what should moog release next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

what should moog release next

"more affordable synthesizer"
8%
vocoder
5%
drum machine
13%
modular
11%
new moogerfooger (mf style)
10%
new moogerfooger (cp 251 style)
14%
self contained poly synth
39%

Total votes: 202

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 pm

I'm a bit surprised how little attention is paid to the controller end. Surprised Even a stock Voyager is capable of a truly infinite pallete of sonic textures, but most "keyboardists" play one like a piano or organ, or confine themselves to midi programming alone as the means of creating sound.
I think it depends on the usage.
People that play synths as keyboard instruments often use them for melodic lines.
The fact they can make endless sounds isn't terribly important to the context of their work, but being in tune and sounding good is.
A pop or hiphop song is not always the best vehicle to demonstrate textural diversity.
A trance song or tone poem isn't the place to show off a funky bass line.
Whether a person creates a million interesting sounds or plays a preset one finger at a time, I don't think one usage is more valid than the other.
Instruments and music are personal things and not everyone is Wendy Carlos, where both keyboard chops and sound synthesis come into play in large way.
Some people just want a good "worm" sound in their track.
Some people buy Porsche turbos to then drive them only 35 mph .
That's their business. :)

As for lack of controllers, the Voyager would seem to be the least likely synth for such observations.
It already has a multi-axis control pad, aftertouch, lots of knobs, jacks and two wheels.
No other analog synth has all that and the pad *was* Bob's idea.
It would be really nice to have a keyboard with keys that modulated from side to side, but there's no one making them and no large market to fill. :(

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:50 am

I go for the modular. :D
I like the clones, but I prefer having a brand new, original, Moog modular..
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:39 pm

They should make a new filter.

Well, kinda new. They should (imho) make a transistor ladder filter out of tubes instead of transistors. It would probably have to be a 2-3U space rack unit to get a 4-pole filter going (mono) but it would be pretty freaking sweet at the end of the day.

Either that or they should make the drum machine to end all drum machines- or at least a drum sound module.
Signature #144

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:33 pm

How easy is it to match pairs of tubes? :shock:
I guess there's this already.

gd

Post by gd » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:20 pm

I'd like to see them bring out a ribbon controller again.
Mini D, P'08 ..

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing and kinda glad you beat me to saying so.

The ribbon is part of Moog history.
A good one could sell for LilPhatty's, Vger's as well as for MF's.
Could you imagine changing parameters on a MF with your finger on a ribbon? :)

For a company that makes Theremins, another linear controller for synth users would be great.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:29 pm

Naw... X/Y controller for 2 parameters.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:47 pm

A joystick?

Some people love them, but a joystick potentially crams a lot of range into something that usually has less physical travel than most pots.
If you're using them for small parameter changes like inducing LFO modulation for vibrato, they're pretty good.
But you have to be very precise for things like pitch changes and then, being spring loaded usually, you can't let your hand off 'em or they snap back to zero position.
Most long ribbons have a sample and hold in them that holds the voltage when you remove your hand.

I dunno... you're talking about new products and this board still has a post on top about Moogfest, which happened in late Sept. ;-)

nathan

Post by nathan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:18 pm

!!yes!!
ribbon and/or X/Y-controller!!
:D
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

Gonga

Post by Gonga » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Kevin said "As for lack of controllers, the Voyager would seem to be the least likely synth for such observations.
It already has a multi-axis control pad, aftertouch, lots of knobs, jacks and two wheels."

This was a good post, and these particular comments were also valid. But I'm an RME owner. People who bought the RME, I think, assumed it would work pretty well with the controller of their choice, and it turns out that's not the case. My RME puts out horrific digital artifacts when controlled by either of my keyboards - Alesis QS8 and Novation X-Station. Unfortunately, no one has yet been able to recommend a synth-action midi controller that will work with it without these blatent artifacts.

Also, I do not have the jacks (no pedal jack!), the wheels, nor the touch pad. So if you look at it this way, then perhaps you can see that a quality Moog midi controller that was available in longer lengths and could be customized with various left-hand controllers of the user's choice would not only complement the RME nicely, but would be a revolutionary product because of its modularity. And this modularity would involve the most intimate aspects of the instrument - the controllers. Due to the problems some of us have had with these artifacts, along with the other points I have made, I think I am justified in suggesting this product.

Since Jan Hammer uses the joystick almost exclusively now, it's hard to argue it's not precise enough! I am with Jan in that I've used all the controllers (including a rotary knob - quite successfully) and I would argue that the joystick's ergonomic attributes can compensate for the increase in range. Here's a single rough track I recorded of solo improvisation (over a percussion track) using a joystick for pitch-bend set for minor thirds in each direction:

http://danling.com/studio/MP3/Hipradahay.mp3

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:53 am

Has anyone ever tried to use a Dotcom keyboard with their RME?

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

sine

Post by sine » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Gonga wrote:Here's a single rough track I recorded of solo improvisation (over a percussion track) using a joystick for pitch-bend set for minor thirds in each direction:

http://danling.com/studio/MP3/Hipradahay.mp3
Nice playing, Dan. Question: I realize you're demonstrating the use of joystick here--which you did very well, but are we hearing the RME? If so, I can't figure out how you're bringing in the 5th, and occasional 3rd intervals.

Gonga

Post by Gonga » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Thanks sine. I forgot to mention that the synth is the Novation X-Station (8-voice virtual analog).

I don't use the Voyager for anything but bass, because the digital artifacts I get using the Alesis or Novation as controllers make the Voyager sound digital anyway. What a waste of a great synth :cry:

Someday, I hope to find a controller that works with it.

jrlaudio

Post by jrlaudio » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:28 am

Being an owner of a very expanded IIIc for some twenty years I would love to see a new modular line, but I also know this would be soooo problematic for Moog Music. First, the market is very limited. Also they would need to consider backward compatibility with the older 900 series to maximize that already limited market completely. And that would also involve the possibility of providing upgrades to the old systems (eg newer power supply designs, interfacing issues, etc). For Moog Music to get involved in this would be ruinous IMHO, no matter how much I would love to see it happen.

But considering Dave Smith's recent success with his Prophet reworks, Moog Music should consider a reworking of the MemoryMoog. The last time I spoke with Bob, which was right around the time of the documentary shoot and the 1st Moogfest here in NYC, when I suggested such a thing he literally cringed. He said "I don't know ... would anybody buy it?". I didn't have an answer for him back then. In retrospect, considering Dave Smith's current products doing as well as they are, Moog might just might consider this direction. I know it's rumored already. I think there is a market and not just with the "OS" dudes like myself.

As far as a Taurus goes, while Moog recently got the trademark renewed on the "Taurus" name, I think they would be better off developing a midi pedal board that is intended for use with the Phatty and the current Voyager line. A full blown, self-contained pedal board like a Taurus would be a losing proposition for them since these days it would be simply outside most modern day musical applications. Besides a good midi pedal board and a Phatty would be more than equivalent to an original Taurus and cost about the same as a new self-contained Taurus would.

John LeVasseur

eweise

Post by eweise » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 pm

They should really expand on the little phatty. Maybe add the same functionality as the voyager (3rd osc etc) but keep the LP interface. I think they went the wrong direction trying to make a cheaper voyager by getting rid of the midi and presets. I'm sure they could have come in under $2000 by putting a full blown voyager (maybe without the pad control) into a LP box instead.