So what's this new product(s)?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:32 pm

I think that's a bit crappy that they would devalue the LP by releasing a new model so soon.

eweise

Post by eweise » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm really hoping that arpegiator is just a software thing and that the current phatties can be upgraded to have it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:56 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:
On some of the older gear, the Freq knob or the Rate on the S&H on the Micro moog are so sensitive yet the pot doesn't have tension. Its hard to get exactly where you were, whereas the Noise pot and the Filter Coutour amount don't have any tension on them at all.
Not sure I understand this above. :?:

The pots in the Micromoog are all the same type.
If yours feel different, it may be the result of age or service techniques.
New, they all felt the same.

I should also point out that many synths place a huge amount of range on their pots, so setting them exactly is more difficult.
This is a design thing though.
If the designers deliberately put 8-10 or more octaves of range on a tuning pot, even minor movements or shock will send the synth out of tune.
But if a pot only spans a couple of semitones, it is much easier to tune exactly and have it stay in place more accurately, hence the reason for coarse and fine tuning controls on some synths.

One of the reasons many great synths go out of tune is not the vco design itself, but that internally the designer placed a ton of range on the adjustment pots.
On an Arp Odyssey or 2600 for example, there's several octaves of tuning range placed on their VCO trimmers inside.
It hardly takes a minor nudge to send them out of tune.
It very well could be just mine and I thought that. But I figured it could have been designed like that too as having a tighter pot could make it easier to dial in whereas the noise wasn't so specific. Thanks for clearing that up.

E
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:38 pm

I absolutely want a Voyager with all the digital stuff left off. It could be an answer to the "please build a moog modular" requests we've heard for years.

LilFatty

NO Midi

Post by LilFatty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:35 pm

No Midi = useless for me.

Also how does this thing affect the Little Phatty??? I don't see that happening, i mean the Voyager Light has to be priced at say £999 inc Vat to touch LP sales imho.

Update:

I just noticed a rumour of the LP II, but so so soon...come on!!! :x If this turn out true, then i will never buy into a another Moog product. I just bought my LP SE in June 2007 after the ever going waiting list, and now they want to play the MKII game with us. :x :cry: :?:

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:18 am

I remember that Amos talk about a new LP OS version, the OS v2. One of the new features will be an arpegiator and LFO midi sync. I sync that USB is usefull (if you have a midiport or something like that). But if LP is your 1st hardware synth, is very posible that your computer don´t have any midi port (in new machines only USB, not joystick or midi port). And if your 1st synth is very probable that U don´t have a good soundcard (without midi).

For the marketing a new LP with USB is cool. But I hope that arpegiator, LFO and another new features will be avaible for the LP SE owners.

EricK

Re: NO Midi

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:21 am

LilFatty wrote:No Midi = useless for me.

I just noticed a rumour of the LP II, but so so soon...come on!!! :x If this turn out true, then i will never buy into a another Moog product.
If thats the case you might as well donate all of your Roland gear to me as they are notorious for releasing a brand new unit that is half as cheap as what was paid for the previous model. (usually just as soon as you buy it)

hehehe

Eric

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:36 am

I can't think of a single monophonic performance synthesizer that I'd prefer for the price of the LP, we all got our money's worth (Well, except for those of us with EP-1s haha). It's ridiculous to complain about new products rendering previous ones obsolete, that's really not true in the case of Moog equipment. We are making music with the stuff, not buying them as a financial investment strategy. Whatever "it" is tomorrow, I'm sure it will be something worthwhile. Yeah, Roland... talk about redundant product announcements.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:50 am

What I would complain about is a company that could launch great exciting new products, and spend the money on retro fetish, pricey pedals and a quite useless LP2 with arp
That's what qualifies as innovation?
I mean, I don't want to sound grumpy, they work on whatever they feel like, but don't expect me to be excited about these products (granted they're not simple rumours)
Why not try to develop a polyphonic synth that would compete price-wise with the Prophet08?
Maybe they are, you'd say, I don't know, but this vintage analogue hype is getting silly as far as I'm concerned (and I'm a proud LP owner)
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:44 am

some people are never happy! a new poly isnt just gonna appear out of thin air. id rather they take their time and get it spot on(if they do decide to make one)instead of just stick it out there so as to play catch up with dsi. trust that moog know what they are doing and even small innovations and products take a lot of time effort and money for a company as small as moog.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 am

[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:12 am

I'm well aware that polyphonic synths don't appear out of thin air
They seem to be quite popular though, at least for the last 20 years

But anyway, stripping down a Voyager to make it the replica of an instrument conceived in 1970, that's by definition outside the realm of innovation
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 am

dada wrote: Yeah, glad that one's true, pretty interesting product I think although I hope it's not too expensive as it might feel like too much of a luxury for something that's more a "peripheral" than an instrument in it's own right.
$499

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:03 pm

What kinds of possibillities will this pedal open up for those with Vintage, Current or Modular gear?

Perhaps if I had an example or two to go on then I could start wiring patches in my head.

Eric

von haulshoven

Post by von haulshoven » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 pm

the new moog voyager os is super!
would be great to assist in my smokescreen studio for creating stone age sequences. :D