Phatty 2.0?

Everything Phatty.
teknobryan

Re: Phatty 2.0?

Post by teknobryan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Sofine wrote:
It is NOT a rumour. It is true! I saw an article (complete with photo) in February's edition of Future Music, which pretty much confirms Rachel's OP.

Simon.
do you have a link to this? I did a search and couldn't find this article. just wondering...

T7

Post by T7 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:37 pm

teknobryan wrote:
Sofine wrote:
It is NOT a rumour. It is true! I saw an article (complete with photo) in February's edition of Future Music, which pretty much confirms Rachel's OP.

Simon.
do you have a link to this? I did a search and couldn't find this article. just wondering...
I just picked up the February issue of Future Music, it's true about the Little Phatty Stage II. No picture of the new model, but as far as I can tell from the description, the only difference from the current LP is a USB interface and what I am assuming will be a black anodized finish instead of silver as they state: "sophisticated black finish". Everything else will be available to current LPs with the next software update.

Sofine

Post by Sofine » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:46 am

teknobryan wrote:
Sofine wrote:

Simon.
They don't have a website (other than run of the mill sign-up for subs and corporate stuff etc.). However, T7 covers pretty much all the news above...

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:51 pm

Outside of a new OS with Arpeggiator, they absolutely need to add CV and gate out to this machine! I would like to purchase it to run some of my old analog Monophonics (mostly ARP) as well as get that "Moog" sound. If they do not add that feature, I will be buying a vintage Moog, instead of a new Moog.

Can't they just add a switch that would change the Pitch CV and Keyboard Gate from an input to outputs? They probably don't want to add this to the LP, as they want you to purchase the Voyager.

The addition of a direct USB really doesn't do anything for me, as I really don't use my computers for music, and I already have a basic MIDI to USB interface to transfer any OS updates.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Henfield wrote:I would like to purchase it to run some of my old analog Monophonics (mostly ARP) as well as get that "Moog" sound. If they do not add that feature, I will be buying a vintage Moog, instead of a new Moog.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/pro_solo.shtml
MF-102, MF-103, MF-107

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:59 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:
Henfield wrote:I would like to purchase it to run some of my old analog Monophonics (mostly ARP) as well as get that "Moog" sound. If they do not add that feature, I will be buying a vintage Moog, instead of a new Moog.
If I am already paying a premium to get the LP (compared to a Moog Source, Rogue, or later model Prodigy), I don't want to then pay extra for another piece of equipment.

In my opinion, I think that the LP is a flawed product because they chose to only allow CV ins. They rave about the keyboard action on the LP and say that it is a great keyboard to control other MIDI boards, but they did not allow it to have an interface so that it can control vintage Moog, Arp, Roland, etc... equipment.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

boose44

Post by boose44 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:11 am

I don't see how you can consider the LP a "flawed" product.

According to every review, background articles, and interviews you can find on the LP, it was designed as an economical monophonic analog performance synth and not as a controller.

The fact that it performs well as a Midi controller I consider a happy accident. I use mine wth a Voyager RME and love the fact that so many of the front panel controls on the LP directly control my RME via MIDI.

Sure, I would like to see some CV outputs -- even a Voyager style VX-351 accessory port -- but I realize doing so would add some serious $$ to the cost of the synth.

-bruce
[size=75]Little Phatty SE, Voyager RME, Kurtz PC2x0, Yamaha CS6x & RS7000
TD-12 VDrums, Pearl Masters' BRX, PD-11
Tascam 2488 & 788, Edirol UM-880
[/size]

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:50 am

boose44 wrote:I don't see how you can consider the LP a "flawed" product.

According to every review, background articles, and interviews you can find on the LP, it was designed as an economical monophonic analog performance synth and not as a controller.
My only compaint is that other vintage Moog "economical" Monophonic synths such as the Micromoog and the Rogue had these type of outputs. Why would you go to the trouble of putting CV ins and not put in the outs? You could also use the LP to control some of the MFs, such as the 103, 104 and 107. I would actually pay a little more for an LP II that had the Voyager accessory port so that it is more flexible.

If I were buying a new LP, I would not even attempt to add CV outs, as it would void the warranty, which is probably the main reason to even buy the LP. The warrenty gives you the peace of mind that you would have that it would work correctly, unlike some of the vintage units on the market.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:54 pm

The fact that the LP has MIDI and the Rogue and Micro didn't in my view makes it the Phatty way more versatile for controlling other instruments. Moog offers CV outs in the two Voyagers. Complaining about no CV outs is not unlike complaining that the LP only has 2 oscillators or that there aren't enough pots. It is what it is: a great affordable analogue mono synth.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Hyphen nation

Post by Hyphen nation » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:47 pm

boose44 wrote:I don't see how you can consider the LP a "flawed" product.

-bruce
this is the ONLY reason I haven't bought the LP

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Henfield wrote:If I am already paying a premium to get the LP (compared to a Moog Source, Rogue, or later model Prodigy), I don't want to then pay extra for another piece of equipment.
That's cool. Just letting you know that there is a cheap and easy solution available that will allow you to add the functionality you desire.
MF-102, MF-103, MF-107

otto

Post by otto » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Henfield wrote:
Jazzpunk wrote:
If I am already paying a premium to get the LP (compared to a Moog Source, Rogue, or later model Prodigy), I don't want to then pay extra for another piece of equipment.
The difference in price between a used source and a used LP are not that great. With the LP you get patch memory and a new, reliable synth (plus a few other thigns the source lacks). I can understand your desire but I don't think most players view that as a top priority. A modern analog mono that sounds vintage, has patch memory, midi and some CV-in's is hard to complain about. While I would welcome the CV-outs as well I think you are a minority in this concern and as others have stated there are external hardware options.

llamastorm

Post by llamastorm » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:25 am

Is the arpeggiator still in the works for the OS update to the LP "1.0"'s? That would be fantastic!

Thanks for continuing to update existing products!

pangmaster

Post by pangmaster » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:17 am

mmmmmmmmm.... Arpeggiator! 8)

kanker

Post by kanker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:20 am

pangmaster wrote:mmmmmmmmm.... Arpeggiator! 8)
Heck yeah
Little Phatty Tribute #0678