Comparison of Nord Lead 3 and Mini Voyager AE

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ticker

Comparison of Nord Lead 3 and Mini Voyager AE

Post by ticker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:44 am

I've had my Moog for a couple of weeks and my Nord for about a week. I had read, from several sources, that the Nord was damn close at nailing the Moog sounds. In my opinion, that is not true. Hey I like the Nord. It does have its own sound and I've conjured up some wicked patches. The user interface is fantastic. A really great learning tool. I do not really think its wise to compare it with a Moog though. They are completely different animals. So, my humble advice to anyone considering picking up a NL3 because they heard it 'sounds so close to the Moog you can hardly tell the difference'. I would say play them side by side and you be the judge of that for yourself. To me, there is no comparison.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:19 am

Ticker -

No virtual analog (VA) synth truely nails the sound of analog, IMHO. I think the VA that gets the closest to analog is the Alesis Ion, but I haven't done exhustive comparisons with all the VA's on the market.

Also, keep in mind that this is all very subjective. In comparing the sounds of any two synths, what you and I might consider 'not even close' could be 'sounds the same to me' to someone else. Another point to consider is that these sounds are rarely heard in isolation, so differences may matter much less in the context of the song.

I've found that it's beneficial to have several synthesis technologies available for song creation. You have two great instruments that represent analog and VA synthesis. Exploit them for their strengths, and have fun!

gregae

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:59 pm

Hey

I have had a Moog Prodigy, Multimoog, Source, Opus III, Minimoog, Voyager and Memorymoog in my set-up at the same time and none of them sounded the same or even remotely similar, and they are all "analog & moogs".

At one point I owned 2 Model D's with serial numbers only 300+ apart and they didn't sound at all similar (one has some RMS modifications done to it so that might make it sound different), just the same as my Korg MS2000, Novation K-Station and Alesis ION don't sound similar and they are all VA's.

mal