Analog or Digital Polyphonic Synth Suggestions

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:37 pm

EricK wrote:WHat about the Andromeda A6?

Seems that Ive heard those things sound pretty nice, roughtly the same price as the Voyager?

Eric
don't expect it to be any good at "normal keyboardsounds" like hammond rhodes etc. i like it a lot, though it'ss complexity puts it somewhere between the p8 and softsynth's l. a bit like oberheimexander.
for those who like to tweak and spend time tweaking , a bit more the meditating style of synthing. or you should stick to the presets afcourse.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm

:):) I thought the A6 came up already:):):) It is a very nice synth, I think it is only speical order now, maybe not. It has a lot under the hood to play with that is not apparent on the surface. I've only played with one once when they had them in the stores. It was okay but wasn't what I wanted at the time. With the Prophet 08 I'm happy, if and when another Analog Poly comes out ( no matter who makes it) I'll check it out.

I am using the keyboard version of the Prophet 08, the prophet 08 does really nice pads and strings, I've had no problem tweaking factory presets or making my own. To me it does them all well, if I need something to thicken it or expand it I have other synths to layer with it. But on it's own the Prophet hold ups well.

rajprods: You have a lot of nice gear, if it is working ofr you and you don't feel a void it should be fine. I'd look for something from Roland to put the card in though. Maybe add some MoogerFoogers and a Lexicon Mx200 ( or something similar) if you don't all ready have them. it's always nice to have one or two mono analogs around. look at a little Phatty. :) Use the Rhodes once in awhile to record :)

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:16 pm

For someone working in Logic with soft synths
For someone not overly attached to modern or old-school kit
For someone who wants an analogue sound...

Access Virus Ti.

It's not analogue, but there's something about the modeling that "feels" more analogue than, say, the SuperNova. It'll integrate with the studio layout nicely, and there's a choice of 61 or 37 key models.

I've got the older version, the Indigo 2; I had to have one after hearing a Virus b desktop.

FWIW, I have owned a Juno 6 and a Roland JX10, the SuperJX was a limited, annoying device to work with and really quite soul-less - I would consider a Roland JD800 (or, since you've got that SR-JV card kicking about, a rackmount JD990) a better bet, but even then I went over to a newer XV since I never really got into programming the JD.

Your Triton will do the pads well. The SE is the fun monosynth IIRC? The Lead does some nice glitchy stuff and some weirder sounds. An Access Virus would give you the fat, analogue-feeling sounds and 80-voice polyphony (max, of course, it's really more like 32 apparently) plus easy access from the sequencer.

I also tried the Prophet '08, but the shop hadn't set it up with stereo outputs and as such, I didn't get into it.

Access have incorporated a model of the Moog filter. I have no idea if it's really accurate, but the synth IS impressive.

FWIW, I'm using my Voyager with a t.c. electronics FireworX. THAT can make some pretty screwed-up sounds...
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Brian G wrote::):) I thought the A6 came up already:):):) It is a very nice synth, I think it is only speical order now, maybe not. It has a lot under the hood to play with that is not apparent on the surface. I've only played with one once when they had them in the stores. It was okay but wasn't what I wanted at the time. With the Prophet 08 I'm happy, if and when another Analog Poly comes out ( no matter who makes it) I'll check it out.

I am using the keyboard version of the Prophet 08, the prophet 08 does really nice pads and strings, I've had no problem tweaking factory presets or making my own. To me it does them all well, if I need something to thicken it or expand it I have other synths to layer with it. But on it's own the Prophet hold ups well.

rajprods: You have a lot of nice gear, if it is working ofr you and you don't feel a void it should be fine. I'd look for something from Roland to put the card in though. Maybe add some MoogerFoogers and a Lexicon Mx200 ( or something similar) if you don't all ready have them. it's always nice to have one or two mono analogs around. look at a little Phatty. :) Use the Rhodes once in awhile to record :)
In terms of modules, I have a void for really good pianos, pads, and strings. These are available through Logic, but you know sometimes, it's just good to do it the old fashioned way.... or at least without having to boot up Logic and stuff. I'm trying not to be so dependent on Logic, which in some ways have effected my ability to just "play".... if you know what I mean.

An online dealer has a "Scratch and Dent" Prophet 08 synth module for $1,124.00.... very tempting.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm

If you're missing pads, pianos and strings, then Roland XV - 128-voice piano with the SRV Piano card (and you can use your synth card in it too, depending on model).

Can't the A90 be given cards to make it into a synth, or was that just the older JV50/80 expansion card and/or the older A-series controller... for additional polyphony (one was extra voices - the one I had in the JV-50; the other was additional sounds).
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:10 pm

RichardK wrote:If you're missing pads, pianos and strings, then Roland XV - 128-voice piano with the SRV Piano card (and you can use your synth card in it too, depending on model).

Can't the A90 be given cards to make it into a synth, or was that just the older JV50/80 expansion card and/or the older A-series controller... for additional polyphony (one was extra voices - the one I had in the JV-50; the other was additional sounds).
I'm not sure, but I think the JV series vintage synth card I have can go in the XV series. The A90 I have has the expansion card with a few piano, rhodes, and synth sounds. However, they sound a bit "muddy" to me even when compared to the sounds available in Logic. I may even look into the Yamaha ES series, but as suggested, it's probably at least a good idea to use the card I have especially since it's not available anymore.

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:22 pm

RichardK wrote:For someone working in Logic with soft synths
For someone not overly attached to modern or old-school kit
For someone who wants an analogue sound...

Access Virus Ti.

It's not analogue, but there's something about the modeling that "feels" more analogue than, say, the SuperNova. It'll integrate with the studio layout nicely, and there's a choice of 61 or 37 key models.

I've got the older version, the Indigo 2; I had to have one after hearing a Virus b desktop.

FWIW, I have owned a Juno 6 and a Roland JX10, the SuperJX was a limited, annoying device to work with and really quite soul-less - I would consider a Roland JD800 (or, since you've got that SR-JV card kicking about, a rackmount JD990) a better bet, but even then I went over to a newer XV since I never really got into programming the JD.

Your Triton will do the pads well. The SE is the fun monosynth IIRC? The Lead does some nice glitchy stuff and some weirder sounds. An Access Virus would give you the fat, analogue-feeling sounds and 80-voice polyphony (max, of course, it's really more like 32 apparently) plus easy access from the sequencer.

I also tried the Prophet '08, but the shop hadn't set it up with stereo outputs and as such, I didn't get into it.

Access have incorporated a model of the Moog filter. I have no idea if it's really accurate, but the synth IS impressive.

FWIW, I'm using my Voyager with a t.c. electronics FireworX. THAT can make some pretty screwed-up sounds...
Thanks for all the info!

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 am

rajprods wrote:I'm not sure, but I think the JV series vintage synth card I have can go in the XV series. The A90 I have has the expansion card with a few piano, rhodes, and synth sounds. However, they sound a bit "muddy" to me even when compared to the sounds available in Logic. I may even look into the Yamaha ES series, but as suggested, it's probably at least a good idea to use the card I have especially since it's not available anymore.
With UK prices, the cheapest routes to using your card would be JV1080, then possibly the JV80 keyboard (rare, though) - things may be different in the US. I'd recommend picking up a JD990 though, as that has JD800 sounds. The XV 3080/5080 will definitely support your card, the latter also has sample RAM, and if you can pick one up cheap would be a flexible (4 JV, 4 SRX slots) module to have anyway.

I find the JV/XV strings bright, and the built in pianos a bit harsh (which is why I will one day add the expensive dedicated piano board for the XV); most Rhodes/EP sounds tend to sound a bit flat to me and if I listen to them on recordings, they seem appropriate.

A lot of the older S+S synths seemed to aim for output "similar to post mastering"; so in isolation they sound pretty good, but they get lost when in a mix.

I googled, and my memory hadn't failed me - the A90 accepts the VE-JV1 or VE-GS1 card, which is an early 90s expansion board for the very very early JV-35 and 50. From the sounds of it you have the dedicated VE-RD1 board; either way, this isn't going to be the best sound source.

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:53 am

RichardK wrote:
rajprods wrote:I'm not sure, but I think the JV series vintage synth card I have can go in the XV series. The A90 I have has the expansion card with a few piano, rhodes, and synth sounds. However, they sound a bit "muddy" to me even when compared to the sounds available in Logic. I may even look into the Yamaha ES series, but as suggested, it's probably at least a good idea to use the card I have especially since it's not available anymore.
With UK prices, the cheapest routes to using your card would be JV1080, then possibly the JV80 keyboard (rare, though) - things may be different in the US. I'd recommend picking up a JD990 though, as that has JD800 sounds. The XV 3080/5080 will definitely support your card, the latter also has sample RAM, and if you can pick one up cheap would be a flexible (4 JV, 4 SRX slots) module to have anyway.

I find the JV/XV strings bright, and the built in pianos a bit harsh (which is why I will one day add the expensive dedicated piano board for the XV); most Rhodes/EP sounds tend to sound a bit flat to me and if I listen to them on recordings, they seem appropriate.

A lot of the older S+S synths seemed to aim for output "similar to post mastering"; so in isolation they sound pretty good, but they get lost when in a mix.

