Voyager Mod!!!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
funkfleaba$$

Voyager Mod!!!

Post by funkfleaba$$ » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Well I thought I would let everyone know... Moog is now offering a new factory modification for the Voyager! I don't know about everyone else but I have been waiting for it ever since I saw it on the internet. I'm not sure when they will post it on the site, but it is available. I know this because I was the first to have it done. I just got my Indigo/Ash Voyager a few days ago, and I really haven't had much time for the forum. Oh, I guess I should let everyone know what it is.

LFO sync to the lights of the Mod and Pitch Wheels!!!

Yes, I know a lot of people have had this done, but now Moog is doing it for you! I have to admit it looks amazing. There is even a switch to turn it on or off so you can spare all the epileptics who come to see your Voyager the mind blowing modulation induced seizure. I want to thank Ryan, Heidi, and Amos for all of their help on getting this mod done for me. Also, thanks to everyone at Moog for making another great addition to the Voyager. The best part is that it was less than $100!

I don’t have video of it yet, but when I find a little time when my hands are free from the knobs I’ll post a link.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:19 am

Awesome!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 am

Very cool! I love light mods. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:05 am

I hope they have a field upgrade for this and it doesn't involve changing my Aftertouch PCB again...

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 am

well should be nice for under the christmas tree, however i'd prefer an mod by which i have a switch off for the pwm for osc 2 and 3 . so that i can choose pwm for only osc 1 or 1 +3 and not affecting the otherosc'swave.
has anybody ever done a mod like this ?? , tips welcomed

LWG

Re: Post reply

Post by LWG » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:39 am

sunny pedaal wrote:well should be nice for under the christmas tree, however i'd prefer an mod by which i have a switch off for the pwm for osc 2 and 3 . so that i can choose pwm for only osc 1 or 1 +3 and not affecting the otherosc'swave.
has anybody ever done a mod like this ?? , tips welcomed
Hello,

You'd have to ask Amos if something like this could be done. Would be cool, but if the dynamic waveshaping function of Vger's oscillator modules is shared between all three, then i'm not sure that would be possible.
If each oscillator uses it's own dynamic shaping function, if could probably be switched, on an individual basis, but it would be a hardware mod and the altered settings possibly wouldn't be stored in memory.

A quick programming workaround, if you want one oscillator to remain on a static wave, while another is dynamically modulated is:

Set up a two oscillator sync patch using oscillators 1 & 2 (both set to a square wave). If you tune 1 & 2 to unison, then modulate the pitch of the synced oscillator (2, in this case) it produces a weak pulse width modulation tone, but if you tune them an octave or more apart, the pwm
effect is more dramatic.
Once you have the basic pulse width modulation simulation, using sync like this, you can use oscillator 3 set statically on whatever wave you choose.
Because you're using sync, it costs you an oscillator, but its a fairly easy workaround to get mixed dynamic/static oscillator tones.

Regards,

Lawrence

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:26 am

i was just thinking of interrupting the modulation/pwm inputs of the osc. guess that if the osc are really fysically three independent ones it would have to be possible.
afcourse it would require maybe some hardware workout (soldering and cutting etc on the board) , if leaving the routing on i guess it would make only a minimal difference in compatibility.
but it's all guesswork as i can't find a scheme/ servicemanual and probably other people have much more insight in this.
thanks for the tip already.
i think it would increase the waveforming capabilities on the mini significantly, something like the sync funtion indeed , but different

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 am

Hi there Sunny

You'll be pleased to know that no hardware mod is required for your patch.

Simply use pot mapping from the EDIT menu (SRC: MOD1, DEST: OSC (x) WAVE, AMOUNT (100% or other)). Use another pot map if you want Osc 1 + 3 to be PWMd. (Lol, that sounds like moog1337 ;))

You'll probably want to set the MOD1 DEST to ON/PROG to make sure it doesn't interfere.

I haven't tried this yet; I'm not sure if the mod wheel position controls the level of the pot map. Give it a go!

Or you could use LFO as a source in pot mapping, and then your mod buss is free.

sunny pedaal

Post by sunny pedaal » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 am

that could be a good way round, should indeed start reading the manual pdf, (this , by the way , is the first synth since long i simply started playing, without touching the manual at all )