So what's this new product(s)?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
toryjames

Phony spoilers?

Post by toryjames » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm

I found that Spanish site previously mentioned and did a free online translation, it's kind of funny:

Moog Music has prepared two sorpresitas for the fair NAMM that is on the verge of being celebrated; the first one is the new Multi-Pedal MP-201. It is based on the EP-2; will function with CV and MIDI (standard and USB). It can control to four Moogerfoogers at the same time. Has four LFOs independent and sincronizables and four exits of control. The second surprise can like the fanatics of them you feel: the new version "Old School" of the Minimoog Voyager. It is a matter of a Voyager trimmed, in reality: they have left the analog system, eliminating all the digital controls (pure "old school"). Characteristics of Multi-Pedal MP-201

It works with control of voltage (CV), MIDI (standard and USB) and can control to four Moogerfoogers simultaneously Four LFOs independent, sincronizables and generated internally, that can leave like CV and/or MIDI (4 forms of wave more S% H and noise) fast Configuration of analog team utilizing the function preset to store levels CV (this opens many possibilities with you feel as the Voyager, Little Phatty, feel
modulares and other feel analog) Four Of simultaneous control: each one can transmit CV and MIDI MIDI Clock Sync and Tap Tempo Conversion MIDI-to-CV of four channels Without mechanical parts: the pedal is united optically to the electronics With this pedal, you would have an optic controller with presets for CV, MIDI and USB. You would be able to connect all your analog team, your team MIDI and your computer
through a central controller. There is 100 presets available, that can be utilized through the LCD of the frontal board.

Their price will move around the 400$ and will be ready in the spring of 2008

A new one Voyager

The Minimoog Voyager YOU (Old School) will have the motor of analog sound of the Voyager original, but without digital controls. It is directed to a segment of musicians of certain age that simply they want something to replace to their Model D, and for young musicians that quieran an approach minimalist to their musical creativity. The classical design and the capacities CV expanded also do it interesting pair users of you feel modulares.

The price will patrol the 2400$, in some intermediate point among the price of a Little Phatty and a Voyager complete, and will be available in March of 2008.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:56 pm

Im officially ready for Mr Chris Stack to email me again with the next Moog Music News.

:D
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 am

Oh, I hope that's true about the Voyager...
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Indeed

Post by Indeed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:54 am

THERE'S GOT 2 BE MORE 2 THE NEW VOYAGER...LIKE MAYBE THAT DRIVE-BOOST THE LP HAS, OR/AND JUST WAAAAAAYYY MORE CV OPTIONS....I NEVER USE THE MIDI/PRESETS FUNCTIONALITY OF MINE ANYWAY...I'LL STRAIT SELL MY SH*T TO GET THAT ONE,,,BUT THEY GOTTA KEEP THAT XYZ SCREEN.....
MPC3000, MF-101, 102, 103, 104Z, 105M, 108m, 107, CP-251, MINI MODEL D, OB-8, ALESIS A6, ARP ODYSSEY MK1, RHODES MK1

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:43 am

Perhaps you can re-route the audio...

cl516

Post by cl516 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:31 am

well, i just got my voyager select recently, i hope this doesn't overshadow it... that would be sad.

dylan

Moog in new future retro via matrix synth via AH

Post by dylan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:41 pm

NAMM: Sneak Peak on New MOOG Products
via Peter Forest on the AH list:

"If I missed some posts, forgive me.. but I just saw that Future Music February UK edition has details of three interesting Moog items:- a Little Phatty II with arpeggiator and USB; a retro Voyager with no MIDI, presets, or touchscreen but 'enhanced modulation', different knob layout, and a lower price; and the MP-201 pedal - USB, MIDI, and four CV outputs."

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 pm

They could keep the touchpad.

I always thought that Id rather have a Voyager without the OS, but now that the possibillity of having one has come up I think id prefer the digital if not just for the Midi and the pot mapping.

Plus I like the numbers when you change the voyager so it helps to get exactly back where you were.

On some of the older gear, the Freq knob or the Rate on the S&H on the Micro moog are so sensitive yet the pot doesn't have tension. Its hard to get exactly where you were, whereas the Noise pot and the Filter Coutour amount don't have any tension on them at all.

Hey Im so excited about what they will announce. Maybe we will know on Friday or over the weekend.

Eric

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:58 pm

I found this on sonic state
http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=5

Well come to think of it, I think its old stuff.

Ken Joyce writes: .

