$6,495.00 ???

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Khoral

Post by Khoral » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:02 am

Tibbon wrote:Whoever has it in their minds that Moog is a consumer-level company and prices such is out of their minds.
That's pretty much what I'm saying
And I don't consider it extravagant for a company to be at a consumer level
To my opinion, the companies that survived through the 80s market shift were the ones able to market high-end pricey products for professional musicans and at the same time mid and low-budget instruments for the common man
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 am

What's the point of having this amazing technology to show on a new guitar, if NOBODY will buy it. I don't think that a $1,500.00 or even a $2,000.00 guitar, is a guitar for a kid with a line 6 amp.

How much would the electronics alone be worth for this guitar? I am almost sure that they don't cost half the price of the electronics used on the Voyager OS, and yet the Voyager OS is prices around $2,300.00 with VERY nice wood work.

Even if the technology is worth lots of money, I don't think that Moog is spending more than $1,200.00 on parts for each guitar made.

I might be wrong with my calculations. But the guitar is definitely overpriced. No excuses please.
Daniel Trejo
------------------------------------
Litlte Phatty V1, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MF-105, Kenton Pro Solo.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:32 pm

as Amos stated in another thread there are ALOT of discrete analog circuits, i believe he said around 300. and then there is research and developement which since this is new technology (yes i know the sustainiac and fernandez and ebow, this is way different) that takes alot of time and trial and error and all those things cost money and reflect the price. and nobody said this was for kids with line 6 amps. this is a serious instrumentmeant for professional musicians. and not to mention this is a collector/signature series made in limited numbers, so once again that drives up the price. im sure later down the line there will be a stage version of the moog guitar. and complaining about the price wont make moog reconsider, they have their demographic that they were shooting for with this product and seemed to really excite them (just watch the demo video)and yes $6500 for a guitar is ALOT of money and i know there is no way in hell that i could ever afford this guitar, but i do look forward to hearing it on albums and hopefully playing it at a guitar store soon

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:17 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:i believe he said around 300
No, 3000!!

Roughly 10 times as many parts as is in the Voyager!!

Cheers
theglyph

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm

What's the point of having this amazing technology to show on a new guitar, if NOBODY will buy it. I don't think that a $1,500.00 or even a $2,000.00 guitar, is a guitar for a kid with a line 6 amp.
The Voyager is not a teen's instrument either. Moog customers are serious hobbyists and professional musicians. It's been that way since Bob made the first modulars. Thank goodness he didn't have your logic when he started out. I think the Moog guitar is a great concept, and I believe there will be many professional musicians who will get one. Innovation usually comes at a cost.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 pm

Dannymon wrote: Even if the technology is worth lots of money, I don't think that Moog is spending more than $1,200.00 on parts for each guitar made.

I might be wrong with my calculations. But the guitar is definitely overpriced. No excuses please.
I'm sure that it cost way more than that, with assembly costs added in..

Also, you have not played it. So, it would be hard to say whether or not , it's over priced.. Right?
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Dannymon wrote:What's the point of having this amazing technology to show on a new guitar, if NOBODY will buy it. I don't think that a $1,500.00 or even a $2,000.00 guitar, is a guitar for a kid with a line 6 amp.

How much would the electronics alone be worth for this guitar? I am almost sure that they don't cost half the price of the electronics used on the Voyager OS, and yet the Voyager OS is prices around $2,300.00 with VERY nice wood work.

Even if the technology is worth lots of money, I don't think that Moog is spending more than $1,200.00 on parts for each guitar made.

You have to look at it from a historical perspective. The first of any technology is not consumer accessible. It's not about Moog targeting high end buyers (that is actually the end result) it's that the cost of the instrument is so high. It's taken years of development (guys getting paid for work on an instrument that was not yet creating revenue) and don't forget how small a company moog is. Sure they're ubiquitous, but there's no high volume sales to make a revenue stream to fund such a project.

Then there's the fact that if a synth company is going to make a guitar and be successful, it has to be well built. The electronics would be worthless if it was housed in an affordable body like a squier or epiphone. If they are going to get any credibility in a new market, their guitar has to be flawless and masterful, so that even Leo Fender or Paul Reid Smith would be impressed at the craftmanship.

Which brings up the fact that they couldn't build the guitar themselves, they contracted a high end luthier. A necessary expense if they were going to earn respect. And the luthier isn't doing the work pro bono either...they have to make their profit.

And then there's the fact that it's new technology. The strings that make the guitar work were designed for the guitar. more r&d, plus retooling of machines in factories to produce the strings.

and then there's the electronics. more electronics than is in the voyager (according to theglyph) in a product that is not established...for instance, they can't buy the parts they need in bulk because it's a brand new product with unique parts. if it becomes successful, then it becomes economical to produce larger quantities of the parts, which drives down the costs

and then after recouping all those expenses, they have to make a profit.

and the reason they need to make a profit is so that the guitar becomes a success, so that production increases, revenues increases, and finally, investments can be made to make a more affordable version.

The car was around a long time before henry ford made it accessible to the everyday man.

the computer took decades before it became cheap enough for everyone to own.

granted, this isn't a car or computer, but you're asking for new technology to be affordable right out of the gate. it's just not possible without a lot of startup capital, which moog, being a small company, does not have. that's what it means to be boutique.

So, the short answer is, the point of having a guitar that nobody can afford is to make enough money so that later on down the road, they will have the capability to make a guitar that more people can afford.

I know i'm pretty defensive here for a company that I have no financial stock in, but it is unfair to basically accuse them of greed.
crs.one

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:47 pm

theglyph wrote:
No, 3000!!

Cheers
theglyph
yeah thats right...bleep thats alotta bits and peices

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Sounds like it's more robot than guitar.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Kind of like guitar in this band:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c2JChnwv2Ws

:wink:

ChinaPig

Post by ChinaPig » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:42 pm

latigid on wrote:Sounds like it's more robot than guitar.
Hey, for this price it ought to convert your brainwaves directly into CV's!
MF-101, 102, 103; CP-251; Nord Lead 3; Guitars & Basses

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:22 am

latigid on wrote:Kind of like guitar in this band:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c2JChnwv2Ws

:wink:
AWESOME!

Alienation

Post by Alienation » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:56 pm

I'll have to wait for the affordable version. Hopefully it comes up within the next year. :(
Boom Boom Boom clap Boom Boom Boom clap!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 am

theglyph wrote:
No, 3000!!

Cheers
theglyph
I reckon there are at least 3000 parts in the Voyager:

(http://till-kopper.de/voyager.html
Regards Till!)

But anyway, it's [3000] still a lot of parts for a guitar.

If we're counting, how many does the Gibson Robot Guitar have?

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:39 pm

So when's the bass coming out? :lol: