To someone else with a MuRF (possible problem)

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
sir_dss

To someone else with a MuRF (possible problem)

Post by sir_dss » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:50 am

Can someone help me out here?

I just bought a MuRF and was trying to experiment with CV sources(CP-251, Binary Zone,etc...) to control diffrent things on the MuRF.

I'm using a regular 1/4" Tip-Sleave cable. It seems like I get a stronger effect what I plug in the cable part way leaving just 1/4" out. I know if I was using a mooger cv pedal I would need to use a Ring-Tip-Sleave cable. I'm only using one cable at a time.

Like CP-251 - into MuRF - Envelope CV in - ENV knob 12:00

Can someone else try this out and let me know if it's the same?

monads

Post by monads » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:38 am

I tried a standard patch TS cable. I messed around with the LFO on the CP-251 plugging it into the MF-105 envelope, LFO/sweep, rate, and mix and yes, I did get a stronger effect with the cable plugged 1/4" out of the MF-105 :) Makes for some pretty crazy effects/trills.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:23 pm

Hey monads,

Thanks for checking that out. I really liked the stronger signal myself. The sound is more wild and interesting. I'm just wondering if this is how it SHOULD sound when you send a CV signal to the MuRF.

I also sent a clock signal from my Binary Zone to control the "TAP" of the 105 too this way. This will be most useful with the modular system(MOTM/Blacet) I'm building up.

Would you, or anyone else know if there was a way to rewire the unit for the stronger CV signal? Maybe reverse the TIP with the RING of the jack?

Would this damage the unit?

It just sound so much more rich with plug left out a bit.

monads

Post by monads » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:26 pm

I hear what your saying. The stronger signal is cool and does sound more wild. But i wouldnt' know the slightest thing about rewiring the unit for stronger CV. If you find out let me know though :D

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:06 pm

yeah..It almost seems like the Ring and the Tip were switched.

I took a look it seems like the jacks are on a PCB so it wouldn't be easy.

Anyone else try this???

moogmusic
Site Admin

Not a problem!

Post by moogmusic » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:59 pm

Hey -
This is a "feature", though not intended.
On the MuRF, when you plug a jack 1/4" from all the way in, you are actually connecting the tip of the plug to the tip of the jack, but not breaking the switch connection that is normally connected to the tip of the jack when nothing is plugged in. Plugging the jack all the way in breaks that switch.
When the switch connection is not broken, all the tips are connected - so this acts sort of like a mult. causing that one CV to go to all the inputs.
BTW - It's not advisable to plug 2 inputs in like that, since you should never use a mult like a mixer.

The MuRF's CV ins were designed this way to allow for an expression pedal to sweep the whole range of the control when the control is set to 12:00 (Assuming the user plugs all the way in ;^)

I do not recommend voiding your warranty by poking around inside your MuRFs....

I do recommend further experimentation and enjoyment of your MuRFs!!!!

gerry

Post by gerry » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:55 pm

The MuRF's CV ins were designed this way to allow for an expression pedal to sweep the whole range of the control when the control is set to 12:00 (Assuming the user plugs all the way in ;^)

How about the other Moogerfoogers CV ins? Or can you configure them to do the same?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:22 pm

You know what Moogmusic???

You should let me beta test for you in the future!