What if MOOG MUSIC were to produce a new polophonic synth...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Christopher J. Boylan

What if MOOG MUSIC were to produce a new polophonic synth...

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:43 pm

This is really an offshoot of another thread - the one about the discontinuation of the Voyager Old School. I was just making the point that Moog Music was most likely making room so that they can develop a cool new product. I was pulling for a new polysynth.

As follows:
My wish?? Probably a nice, 61 or better yet, a 76 key polyphonic synth with the same quality and basic design as Voyager - traditional analog waveforms with knobs, switches and all. 8 Voices should do the trick. Perhaps with some of LP in there too to help cut down on knobs just a bit. THE MOOD TANK! Such a KILLER instrument that MILITARY TRAINING is required to own one.
Oh, with a removable 'back-lit optical ribbon controller built in as standard equipment.
Oh... might as well add a nice card slot - right there in the front panel... for adding banks of complex waveforms - those can be an after market thing...

alainhubert said:
I agree, we all want a polyphonic Moog synth. That should be on Moog Music's "to do" list. I just can't imagine the price of such a beast!

Now, I was thinking that if they took the design right from Little Phatty, that could help keep the price down a bit.

Now, my card slot thing for adding complex waveforms might be cool. I mean, think of a Memorymoog, but wtih LP type contol and the card slot just puts complex waveforms into the mix - sort of like the external signal input. You could insert, say a piano sound which would either replace or be added to the oscillators and could be manipulated fully by all of the synths features, i.e. envelopes, filter, etc. The only synth that was designed to do this kind of thing that I know of was the Korg DSS1, but it was a conventional black-box, parameter controlled design.

That could be cool, if it's feasible. But my question to you all is this:
Asside from that, what could be produced in a polysynth that hasn't already been done?
Buy cape. Wear cape. Fly.

Jrayk Roze

Post by Jrayk Roze » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:45 pm

just this one time, I hope history doesn't repeat itself
Voyager Old School #0005, Etherwave #18321, Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai, CP-251, and a Nord Lead 2X

Christopher J. Boylan

Post by Christopher J. Boylan » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 pm

IMHO, the Memorymoog was one hell of a synth. I've owned one for 20 something years. But I think the technology of the time made it a bit un-roadworthy. But aside from that, I still don't think that there was ever anything that could touch it.
Buy cape. Wear cape. Fly.

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:19 pm

I remember seeing a post from Amos with an oblique reference to a polysynth, so who knows.

To be honest, though, I don'th think I'd really care if Moog produced apolysynth, since it would almost certainly be priced well out of my reach... by several orders of magnitude.

Moreover, I have naval and not military training, so I wouldn't be allowed to play it...
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

MC

Post by MC » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:20 am

Good timing - just finished my Memorymoog page

I have more to add later to the page

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguedieh ... emorymoog/

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 am

In all honesty I don't think that my keyboard skills warrant me having a polysynth.

I think that If I did get something like that, Id get a poly.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 am

I have no musical skills whatsoever. That hasn't kept me from producing pleasing music, though.

What hasn't been done in a polysynth? What about a keyboard with multiple points on each key that allow you to bend the notes by wiggling your finger(s) side to side? :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:10 am

Voltor07 wrote:I have no musical skills whatsoever. That hasn't kept me from producing pleasing music, though.

What hasn't been done in a polysynth? What about a keyboard with multiple points on each key that allow you to bend the notes by wiggling your finger(s) side to side? :wink:
http://www.bikexprt.com/music/refine.htm

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:21 am

Voltor07 wrote:What hasn't been done in a polysynth? What about a keyboard with multiple points on each key that allow you to bend the notes by wiggling your finger(s) side to side? :wink:
Yamaha combo organs had this back in the 1970s. It was called touch vibrato.
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:41 am

I think Moog is certainly capable of designing the most bad ass polyphonic thing ever, but I really think price would be a factor. The average musician cannot even justify the price of a Voyager. If Moog dropped Voyager prices and introduced the poly whatever at the Voyager price, then I'd be looking for stuff around my house to sell! However, unless Moog could sell a poly for equal or lesser cost of a Voyager, I (personally) would not consider it.

In no way am I trying to talk smack about Moog either. They are one of the few companies I trust. I consider my Moog gear to be some of the most inspiring instruments I've ever played and have no regrets about any purchase. I will also say, that had I not been able to get money from my student loans, I would not have been able to afford their lovely gear for many years.

I am totally OK with them not doing a poly synth and continuing to build mono synths geared toward performance. I will always get more use out of a patchable mono thing than a poly "beast."

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 am

Yeah,
If it hadn't been for income taxes ad credit lines last year I would still be sitting here with only a Micro, THeremin and a Ring Mod.

Look at the Korg Oaysis. Thats like an 8 thousand dollar unit. Its catered to people like Herbie Hancock. Maybe they could pump out a synth that costs what the Moog guitar does.

Look at Wendy Carlos's modular....it had some kind of polyphonic section

Image Im sure that while a modular thing isn't what people hailing for as a polysynth, they could definately do it.

A+ to the Moog stuff being so inspiring. Its one of the only Professional quality instruments that I own.

timmy

Re: What if MOOG MUSIC were to produce a new polophonic synt

Post by timmy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 am

Christopher J. Boylan wrote: Now, my card slot thing for adding complex waveforms might be cool. I mean, think of a Memorymoog, but wtih LP type contol and the card slot just puts complex waveforms into the mix - sort of like the external signal input. You could insert, say a piano sound which would either replace or be added to the oscillators and could be manipulated fully by all of the synths features, i.e. envelopes, filter, etc. The only synth that was designed to do this kind of thing that I know of was the Korg DSS1, but it was a conventional black-box, parameter controlled design.
Wouldn't need a card slot so costs for R&D and manufacturing could further be reduced - use the USB port to load an infinite number of waveforms. And with a software interface you could create you own and share with friends (like me!).

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:13 pm

I like the idea of USB expansion. Flash drive technology would be the way to go IMHO. Kind of like the PianoBar except with flash drives! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm

EricK wrote:Im sure that while a modular thing isn't what people hailing for as a polysynth, they could definately do it.
I'd sell a kidney for a modular poly thing. Especially if it were actually called Modular Poly Thing.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Well WHy can't you do it now? Kidneys are hot these days.

Id sell both my kidneys and donate about 9 or 10 pints of blood on top of that.