down the road w/ this technology

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
andrewh

down the road w/ this technology

Post by andrewh » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:59 pm

ok, so this guitar seems amazing- no one disputes that. It is, however,
truly heinous aesthetically. and quite expensive- so, will there be a
cheap stage edition at some point, that looks more normal, (in another
thread, someone suggested a telecaster deluxe- that or a music man sabre type of thing would appeal to me)

? or will the technology be available
seperately, ie will the pickups and guts be sold for diy luthiery?

really- this guitar looks like something right out of 90's nu-metal or bad futuristic jazz festival bs- awesome concept, terrible design.

tubeampguy

Re: down the road w/ this technology

Post by tubeampguy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:54 pm

A more Work Horse type guitar say with a 2000.00 MRP. Exclude the Flame maple and Gold hardware. Offer Alder or Ash, Maple/Rosewood or Ebony fretboard options. Or even better a partnership with say FENDER, GIBSON, PRS for higher end standard designs guitar with the Moog technology in it. That is what I'm waiting for from Moog Music. This worked for the Fender/Roland GK2/ Stratocaster in the '90s. They will sell a larger number of units this way.
andrewh wrote:ok, so this guitar seems amazing- no one disputes that. It is, however,
thread, someone suggested a telecaster deluxe- that or a music man sabre type of thing would appeal to me)

really- this guitar looks like something right out of 90's nu-metal or bad futuristic jazz festival bs- awesome concept, terrible design.

Voltor07

Re: down the road w/ this technology

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm

tubeampguy wrote:A more Work Horse type guitar say with a 2000.00 MRP. Exclude the Flame maple and Gold hardware. Offer Alder or Ash, Maple/Rosewood or Ebony fretboard options. Or even better a partnership with say FENDER, GIBSON, PRS for higher end standard designs guitar with the Moog technology in it. That is what I'm waiting for from Moog Music. This worked for the Fender/Roland GK2/ Stratocaster in the '90s. They will sell a larger number of units this way.
andrewh wrote:ok, so this guitar seems amazing- no one disputes that. It is, however,

Roland and Fender are both mediocre companies that sell overpriced, mediocre products. A partnership between Moog and Fender would be a very bad decision IMHO. Same with Gibson, although Gibson would be a better choice if I had to choose between the two. Moog SG, anyone?

Moog and Peavey might be a better avenue, as the two companies are similar in structure, and Peavey is known to use only cutting-edge technology to build stuff. I like their speakers and amps, anyway. IDK much about their guitars. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

andrewh

yeah

Post by andrewh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:23 am

do you really think that peavey guitars are better than fender? I haven't checked up in a while, so you may be right, but the last I checked, 9/10 of smashed punk band guitars are peaveys since they can usually be found for 50 bucks at the pawn shop. I still wonder if the technology will be subbed out to other manufacturers- it would be awesome to have on a gibson sg, or anything else, for that matter...

andrewh

and

Post by andrewh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:26 am

fender was just a reference point; I'd rather the moog guitar look like a "classic" guitar than some joe satriani- spandex and sunglasses wanktar

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:30 am

EVH played a Peavey. Also, he helped develop the 5150, which became the 6505 amplifier when he quit using Peavey. The build quality is top notch on Peavey guitars. The tolerances are so close that the frets aren't even glued into the fretboard! Just my take. Not a guitarist, just know Peavey's manufacturing processes.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

andrewh

yes

Post by andrewh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:38 am

you are right about evh and peavey

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:49 am

I think either a Moog SG (perhaps add robotic tuners...that would be awesome!) or Peavey would be good for Moog, though all Gibson has anymore is the name...the quality is no longer there.

Peavey's factory is set up so that all workers MUST wear anti static leg bands. Very sensitive equipment, very fine tolerances, mass production, which is why they have little to no resale value. Just my thought, if Moog wants to go with a Stage Edition Moog guitar.

EDIT: The Peavey Generation series(tele) looks promising as a base to go on, as does the PXD Tomb model. Or maybe the Explorer looking thing.

andrewh

funny

Post by andrewh » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:37 am

now that I think of it, my very favorite guitar is similar to what you describe- it's a roland g 505, the "brain" for the gr300 synth- it was made by greco/ ibanez but only has a roland logo on the headstock- Ibanez has the same range of price as peavey, but this is the best playing guitar I've ever touched. if they combined this new tech with roland guitar synth tech, it would be the bee's knees' knees, or something akin.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:30 am

Ibanez would be another great company to join with the Moog Guitar. Except, they're Japanese, and Moog is American. :? Not too sure how that would work out...I'm sure it would be possible. I had a GAX-70 for a very brief time, and I will say that it felt great in my hands even though it was a bit on the heavy side. Couldn't play it, but it felt nice! :lol:

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:41 am

The Roland guitars were very good,I have the g 505 and the g 707.I still use them both.Carvin would be another good choice for a moog stage model.I dont own any Carvin's but I have played on a few models and was impressed with the sound and build quality.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:57 pm

My favorite phrases from this thread are "spandex and sunglasses wanktar" and "the bee's knees' knees."

although spandex-and-sunglasses wanktars are not the bee's knees' knees, I'm sure we can agree.

In the event that there is a subsequent lower-priced version of the Moog Guitar, I have put in a special request for no gold hardware, and for it to be available in black. :cool: We'll see...

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:30 pm

I don't have an electric guitar, and when Moog makes a performer version Ill surely try to jump on that bandwagon.

Id like it even more if it being a Moog guitar, had Moog knobs that identified the filter circuitry.

If it doesn't Id just install some myself cause that would just be too great lol!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

georgeludwig

Post by georgeludwig » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Since we're talking dream Moog guitars, mine would have:

semi-hollow body
16" radius and 25 1/5" scale (I have big hands)
Moog electronics, obviously
Gibson robotic tuners
RMC 13 pin electronics
LR Baggs active piezo preamp w/mini microphone for acoustic sounds

If Moog and Gibson sold those electronics separately, I would buy them in a second and have this guitar built without a second thought.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Amos wrote:
In the event that there is a subsequent lower-priced version of the Moog Guitar, I have put in a special request for no gold hardware, and for it to be available in black. :cool: We'll see...
Thanks Amos! Been a couple days since we've seen you, everything well? Perhaps working on some new products? :D