Just FYI: I gots me a MinitMoog! ;-)

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
JohnLRice

Just FYI: I gots me a MinitMoog! ;-)

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:00 am

I just needed to share with people who might understand irrational synthesizer obsessions! :oops:

I got what I think is a reasonably good deal on a MinitMoog, only $234 plus shipping. I actually thought I was going to be out bid, and financially that might of been preferable at this time! :roll:

Ever since high school I've wanted one even though I had NEVER played one! I used to stare at one in a local music store and I mildly brainwashed myself into obsession about it. (that same store also had a black ovation Breadwinner electronic guitar that i also must have before I die . . . and I don't even really play guitar! :lol: )

It was sort of a risk since the ad said it would NOT power up but . . . power supplies, especially in older stuff can be quite simple. Turns out the heavens wanted to give me a Christmas present! When I unpacked it I decided to try it and the powerr light came on! :shock: So I frantically found a cable to plug into a mixer and some headphones and it made sound!!! 8)

The keyboard only worked for about the top octave and the sound was always 'on'. Then I noticed that if I held down the key below where it stopped working correctly, all the rest of the keys seemed to work. I figured it out today, just the j-wire from that key was popped to the oposite side of the buss wire and always in contact with it unless the key was pressed. I popped it back and all is well!

I just need to hunt down a few knobs. The touch sensitivity is dead of course. I've read that replacement parts don't even exist for that so I may find a center detent pot and replace the touch control with a sort of pitch bend control.

And yeah, that is some scary poor construction inside! I guess it has survived over 30 years so maybe I shouldn't complain but . . . I'll have to take a picture or two of how some of the transistors were installed and post them for the forum . . . it will give some of you nightmares! :lol:

And yeah, over all it sounds pretty thin and the 'different' presets aren't very different from each other but turning on the SYNCH and then playing with the oscillator B pitch control while playing can be very expressive and sound great!
John L Rice
MiniMoog, MinitMoog, MG-1, Sub Phatty, 5U modulars, Eurorack modulars

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:22 am

Good catch.

Ive been wondering if the guy that outbid me on the Moog satellite a few weeks ago is going to show up talking about "I got this fixerupper for like 160 bucks.

Eric

:P
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Congrats. :)

The aftertouch sensor can be rebuilt using foam weatherstripping and copper tape or wire.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks Eric and Kevin! ;-)

Kevin, is there a post or web page somewhere that describes this repair? Or should I just send you some money for a kit of repair materials and some instructions? :wink:

Thanks!
John L Rice

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:39 am

You basically have to replace the original foam.
I don't think there's any web page out there on it, but it's somewhat obvious what needs to be done once you take the unit apart.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:48 am

Cool, thanks Kevin. I'll give it a shot one of these days when I'm feeling 'frisky'! :wink:
John L Rice

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:27 am

Surely the inside can't look as bad as some of the Japanese-made stereos from the sixties I've taken apart. :shock: What with transistors floating above capacitors with wires going from the leads to wherever they attach to on the board. Not to mention the resistor banks(I think that's what they call those multi-pin ceramic rectangles that are in just about every solid state 1960's budget amp I've pulled apart). Yeah, it's like, there was quality control here? :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.