A behind-the-scenes look at a Multi-Pedal video

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
moogmusic
Site Admin

A behind-the-scenes look at a Multi-Pedal video

Post by moogmusic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:12 pm

We recently created a quick, 12 second video for the MP-201 Multi-Pedal.

Click here to watch...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=43764000

Moog Guru, Amos Gaynes created the soundtrack and gives us a behind the scenes glimpse at how he did it.

The melodic arpeggio that runs from beginning to end is a Little Phatty running through a MuRF and an MF-104 Analog Delay.

The MuRF pattern was synchronized to Ableton Live's MIDI clock using the MP-201 Multi-Pedal. Here's how to do it:

Set up a MP-201 channel to be a square wave LFO. Set LFO Sync = MIDI and pick whatever clock divisions you want.

Next, connect a patch cable to the analog output of the MP-201 channel you are working with, and connect the other end of the cable to the TAP/STEP input jack on the MuRF. You want to use STEP mode, which means either plugging the patch cable *halfway* into the tap/step jack, or using the MuRF Step Adaptor on this end of the patch cable. Now, each pulse of the MP-201 LFO will advance the MuRF pattern by one step.

Connect a MIDI output (usb or DIN) from your computer to the MP-201 and set your sequencer to send MIDI Sync... now when you hit Play in your sequence, the MP-201 LFO will lock to your MIDI tempo and the MuRF will step along with the LFO.

The bass line is the simplest part; it's straight Little Phatty presets with no effects. The patch used was Taurus Bass 2.

The melodic lead sound was played live on the Little Phatty, running into an MF-103 Phaser and the MF-104 Delay. The Multi-Pedal was used as an expression pedal to tweak the MF-103 Phaser Sweep and Resonance controls in realtime.

Finally, the crazy sound effects layer. This was created using a chain of Moogerfoogers, all being modulated by different LFOs from the Multi-Pedal. The original sound source was an MF-101 lowpass filter with the resonance boosted to self-oscillation.

This signal was then sent to an MF-102 Ring Modulator, and then the output from the Ring Modulator was sent to an MF-103 phaser. The MP-201 was sending independent analog LFOs to the MF-101 cutoff frequency, the MF-102 carrier frequency, and the MF-103 Sweep input; all three of these LFOs were being controlled simultaneously from the MP-201 foot pedal. This left my hands free to tweak Moogerfooger knobs at the same time, further increasing the sonic mayhem.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:16 pm

I want to be a Moog Guru.

(And would it be pronounded like Mouge Goru or Moooog Guuru?)
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:20 am

I think its Mooger Guruger
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Nah...Mooger Fooger Gohro :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.