Patch cables explained..........

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
tubeampguy

Patch cables explained..........

Post by tubeampguy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Can some one explain the TRS cables for patching? The pin out in the manuals show the Ring "lifted" the problem is when you buy a commercially manufactured TRS cable it has the Rings terminated connector to connector, does this matter? Or am I reading the diagram wrong?

Right now all the patch cable I have are TS (2 conductor) and as noted in this forum and the manuals this prevents EP-2 use .

I'm trying to source commercially made TRS cables that will work, I really don't want to fabricate 2 dozen cables in various lengths unless I have too. Your help would be great! thanks! :?:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:24 pm

I use your basic Hosa TRS cables, and they work great! Best bang for the buck, actually. They even have less noise than Monster Cables! Sam Ash has 3 foot cables(a bit shorter than 1m) that come in 8 packs for 38 dollars. The 30cm cables are $20 for an 8 pack. I don't have a clue as to reading the diagram...when I saw TRS cables listed, I bought TRS cables. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Voltor07 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

tubeampguy

Re: Patch cables explained..........

Post by tubeampguy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:31 pm

tubeampguy wrote:Can some one explain the TRS cables for patching? The pin out in the manuals show the Ring "lifted" the problem is when you buy a commercially manufactured TRS cable it has the Rings terminated connector to connector, does this matter? Or am I reading the diagram wrong?

Right now all the patch cable I have are TS (2 conductor) and as noted in this forum and the manuals this prevents EP-2 use .

I'm trying to source commercially made TRS cables that will work, I really don't want to fabricate 2 dozen cables in various lengths unless I have too. Your help would be great! thanks! :?:
My TS cables are HOSA I am very familiar with that company, I use there products all the time in my studio.

Thanks for responding!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm

You're quite welcome! Oddly enough, I made my own TS cables. TRS plugs are $3.50 each where I go (not Radio Shack...they're even more there!) as opposed to $.89 each for TS plugs. I only made one TRS cable.:mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 pm

There's no harm in using TRS cables (fully wired) for everything. But the reverse is not true; you should only use TRS plugs for control inputs, as TS plugs short out the supply for expression pedals, rendering them unusable.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:01 am

latigid on wrote:There's no harm in using TRS cables (fully wired) for everything. But the reverse is not true; you should only use TRS plugs for control inputs, as TS plugs short out the supply for expression pedals, rendering them unusable.
Right...the only harm in using TRS cables exclusively shows up in your credit card statement after you buy 20 or more. :lol: