FOOGERS and Noise

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Alien8

FOOGERS and Noise

Post by Alien8 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi All! I recently acquired the final two foogers to complete the evil 6. I have 101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105, and 107 (I also have CP-251). My question / observation is regarding noise from various units, I will elaborate, but first the scenario:

I have all 6 set-up using their respective adapters on a string of power bars. I have tested each alone as the only pedal in the chain.
I've tested each with a good power source voodoo lab PP2P.

In each case I find the following:

101 - hiss, which I hear is normal for a low pass filter.
102 - fairly quiet unless I push it not to be
103 - hiss
104Z - at long delay times a high pitched squeal is introduced, not overstated but it is there.
105 - hiss, and it's fairly substantial
107 - all out sonic mayhem

Is this normal / observed with your units? Specifically the 101, 103, 104Z and 105?
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 pm

i have the 101, 102, and 103
there is a super faint barely noticable white noise kind of hiss when i crank up the volume from the 101
with my 102 i actually find it to be louder than everything else
and the 103 i can hear the lfo cycling very quietly

this is nothing that has ever bothered me. i would suguest picking up some sort of noise cancling device like the boss ns-2 or the isp decimator.
i used a ns-2 when i was using cheap REALLY noisey pedals and it worked great

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Thu May 29, 2008 2:23 am

There is definitely a high-pitched squeal with the longest delay setting on my MF-104 delay. But like you say, it's livable.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu May 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks, I thought this would be the case, just thought I'd ask... :)
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Hey,

Well I believe that Ring Modulators by their nature have some Carrier OSC bleed through and This seems to be normal for this type of circuit.

My delay seems to be as quiet as a ninja of corse until I crank it past 8 and it blows my ears out.

Im not near the studio but when I do get back I will test this with the units that I own and give you a more detailed responce then.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:13 pm

this is actually a really interesting topic. since working in the pedal business a few years it is really remarkable what future pedals actually get thrown out the window because they produce too much noise. If consumers were less picky i bet we would have some pretty sweet stuff on the market. Given, alot of pedals can be tweaked, but from my experience when you tweak a sweet ass pedal to reduce its acceptable noise level, you usually end up throwing out all of its edginess.
crazy crazy analog.... :D

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:00 pm

That's interesting that you bring that up. I hear these extra noises, and I'm only concerned that the pedal is mis behaving because I'm so used to "perfect" no noise pedals, and am not fully aware of what malfunction is because of it! I expect an effect to have some sort of by-product noise, it's only natural that it should if it's real analog.

If something sounds good, I buy it. If it does something useful, I buy it. I'm used to noise, I play hi-gain music... Some of the talent in that music is to be completely quiet at times, and if you're holding yourself back from a really useful effect because you don't want to take the good with the bad, then it is your loss.

I say let those new noisy creations shine through. The only way to change an opinion is to let someone decide for themselves!!!

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:20 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:this is actually a really interesting topic. since working in the pedal business a few years it is really remarkable what future pedals actually get thrown out the window because they produce too much noise. If consumers were less picky i bet we would have some pretty sweet stuff on the market. Given, alot of pedals can be tweaked, but from my experience when you tweak a sweet ass pedal to reduce its acceptable noise level, you usually end up throwing out all of its edginess.
crazy crazy analog.... :D
Hey next time you throw away one of these noisey portotypes... i will gladly take it off your hands and put it to good use rather than it just becomeing a doorstop or paperweight :D

halez

Post by halez » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:17 am

I have experienced a problem with my moogerfoogers and noise. In my case its a really bad electrical noise, I have bought 4 different types of power adaptors (because Moog didn't ship the foogers with power adaptors) and they all send this very high pitched electric noise. At first I wanted to connect them all in a power-chain but that resulted in a really huge amount of noise. so I bought individual adaptors for each unit.

The last set of adaptors worked fine for the first hours but then the noise started again. I connect all my gear to a Furman power conditioner.

I also can hear the Rate of my Ringmodulator even when its audio in/out is not connected to the chain of pedals, It only stops when I disconnect the power from it.

....Need more power adaptors!
Moog Voyager SS-OS-RME

http://www.myspace.com/bloodgroup

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 am

the only noise i have ever experienced with my foogers is when i send the square wave from the ring mod into the cutoff of the lowpass and that is more of just a clicking when the square peaks. i have 3 MFs i with orginal adapter the other 2 have misc, theyre all on one dollar store power strip which runs into another power strip which runs into another power strip. :? i guess im lucky...