I hit a wall...

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

I hit a wall...

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:07 am

And boy did it hurt! I completed two circuits of the same design, (Thanks again for that circuit, Kevin Lightner!) and the board won't fit in the Amos Gaynes Signature Edition! Not only that, but when one circuit is being powered by the power supply, and I hook up the other one in parallel, the LP goes out of tune! So it looks good, but sounds horrible, which defeats the purpose. And I can't put the back panel back on!

My plan was to have two wheels changing two different colors at once. Kinda like those old juke boxes, where one side was always one color behind the other side. One will fit, but then I would have to cut the board in half, which I'm not prepared to do. :shock: I haven't yet removed the original amber LED's, just tested the circuit in the LP with alligator clips and stripped wires.

Just thought I'd voice my frustration. Thanks for letting me vent. :oops:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:16 am

Instead of the color-changing wheels, what I was thinking was having one aqua wheel (blue and green LED's) and one purple wheel (red and blue LED's) with one tri-color LED emitting each color. For example, the proximal LED on the mod wheel would be red and the distal one would be blue; the two colors meeting would make purple. The proximal LED on the pitch wheel would be blue and the distal one would be green. And I think that would look almost as cool as a color changing lighting system.

As for the circuits? I'm thinking next year they'll be turned into a Christmas light show spectacular using tri-color Christmas LED's. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 am

Too bad your circuit doesn't fit..
Good luck with the tri-colour LED's, can't wait to see the result. :D
Last edited by Maskin on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:06 pm

Thank you! Yeah, later on today I should get the LED's in place. Moog made it almost too easy to switch the LHC lights. :mrgreen:

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Is it a simple task to do, replacing the LED's?
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:19 pm

Well, the LED's in the LHC are merely aligned between plastic post-looking things and hot glued. Getting rid of the old hot melt is the hardest part; from there it's just a matter of clipping and stripping the wires, discarding (or saving) the old LED's , and soldering the new ones in place. Time consuming, for sure, but not difficult. :wink:

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:49 am

Maskin wrote:Is it a simple task to do, replacing the LED's?

WHat about the proximal LED that is juxtaposed to the anterior Inferior LED soldered bilaterally to the posterior capacitor, superior to the distal terminal wire that abducts and circumvents the previously excised Amber LEDs?

Hope this helps,
Eric
Last edited by EricK on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:52 am

What are you talking about, EricK? :lol: That WAS pretty funny though. And you and I are most likely the only people on the forum who got that joke, which makes it even funnier! :lol:

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 pm

I didn't get the joke but I was hoping that's what it was!!

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:32 pm

Yes I have no idea about circuits lol
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 pm

EricK wrote:Yes I have no idea about circuits lol
We're on the same page.. ;)
Well, the LED's in the LHC are merely aligned between plastic post-looking things and hot glued. Getting rid of the old hot melt is the hardest part; from there it's just a matter of clipping and stripping the wires, discarding (or saving) the old LED's , and soldering the new ones in place. Time consuming, for sure, but not difficult.
I was hoping it would be a simple thing to do, but I don't think it's something I can do myself.
Removing the old glue for instance, I don't have a clue how I should do that.. :roll:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:39 am

Maskin wrote: Removing the old glue for instance, I don't have a clue how I should do that.. :roll:
There are two ways. The right way, and the wrong way. :lol: The right way is by using a brand new X-Acto blade, carefully sliding the blade under the hot melt sharp side up and separating it from the plastic of the LHC housing. The wrong way is to hack away at the hot melt with a dull, rusty X-Acto blade until it crumbles away.

I personally prefer the right way, but have done it the wrong way when I was too lazy to buy new blades. :roll: I've only removed two lights so far, and I'm not off work again until January 2, when I have an eye doctor's appointment. I'll get to it eventually, and post a YouTube video of the completed wheels. :mrgreen:

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:04 pm

I guess I'll just find a proper technician to replace my LED's. I don't think I have the patience to do it, haha.

Good luck with finishing yours, can't wait to see the result!