making a guitar sound more like a synth...

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
gerry

making a guitar sound more like a synth...

Post by gerry » Sat May 22, 2004 11:54 pm

I'm using the lowpass filter/ring mod/cp251, looking for something to add to get more of that Jan Hammer and Keith Emerson tone (I know, different ends of the analog synth tone spectrum)...any suggestions? TIA.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sun May 23, 2004 2:33 pm

Sometimes processing the signal through a cheap fuzz pedal can help with this sort of thing. Compressing the highs and lows into more of a square wave signal/fuzz like the Electro-Harmonix Micro Synth. But the Micro Synth's filter is a bit cheezy. The MF-101 will soung great especialy if you can send a bit of LFO to the frequency CV input control of the MF.

A great Fuzz you can find for close to $20! is the Danoelectro French Toast. Well worth finding. A clone of a Foxx Tone Machine(I have one of thses too) This fuzz really cuts through, and even when you don't have the fuzz maxed out(It must have something to do with the EQ?). It also has an octive up setting that tracks great. That and the Mooger will get you a super Prog/Fusion sound. If that's what you're going for.

The only thing is...

Why Moog you don't have a effects loop in the MF-101 so you can use it WITH a fuzz???

The Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+, and the Lovetone Meatball(back in production) does.

Anyone able to mod the MF-101 out to have a effects loop???

gerry

Post by gerry » Sun May 23, 2004 3:12 pm

thanks...actually I have the French Toast stashed back in the closet! I'll experiment, but where do you place the French Toast in sequence with the lowpass and ringmod?
I used to run the ring mod into the lowpass, into the amp, but now I find I get more synth style tone placing the ring mod as the last effect prior to the amp...

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Mon May 24, 2004 2:57 am

Hmmm. I would start with the French Toast. Then ring mod the signal and finish off with the filter.

ticker

Post by ticker » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:05 am

Electro Harmonix has the most horrible build quality of just about any pedal maker I've encountered. I've owned both a microsynth and a freq analyzer (and other EH stuff). Sigh, just horrible. The sliders on the microsynth.. well feel them for yourself. The power switches very flemsy (I had switches break on both my freq analyzer and micro synth). You could weasel some cool sounds out of them all things considered, but they would not hold up in my home studio much less on the road. I know... lots of artists depend on them. I do not see how but I have a feeling that they either carry several backup units or they have been mod'd so that the switches and so forth are dependable. When you compare them to Moog craftmanship or heck even Boss, you feel the rape that owned your wallet.

Oops, that was quite a ramble. Yes I am a little upset at EH gear. I've managed to get my Filterbank 2 / Fender to generate some sound quite like a synth :)