Tell us about yourself....

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Tell us about yourself....

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:32 am

Hello,
In the tradition of "Tell us about your rig" why don't you tell us about yourself so we can all get better aquainted. We all know a few regular names, and our love of Moog, but why don't you tell us about yourself so we can all become a more cohesive family here.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:42 am

My name is Eric, Im 28 years old, From Arkansas. I started on my own musical journey on Dec 8th, 1994 by purchasing an electric bass and an amp with some inheritance money.

From there I bought a couple of more basses, a guitar, a Tascam porta 02 4-track. WHen I started working I started buying instruments. I got my drumset in Jan 2001, and thanks to Musicians Friend credit card (BAD BAD) I built it up substantially. I moved to Florida in 2002, bought a trumpet, came back, bought a sax, and started buying Moog stuff.

Im about to earn my Assicoates Degree, which ill transfer to another university to study the firld of Physical Therapy, at which point Ill start buying all kinds of vintage Moog stuff.

I have about 6 complete cd's, a record or 2 of unrecorded stuff, a double cd of a live performance and lots of unuseable crap that you guys will never hear lolol.

My ultimate goal is to just collect all kinds of instruments, spend my life learning how to play them and when Im gone there will be scores of records left behind for my family to know what my greatest joy is.

Thanks Moog for your work!

I hope to get to know a lot of you a little better too.

Eric

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Nice to read who you actually are and what you do. :)

Well, here we go..

My name is Arjen, I'm 23 years old (although I feel like I'm in my thirties, haha). I live in Arnhem, a city in The Netherlands close to the German border.
I started listening to electronic music in the early nineties and began producing it in the late late nineties with Fasttracker 2. Around the same time I got into dj'ing and concentrated on that for some years. After a rather unpleasant personal experience (it involves a girl, do I need to say more?) and dropping out of a graphical school I decided to give up on society and my social life and started making music again. I experienced a musical shift which opened doors to music I never heard before. It inspired me, especially ambient music. I listened to it non stop and I started to make it myself with a tracker application called: Renoise (same workflow as Fasttracker but much more sophisticated).
My days consisted of making loads of music and designing sounds from whatever object or timbre I could find, working at a repair company (where I still work by the way) and doing freelance design work. At some point I decided to buy a synthesizer and try to create sounds based on synthesis. My first synth was an Alesis Micron, then I bought a Korg MS2000 because the Micron had not enough realtime tweaking capabilities. After teaching myself how to play on my two synths I got my fathers Rhodes and incorporated it into my sounds. After exploring the possibilities of analog modeling synths it was time to go real analog and bought my first Moog (Little Phatty). From there I bought more analog stuff and expanded my studio as it is now.

I must have made over a thousand tracks in various genres, some of them are available on the web for free, others on CD and vinyl.

At this point in my life I'm quite content, I bought a brand new apartment which I will move to in about two weeks, have a nice studio, releasing music I enjoy, do gigs regularly and have fun at work. The only downside is that I can't share all this with a partner but that's alright, as long as there's music I can live with that. :D

My plan for the future is to evolve as much as I can with my music and try to enjoy every minute of it.

Amen. :mrgreen:
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Well this is different...My name is Chris, but my common nickname is Voltor, which is what my friends call me. I am 26, and work as an LPN at the Veterans Affairs hospital in North Chicago, IL on the psych ward. I was always into music. When I was six, my parents bought me an Ohio Art drumset. I've owned various instruments including toy ones since I was five. In third grade, my grandma bought me a harmonica, which remains as my primary instrument. I bought an Ibenez GAX-70 when I was in high school, which I sold for gas money a week later. :roll: My parents then bought me a Harmony starter kit.

Yeah, like that takes the place of an Ibanez. :lol: I tried to play the Harmony for a while, but the plastic amp rattled, and I don't actually have the coordination to put one finger on one string at a time. I can play sounds, though. I destroyed that guitar after I bought a Dean used for $79, which I have to this day.

I took up pottery for a couple semesters in college, and made two working ocarinas out of about twenty attempts. :lol: I also enjoy playing hand drums, and take part in the drum circle at the Rennaisance Faire in Wisconsin when I can get there in the summer.

In addition to my Moog LP, which I actually bought to replace the Super Nintendo and N64 which were destroyed when my basement flooded, I have an MF-102, MF-103, CP-251, a Farfisa 611-R organ in need of renovation/modification, as well as my MacBook and Blue Snowball USB microphone. I also have an extensive collection of music on vinyl, CD's, and cassette tapes, as well as reel-to-reel recordings.

Other than music and vintage video games, I like to work with electronic components. I had always wanted to build a synth, but never got around to it. Some of my past projects include a Jacob's Ladder, built from a neon sign transformer and coat hangers, a laden jar capacitor, and sometime in the future I would like to build a Tesla coil and Wimshurst Machine. These are all high voltage projects. :mrgreen: I love high voltage. As I've said before, I'm in the midst of 5 DIY projects, and none of them are even near completion. But that's just my untreated ADD. :wink: Sorry for the long post. :oops:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Haha, you bought a Little Phatty to replace your game consoles? :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:17 pm

Maskin wrote:Haha, you bought a Little Phatty to replace your game consoles? :D
Yeah...silly, I know, but I was so depressed to lose my Nintendos, and the LP made me so very happy at the music store, I just had to have it right then. :lol:

EDIT-800 posts! :shock:
Last edited by Voltor07 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
Maskin wrote:Haha, you bought a Little Phatty to replace your game consoles? :D
Yeah...silly, I know, but I was so depressed to lose my Nintendos, and the LP made me so very happy at the music store, I just had to have it right then. :lol:
Good impulse after all! :wink:

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Hello, my real name is Antony and live in London. i'm *ahem* 41 and have been into music for a while, but my first *wow* was when i saw Tubeway Army in 1979 on Top of the Pops (UK singles chart show) performing Are 'Friends' Electric? From that moment on i had to have a synthesiser. Luckily for me my parents have always been supportive of my endeavours and helped me get my first synth in 1981 i think it was. It was a Roland SH-09, i still own it. My friend bought a Moog Prodigy and we messed about a bit with a Boss DR-55 and we thought we had a band. i was also playing guitar which has remained my first instrument i suppose.

When i was about 15 i 'worked' in a music store in Birmingham and got a good price on a Moog Rogue. i still have this too. i would just hang about all day playing the ProMars, Juno 6, Memorymoog and other goodies (i remember when the first DX7 arrived, we were all amazed at its 'real' sounds). My parents also bought me a Tascam 244 around this time. i started buying old 1/4" tape machines at car boot sales and had various tape loops circling my bedroom and recording onto the 244 (a la musique concrete). i was tres experimental. Growing up in Birmingham around 1979 onwards meant exposure to much rock and prog (a Birmingham requirement), Ska from Coventry, Punk and New Wave. A great mix which keeps my musical mind open to this day.

Later i went to college to study to work in television (which is what i do now) and in the early '90s bought an out-of-fashion OSCar synth for the princely sum of £190 including delivery.

Eventually i met a guy who was making House music and we hooked up with his Atari and ESQ-1 and my kit. i bought a Roland JD-800 and MC-202 to compliment all this.

As the years have rolled on i have acquired a Roland JD-990, Kurzweil PC88, Roland Jupiter-4, CR-78, RE-501 and a few other bits and bobs plus a few guitars, the pride of which is this:

My main system is based around a Sonic|Core Scope card which has some amazing emulations (including a tasty Minimoog called Minimax).

i have just put down a chunk of cash for some new Taurus Pedals as i am a huge Genesis and Yes fan and always wanted these but couldn't afford the second-hand prices.

Currently i am influenced by Glenn Branca and spend much of my live work playing guitar, but really want to add some Taurus for more droney Sunn O)))-type stuff.

i also hang out at dubsounds and dubsounds forum which is a great resource for Polymoogs. We are Vox Humana addicts.

My nickname? i am a big Orson Welles fan, and Citizen Kane seemed too obvious. You'll find me all over the net with this name.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:40 pm

Well... I attended Juilliard.
I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school.
I travel quite extensively.
I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that.
I've seen "The Exorcist" about 167 times and it keeps getting funnier every-single-time-I-see-it!
Not to mention the fact that you're talking to a dead guy!
Now what do you think?! You think I'm qualified?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:Well... I attended Juilliard.
I've seen "The Exorcist" about 167 times and it keeps getting funnier every-single-time-I-see-it!
Kevin, you're too much! :lol:

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:22 pm

Greetings my real name is Gerry but most of my friends call me Gamaliel or Gam.I was born in Liverpool but raised in NYC.I'm 57 and have been playing guitar since I was 7.We had a emenee chord organ,popular in the 50's when I was 4 and was able to play songs on it.My parents thought it would be a good idea for me to learn a instrument so they asked me what I wanted to play.I wanted a drumset,my mother said no we live in a apartment so I decided on guitar.Years later in 69,I came home with 3 marshall stacks my mother almost had a stroke and said to my father"Perhaps we should have bought him the drums after all!"

I'm self taught and had been doing session work and live gigs since the mid 60's.Then I came across my first minimoog and mellotron.My friend had owned a recording studio and I spent many hours playing both.I had always wanted to branch out into keyboards but just I just didn't have the money to own my own.It was there that I heard about the Synthi Hi-Fli,a guitar synth that didn't need a interface.Well I ran to Manny's music and asked Billy about it.Billy had sold me my first real good guitar and the 3 marshall stacks and asked about him about the synthi.He goes to Manny and points to me and Manny nods his head.Billy say's "We have one here but it's supposed to go to Clapton,we've had it for 2 weeks and none of his people have shown up.We're getting more in a few days,if you have the cash this one is yours.

