Moog responds to the LP Noise thread

Everything Phatty.
Amos

Moog responds to the LP Noise thread

Post by Amos » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 pm

Hello all,

First, thanks to all of you who have purchased the finest 37 note analog synth on the market. Moog Music is continually looking for ways to improve the Little Phatty as well as the Voyager and all our products.

Second, we would like to caution everyone who reads the forum to let their ears be their guide; not hearsay from others. Some of you who either own or are considering purchasing a Little Phatty will never hear the noise that is being discussed. No two analog synths are alike and no two people use their synth in the same way. Let YOUR ears be your guide.

Having said this, there have been two types of noise reported in the Little Phatty.

For LP Tribute Edition owners, we are pleased to announce an improvement with the next version of the LP Tribute Edition operating system. It will include a user-friendly "auto" mode for the EGR matrix parameter, allowing you noise-free playing and access to the Envelope section parameters without any menu-diving. Once this is available we will send an email to every Tribute Edition owner who has registered their LP thru the Moog Warranty Registration system. This addresses the panel scanning noise which affects only the Tribute Edition.

The other type of noise which has been reported is a high-frequency modulation which is only apparent in certain types of sounds. This kind of modulation is inherent to some degree in any analog synth which is under digital control, but we have recently identified a new component which drastically reduces this artifact by a factor of 4 (-12dB).
We are offering this as an upgrade to any Little Phatty Stage or Tribute Edition owner for a nominal fee of $50. Turnaround time will be 1-2 weeks depending on our workload. Call Moog for an RMA (Return Material Authorization). Shipping to and from the factory will be the customer's responsibility.

Again, we appreciate your support and we are confident that the Little Phatty will, as it has for the past 18 months, continue to be a great addition to any synth player’s setup.

djghostdogg

?

Post by djghostdogg » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:58 pm

nice.

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Sounds great, Amos.
I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Me too!
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

eweise

Post by eweise » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Can this part be installed ourselves instead of sending the unit back to the factory?

I don't hear any noise in my SE but maybe I don't know what to listen for. Do they all have it or just some units?

acmesoundlab

Post by acmesoundlab » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:38 pm

This goes to show, that if you are patient with a small company, and supportive, they come through in the end.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm

The noise which is improved by these new components is extremely subtle to begin with; a lot of people will never hear it and it's certainly not something you would ever hear live, or in a mix with other instruments... So if you don't hear it on your LP, then it's nothing to worry about. This upgrade will be of most interest to the small number of people who are affected by the noise.

As for self-installation, the LP uses very small surface-mount components, and I do not recommend that anyone attempt to replace components on the main circuit board unless they know what they are doing and have ESD-safe rework equipment designed for SMD parts. In addition, if your LP is still under warranty, don't try this yourself as it would void your warranty coverage.

If you are outside the USA and you are interested in this upgrade, we can work with you to send the parts to your nearest authorized Moog service facility, or try to make other suitable arrangements. In that case you would be responsible for paying the service facility for the time they spend installing the upgrade, but it would probably cost less to do this than to ship your Moog to the USA and back.

dlearyus

re: new OS

Post by dlearyus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:17 am

thnx Amos, any idea when new OS is coming?

Registered-TE #585 Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada

Extraborg

Post by Extraborg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:55 am

Hi Amos, can you let us non-USA Moogaholics know what we should do next regarding our Little Phatties.

Thanks

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 pm

Extraborg wrote:Hi Amos, can you let us non-USA Moogaholics know what we should do next regarding our Little Phatties.

Thanks
Hi guys,

I have no update yet on when the new OS is coming; sorry! I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Regarding non-USA folks who would like the LP upgrade mentioned in this thread, the best start would be to email me (amos at moogmusic.com) and tell me what country you live in, and where you purchased your Little Phatty.
I can then try to find the closest Moog-authorised repair facility. If there is no official repair shop near you, then I don't have a perfect plan... we can work with the electronics technician of your choice, but we cannot guarantee their work and so it may affect your warranty coverage.

rg

cool!

Post by rg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:11 pm

Sounds great to me! The auto mode for the EGR is just what I suggested. Thanks for not forgetting about us. Good stuff!

Rob G

dave500

Tribute Edition

Post by dave500 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:59 pm

I have a LP TE, which can't be replaced if lost in shipping, I don't see me sending it back. I'm hoping the new OS will be a miracle.

ps what does the warranty cover?
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Well we have never lost a unit in transit yet... here's hoping that continues. :)

AS for the warranty, it covers any failure that occurs under normal operating conditions, for one year from the date of purchase. Outside the USA, your Moog dealer/distributor may have different warranty terms; for example there is a 2-year mandatory minimum warranty anywhere within the EU.

Also, I have just been told that we expect the new Little Phatty operating system to be in beta-testing by mid/late March.

Cheers,

Amos

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Amos wrote:
Also, I have just been told that we expect the new Little Phatty operating system to be in beta-testing by mid/late March.

Cheers,

Amos
can you reveal what features they are going to add?? :lol:

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Another quick question:

I'm about to purchase a new LP, will the new LPs already have these updates?

Thanks