I googled, and my memory hadn't failed me - the A90 accepts the VE-JV1 or VE-GS1 card, which is an early 90s expansion board for the very very early JV-35 and 50. From the sounds of it you have the dedicated VE-RD1 board; either way, this isn't going to be the best sound source.
This thread is reminding me of all of the synths I've purchased and sold!

I've owned two JV-880's, one JV-1080, and one XV-5050. I basically got tired of the sounds in the JV's, so I sold them. I thought the XV would be a bit better also because it had new sounds. However, after a while, it was the same old stuff in terms of what I used. Also, it did a strange performance patch changes on it's own in Logic, and I never figured out how to stop it, so I got rid of it. I kept the JV series Vintage Synth card because I knew it was discontinued and would be either hard to find or expensive. I paid about $300 for it new when it was readily available, and you can get it on Ebay for about $150? Amazing....

Is there any difference in sound between the JD-990 and the XV-3080 or XV-5080? I know the polphony is much lower in the JD-990 (I think it's 24 voices). Just wondering if it's any difference. If it's not, maybe the XV-3080 would be the better choice because of the polyphony. However, I wouldn't be surprised that I realize it's the same thing that I already had!

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 am

Brian G wrote::):) I thought the A6 came up already:):):) It is a very nice synth, I think it is only speical order now, maybe not. It has a lot under the hood to play with that is not apparent on the surface. I've only played with one once when they had them in the stores. It was okay but wasn't what I wanted at the time. With the Prophet 08 I'm happy, if and when another Analog Poly comes out ( no matter who makes it) I'll check it out.

Just wondering if you've had any experience with the Studio Electronics Omega 8.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:07 am

Sorry, no I haven't had any experience with the Studio Electronics Omega 8.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am

rajprods wrote: This thread is reminding me of all of the synths I've purchased and sold!

I've owned two JV-880's, one JV-1080, and one XV-5050. I basically got tired of the sounds in the JV's, so I sold them. I thought the XV would be a bit better also because it had new sounds. However, after a while, it was the same old stuff in terms of what I used. Also, it did a strange performance patch changes on it's own in Logic, and I never figured out how to stop it, so I got rid of it. I kept the JV series Vintage Synth card because I knew it was discontinued and would be either hard to find or expensive. I paid about $300 for it new when it was readily available, and you can get it on Ebay for about $150? Amazing....

Is there any difference in sound between the JD-990 and the XV-3080 or XV-5080? I know the polphony is much lower in the JD-990 (I think it's 24 voices). Just wondering if it's any difference. If it's not, maybe the XV-3080 would be the better choice because of the polyphony. However, I wouldn't be surprised that I realize it's the same thing that I already had!
Well, you've had a 5050, so you know what to expect from the 3080 I imagine. IME don't let Logic choose patches for you - Emagic NEVER got the hang of instrument specific bank/patch changes and they never finished Sound Diver integration, and since Apple took over much is improved in Studio 8, but MIDI behaviour... ugh. It's why I have five synths, not 13, now - got sick of the MIDI confusion. Actually, I'm really disappointed with Apple's development of CoreMIDI, because it has SO much potential yet seems backwards compared to OMS (can't detect what is connected, despite having the appearance that it should, for example).

Still leaps ahead of Windows, of course, but so much wasted potential.

I think the JD-990 with the vintage card is the way to go there. I believe it offers far more by way of editing and flexibility compared to the JV models. That and an Access Virus Ti (though I am annoyed that my attention has been drawn to the Omega8. I wasn't aware of that before...).

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:52 am

RichardK wrote:
rajprods wrote: This thread is reminding me of all of the synths I've purchased and sold!

Well, you've had a 5050, so you know what to expect from the 3080 I imagine. IME don't let Logic choose patches for you - Emagic NEVER got the hang of instrument specific bank/patch changes and they never finished Sound Diver integration, and since Apple took over much is improved in Studio 8, but MIDI behaviour... ugh. It's why I have five synths, not 13, now - got sick of the MIDI confusion. Actually, I'm really disappointed with Apple's development of CoreMIDI, because it has SO much potential yet seems backwards compared to OMS (can't detect what is connected, despite having the appearance that it should, for example).

Still leaps ahead of Windows, of course, but so much wasted potential.

I think the JD-990 with the vintage card is the way to go there. I believe it offers far more by way of editing and flexibility compared to the JV models. That and an Access Virus Ti (though I am annoyed that my attention has been drawn to the Omega8. I wasn't aware of that before...).
Thanks for the info!

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:41 pm

We should all just wait for the PolyPhatty. ;) (j/k)
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

rajprods

Post by rajprods » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:48 pm

Matt Friedman wrote:We should all just wait for the PolyPhatty. ;) (j/k)
I think it's going to be called the MemoryPolyMiniPhatty!