Mixing CV within MP-201

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
Bryan T

Mixing CV within MP-201

Post by Bryan T » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 am

Am I correct in saying that the various channels of CV cannot be mixed within the MP-201? Wouldn't it be cool to have internal mix so that you could combine the four independent CV signals internally and then spit the sum/difference/offset/inverted combination of those from one CV output?

Bryan

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:38 am

Also, is a smoothed version of the Sample & Hold CV possible? That would be nice!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:09 am

Bryan T wrote:Also, is a smoothed version of the Sample & Hold CV possible? That would be nice!
Possible? Maybe...

Of course, you can always smooth the S&H using the Lag Processor in the CP-251. Note also that the individual Rise and Fall knobs give you an extra bit of control here.

GregAE

Re: Mixing CV within MP-201

Post by GregAE » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 am

Bryan T wrote:Am I correct in saying that the various channels of CV cannot be mixed within the MP-201? Wouldn't it be cool to have internal mix so that you could combine the four independent CV signals internally and then spit the sum/difference/offset/inverted combination of those from one CV output?

Bryan
Yes. The MP-201 has no ability to mix individual CVs internally. Your suggestion is a very cool idea. I'm sure that Amos, Cyril or Steve could tell us if it's possible to implement (there's also the issue of combining up to four output signals, each of which can be +/-5V (that's potentially +/- 20V!), but I'm sure there are ways to deal with that).

As for external CV mixing with the Multi-Pedal, I use a simple ART 4-channel passive mixer:

Since the ART has no Master knob to control the overall output, I route the ART's Mixer Out to an Attenuator on the CP-251 before routing the signal to a CV input, and keep the Attenuator set low initially (best to be safe here).

As you can imagine, being able to combine up to four LFOs of different waveforms and different rates can result in some pretty interesting CVs. In my experience, I usually run out of patch cords before I run out of ideas...

:D

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:30 pm

GregAE wrote:
Bryan T wrote:Also, is a smoothed version of the Sample & Hold CV possible? That would be nice!
Possible? Maybe...

Of course, you can always smooth the S&H using the Lag Processor in the CP-251. Note also that the individual Rise and Fall knobs give you an extra bit of control here.
Sure, but I'm hoping to eliminate the need for a CP-251 for live use. Presets would be nice!

Bryan

Bryan T

Re: Mixing CV within MP-201

Post by Bryan T » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:32 pm

GregAE wrote:Yes. The MP-201 has no ability to mix individual CVs internally. Your suggestion is a very cool idea. I'm sure that Amos, Cyril or Steve could tell us if it's possible to implement (there's also the issue of combining up to four output signals, each of which can be +/-5V (that's potentially +/- 20V!), but I'm sure there are ways to deal with that).
As it is right now, the MP-201 has a limiter that keeps voltages between -5 and 5. You can see that when using the offset on the LFOs.
As for external CV mixing with the Multi-Pedal, I use a simple ART 4-channel passive mixer:

Since the ART has no Master knob to control the overall output, I route the ART's Mixer Out to an Attenuator on the CP-251 before routing the signal to a CV input, and keep the Attenuator set low initially (best to be safe here).
That's a simple solution, but it does lose the preset capability that I crave.

Thanks,
Bryan

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:18 pm

simple additive mixing of LFOs might be possible within the MP201.
You would get a lot of clipping against the maximum and minimum levels unless the original LFO amounts are kept low (1/n where n = number of LFOs to be mixed).
I will add this to the list of feature suggestions, and we'll see what happens. In the meanwhile, I think that you can get all of the combinations you describe by using the CV mixer on the CP-251.
If you save all the LFO settings as a preset and use the same mixer settings on the CP251, it's almost a preset...

Cheers,

Amos

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm

Amos wrote:I will add this to the list of feature suggestions, and we'll see what happens.
Awesome! I'm excited to see what new functionality the MP-201 will get as time goes on. Mine should show up in a few days and I can't wait to dive in.

Bryan