LFO Sync Mode oddity

Everything Phatty.
sine

LFO Sync Mode oddity

Post by sine » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm

I had a scare when I turned on my LPSE (software 2.0 530). I pushed the Mod wheel for LFO vibrato and instead got pitch bend--about a whole step. It was like the LFO had died. And it was this way on every preset.

It turned out to be the LFO Sync Mode, which was set to MIDI Clock. When I changed it to Internal, the LFO came back to life. And it remained normal when changing it back again to MIDI Clock. What I found is that (on my LP anyway) if it is powered on with LFO Sync Mode set to MIDI Clock, the LFO won't work. Powering on with LFO Sync set to Internal, all is well.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:59 pm

That's interesting... :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 pm

I have the same thing with the arppegiator. I believe it has something to do with the clock division.

Edit: I wish I could try to replicate the problem but all my gear is packed to move to my new apartment..
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:41 pm

If things are set to sync to MIDI clock and there is no MIDI clock coming in, then the things "don't work." An alternate view is that they are working correctly, and no MIDI clock = zero BPM. A zero BPM LFO sounds a lot like a dead LFO... ;)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:41 pm

Amos wrote:If things are set to sync to MIDI clock and there is no MIDI clock coming in, then the things "don't work." An alternate view is that they are working correctly, and no MIDI clock = zero BPM. A zero BPM LFO sounds a lot like a dead LFO... ;)
That makes sense...thanks, Amos! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Amos wrote:If things are set to sync to MIDI clock and there is no MIDI clock coming in, then the things "don't work." An alternate view is that they are working correctly, and no MIDI clock = zero BPM. A zero BPM LFO sounds a lot like a dead LFO... ;)
That's so obvious that I didn't even think of it! :D
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:55 pm

THat sounds like something I would do.

In the studio with my partner Ill be working tirelessly to get everything hooked up and then theres no sound.

Its usually always a volume thing, or my headphones weren't plugged in lol.

"Dude this thing doesn't work"

The power isn't on lol.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:53 am

Repeat, "It's a Moog..." :lol:

sine

Post by sine » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:57 pm

Yes, this makes sense, Amos. Guess I should have called the topic observation rather than oddity. ;)

I did another test that proves your logic. With Digital Performer playing and generating clock, powering LP on in MIDI Clock mode the LFO instantly syncs. Cool.

I noticed that if LP is syned to Internal and then is switched to MIDI Clock, as long as incoming MIDI Clock is non-zero, LFO obeys MIDI, as expected. If, on the other hand, LP is switched from Internal to MIDI Clock and MIDI Clock is zero (off), then LFO ignores it and remains at the current Internal LFO clock rate.

Also, when incoming MIDI Clock is non-zero and LP is synced to MIDI clock, if LP is then switched to Internal, LFO ignores Internal rate until the Rate knob is moved.

Kind of confusing to read I know, but I find this stuff interesting.