Page 1 of 1

When approaching both the 30th anniversary of the beloved Minimoog as well as the release date of Big Briar (Bob Moog's) New Performance Synth, it feels more than appropriate to comment on the progress and future of the synthesizer industry.
For any readers who have been locked in a very dark closet for the past year, Big Briar has constructed a new lead synthesizer, called the New Performance Synth, that will be released this summer. While I haven't received any specific details regarding this new instrument, the picture and accompanying blurp on Big Briar's web site (http://www.bigbriar.com/2000synth.htm) leads me to believe that the New Performance Synth is basically an updated version of the notorious Minimoog.

I must admit that I had mixed feelings the first time I read about this "new" instrument. True, The New Performance Synth will alleviate stress from the virgin-tight Minimoog market, give musicians affordable access to an extremely fat instrument that now stays in tune and can be bought somewhere other than on E-bay, and offer MIDI control capabilities without forcing us to hack apart another precious piece of musical instrument history and shove it into a 19" rack. But these features don't seem like much to offer when, after all, the synthesizer industry has experienced almost 30 years of technical advancements and spent countless hours and millions of dollars on research and development. So then isn't Bob Moog undermining the entire electronic instrument industry?

Certainly not. For example, does Steinway threaten the future of further developments in the piano industry because they continue to produce the best pianos in the world using designs that they perfected decades ago? Of course not. Steinway, like Moog, provides an industry-standard that all other companies must strive to be like. Not every family or church can afford a concert Steinway, but because Steinway makes such an exquisite instrument, there companies that produce less expensive alternatives that mimic a Steinway's delicate roar. The New Performance Synth will combine the raw power of a true analog instrument with useful digital advancements like MIDI control. It will remind every synth user what an electronic instrument is supposed to sound like and also offer musicians several features that they have become accustomed to. The other synth manufacturers are already being forced to comply with these old rules.

In an obscure way, Bob Moog's return represents a "changing of the guard" within the synthesizer industry. Until now, synthesizer technology has followed electronic technology's seemingly exponential curve. However, in the future, decisions regarding synthesizer developments will not be based upon whether or not adequate technology is available; rather, musicians who play the beasts will get to decide exactly what they want. Who cares if Korg can make a new chip that would make a Triton 256 voice multitimbral when all musicians are looking for is a synth that has one channel with one voice, is monophonic, and has lots of wood on it.

The New Performance Synth is a tribute to the success of synthesizers, and its release marks a key point in the development of electronic instruments. Please do not think of returning to analog as taking a step backward, but consider the possibility that we are now lowering our heads so we can enter the next exciting era of electronic enlightenment.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Also word about an LP II...with an arpegiator!!
Thanks Bob!!

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:03 pm

lololol I hope im not stirring up the rumor pot!

E

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:10 pm

IK MULTIMEDIA SAMPLEMOOG: The most complete collection of Moog sounds ever released in one product, SampleMoog was done in cooperation with Moog Music and includes18 rare, collectible Moog synths, accurately sampled and programmed with the addition of built-in effects. This sample-based product offers a wide range of basses, leads, pads, and effects from monstrous Moog Modulars to rare Minimoogs to Taurus Bass Pedals, Polymoogs, Memorymoogs and more-virtually the entire range of Moog synthesizers in a single product. NAMM Booth #6520.

http://emusician.com/ms/namm08/new_prod ... ntrollers/

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:17 pm

On some of the older gear, the Freq knob or the Rate on the S&H on the Micro moog are so sensitive yet the pot doesn't have tension. Its hard to get exactly where you were, whereas the Noise pot and the Filter Coutour amount don't have any tension on them at all.
Not sure I understand this above. :?:

The pots in the Micromoog are all the same type.
If yours feel different, it may be the result of age or service techniques.
New, they all felt the same.

I should also point out that many synths place a huge amount of range on their pots, so setting them exactly is more difficult.
This is a design thing though.
If the designers deliberately put 8-10 or more octaves of range on a tuning pot, even minor movements or shock will send the synth out of tune.
But if a pot only spans a couple of semitones, it is much easier to tune exactly and have it stay in place more accurately, hence the reason for coarse and fine tuning controls on some synths.

One of the reasons many great synths go out of tune is not the vco design itself, but that internally the designer placed a ton of range on the adjustment pots.
On an Arp Odyssey or 2600 for example, there's several octaves of tuning range placed on their VCO trimmers inside.
It hardly takes a minor nudge to send them out of tune.

dylan

PIC OF MP-201 ON MATRIXSYNTH

Post by dylan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:26 pm

nathan

Post by nathan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:27 pm

i still hope it includes a simple and more humble productrelease like the ribboncontroller or x/y-pad. :oops:
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular