well.

A rack or box that added 3 voices of polyphony would be great.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 am

Excellent ideas otto! The forums are full of LPRME and polyexpansion ideas. I rather like the idea of a semi-modular LP. Great suggestion! :mrgreen: