Just got my MP-201

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Bryan T

Just got my MP-201

Post by Bryan T » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:23 pm

In a word, awesome. I'm surprised by how intuitive it is. I'd read through the manual before it arrived, but haven't spent that much time with menu-driven equipment. I was able to edit settings quite quickly and design/save a few patches for sounds that I wanted right away.

This is going to be a valuable tool for making music.

Bryan

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:36 am

I used the MP-201 on a recording session tonight. Things were a bit rocky, but I'm not sure if it was the MP-201 or the Pro Tools setup that should be blamed. A few times during the session the screen on the MP-201 went blank and it wouldn't respond to the knob or buttons. Another time the computer locked up. After getting everything working in one Pro Tools session, we closed it and started another. At that point none of the MIDI communication worked.

Ultimately, we did get everything working (though I'm not sure what we 'fixed.'). I was able to sync LFOs to the MIDI click and generate some cool effects from there.

Bryan

T7

Post by T7 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Bryan T wrote:I used the MP-201 on a recording session tonight. Things were a bit rocky, but I'm not sure if it was the MP-201 or the Pro Tools setup that should be blamed. A few times during the session the screen on the MP-201 went blank and it wouldn't respond to the knob or buttons. Another time the computer locked up. After getting everything working in one Pro Tools session, we closed it and started another. At that point none of the MIDI communication worked.

Ultimately, we did get everything working (though I'm not sure what we 'fixed.'). I was able to sync LFOs to the MIDI click and generate some cool effects from there.

Bryan
I assume you were using USB for MIDI? Sounds like a classic case of USB-MIDI-Fail. Try MIDI-DIN instead.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:52 pm

T7 wrote: I assume you were using USB for MIDI? Sounds like a classic case of USB-MIDI-Fail. Try MIDI-DIN instead.
The few times I use MIDI I use the USB function. I've never had a problem. Perhaps mine is a case of beginner's luck? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:48 pm

T7 wrote:I assume you were using USB for MIDI? Sounds like a classic case of USB-MIDI-Fail. Try MIDI-DIN instead.
Yep. We've had pretty good luck with MIDI over USB since then, but it is a bit picky. It'll stay locked in a session for a while, but then will lose the clock.

Bryan