Sorry about the real long post but you asked.I bought it and became the first American to own a guitar synth.Over the years I bought the roland gr 300,then the 700.I had others but by then guitar synth became sour to me.I loved the synthi and the 300 because you knew it was a guitar.The 700 had some amazing sounds as well but brutal tracking.

Two years ago I decided to buy a few keyboards so that when I retire from my day job I could finally learn the keys.I bought a Hammond and a Alesis Micron.Then I heard about the Voyager(the mini I always wanted) and bought that as well.Hells Bells but the Moog Guitar showed up and I ordered that,then the Taurus....well you get the picture.

I also play bass ,electric sitar,mando guitar,string bender guitars,baritones,and 2 bowed guitars one a guitarviol and the other cello/guitar that I came up with Jonathan Wilson.It's a 5 string baritone fretless with curved neck and bridge,it covers the cello range.The Guitarviol also has a curved neck,frets and bridge and midi.
Check out www.bowedguitar.com to see these instruments.
You can never have too many musical instruments.

magnet

no word limit ? for shame.

Post by magnet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:41 pm

I am Mark, sometimes marque`. Coast of maine. Salt water 100' away. 50. Master boatbuilder, master stone mason. retired due to health(back) issues, single. Began folk guitar when i was 7 or so. My parents did not support this. Eventually got a Gibson Sg standard when i went to school. Had to sell it years later after a car accident turned my left hand into about 45 bits of bone. Bought a Korg Dw-8000, Loved it. Always facinated by Moog, by synths in general. Korg began to die. Parents did. 15 years kinda suspended with that. Bought theremin. Built lots of electronics from scratch, then said to myself that i wanted to support the efforts of Dr. Bob Moog, and bought a Voyager, then an LP tribute, the boxes like sequencers, and on and on. Not a trained musician, but used to play a fair amount of guitar. Enjoy exploring many avenues of 'electronic' music, but it's irregular at best. Cannot find anyone in the area with these interests, but wish to meet rocking synth gal. *sigh*
-Not a mid-life crisis, my dr. says- I beg to differ. Glad to meet others through this forum.
Best to all.
Voyager PE/ Frostwave Fatcontroller Seq./ Korg Dw-8000/Little Phatty Tribute #188/Korg EX-8000/KP3-Kaoss Pad/ EH Deluxe Memory Man delay effect/Peavy KB-100 amp

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:Well... I attended Juilliard.
I LOVE BEETLEJUICE!

well, my name is Anthony im 25 and i started my musical journey in 6th grade. i started playing saxaphone but i had a really jerk of music teacher, this was through my grade school. so i quit shortly after, but always remained interested in music. then for my 8th grade graduation i decided i wanted to play guitar, took a couple lessons learned a couple songs and pretty much deicided to learn on my own from there. the running joke is i learned how to play with my effects pedals before i learned how to play guitar, lol. jammed with friends throguht out high school in all sorts of musical situations. fast forward a couple years past high school and some random guy, who saw me playing with a delay pedal/looper and a drum machine at coffee house formed a jangly electronic slow core band with me and my korg em1 as drummer and synths. that band went through so many changes added two other people then broke up to kick out the orginal guy i started with and one the other guys. the band's sound was a combination noise rock, shoegaze, silent movie sound tracks, kinda new wavey post rock (this is when the moog came in) VERY F'N LOUD. people would listen to our shows from the parking lot! now im in an on-hiatis two man power house of sound (proto deaf rock~ the music you hear just before lossing the ability to hear) with the remaining member of the last band still possiblly even louder now !and my solo electronic project which im actually almost done with my ep for :D
as for my profession, i am a hairstylist. which was something i picked up in highschool. im looking for a second job right now because the economy isnt very kind to those of us working on comission :? . plus im recently engaged (no date yet probably wont be for awhile) so that has put all my music money on hold , cuz weddings and homes are freakin expensive . thats pretty much it, for basic out line

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:34 pm

I'm Mark, and I am in my mid 50s. When I was a teen growing up in the 60s in Massachusetts, a teacher gave me an Edgar Varese LP. From then on I wanted to create abstract electronic music. Unfortunately, in those days synths were extremely expensive, so I stuck with electric guitar. About 9 years ago I decided to finally buy some synths and enact my dream of playing experimental music. A few years back I bought a Voyager, and eventually acquired a Tribute and most of the Moogers. Musically I have played many festivals, and with my partner, M. Peck, I eventually performed in the prestigious Gathering concert series in Philly. We have played live three times on Chuck van Zyl's radio program, Stars End. The Voyager is the center of my setup and has helped define my style and sound.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:46 am

Hey thanks for the replies.

Its a pleasure to "Meet" all of you. Hell, weve been talking like every day and we all have Moog as a common interest so its great to get to know some of your backgrounds.

THanks for the replies and hopefully somemore folks will chime in.

Eric