TE Phatty Noise Thread

Everything Phatty.
Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:33 am

dagargo wrote:Amos, do you think is there a hardware solution for this?
There could be a hardware solution - the question is, can there be a practical hardware solution which is not too expensive?

The most effective hardware solutions I can think of will involve an additional circuit board, and possibly a need to cut traces and solder wires to mate the new circuit board to the existing boards inside the TE.

The best solution must not require too much modification to the original electronics, or too much skilled labour necessary to install the mod. So, this is an engineering challenge. I assure you that I am working on this and will not let it be forgotten.

However, Moog Music is working on a lot of very interesting new products for 2008, and we still have only the same small engineering staff... so we must be patient. The engineers must balance many projects at once, so it could be some time before this LP TE noise project can be completed.

Thanks!

-Amos

sine

Post by sine » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:49 pm

Amos, if I may ask, the TE noise you refer to in the above post is not the same as the SE noise referred to below. Correct?
http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#30278

Yes, I'm positive I have a Stage LP (the rubberised cheeks are a giveaway). And so far as I know, there is no fix for the noise as yet. It's a fault known to the guys at Moog (see email from Amos below).

"We're working on that aspect. It is in fact a tiny bit of high-frequency
interference occurring on the analogue board, an all-analog problem that
has the ironic characteristic of sounding like digital aliasing! I will
ask our head engineer Cyril Lance what is the current outlook on
eliminating this interference. Thanks very much for writing in to keep
us informed."

kanker

Post by kanker » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:50 pm

Amos wrote:However, Moog Music is working on a lot of very interesting new products for 2008, and we still have only the same small engineering staff... so we must be patient. The engineers must balance many projects at once, so it could be some time before this LP TE noise project can be completed.
This is disappointing. One would thing one would want to get things right first and *then* move on to new things.
Little Phatty Tribute #0678

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:51 pm

kanker wrote:This is disappointing. One would thing one would want to get things right first and *then* move on to new things.
I agree it's very disappointing but Moog, as any other company, has to move on. For me the real problem is that there was a big and noticieable problem which nobody wanted to look at.

Anyway, if now they are considering even hardware solutions it seems they're trying to fix the mistakes they made and that's for sure a good thing.

rg

still noisey

Post by rg » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Is there any news regarding fixing the noise problem? I have two Little Phatty Tributes that i don't feel like using...

Rob G

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:37 am

Hey Rob, the noise issue is hardly a reason not to be getting stuck into your LP's. I use mine all the time and whilst its sometimes a little noticeable it never gets in the way. If im using a sound where the noise reveals itself more then just flip the egr matrix to off whilst you are recording. Its a really good way round it until a hardware fix arrives. Its easy to get hung up on these small problems and let it cloud your view of the synth but i think it would be a bit silly not to use either of your lps because of this. Just get stuck in and make some music! Youll soon forget about this tiny issue...
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:28 am

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely a nuisance, but it don't prevent me from using my LP a hell of a lot!
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Assar

No more Moog?

Post by Assar » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:16 am

I haven't participated in this discussion earlier. I have heard the noise and it has alway been disturbing. But it seem to me it has gotten worse lately.

Now, if this isn't fixed I'm thinking of returning my LP. It is a fabrication problem and by Swedish law you then have the right to return it within 2 years.

I'm getting pretty mad at the nonchalant response from Moog.
:evil:

Will I buy anything else från Moog?
No, not if this isn't fixed.

EDIT: correcting parameter name and some other things
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

sine

Re: No more Moog?

Post by sine » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:23 am

Assar wrote:I'm getting pretty mad at the nonchalant response from Moog.
:evil:
: having an air of easy unconcern or indifference

Assar, respectfully, judging by Amos's posts on this subject I don't think nonchalant is a fair characterization. What I've read here is Moog is aware of the issue and is working on a solution. We might agree that it's taking too long, but I wouldn't call that indifference.

Assar

Re: No more Moog?

Post by Assar » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:37 am

Ok, maybe it's a hard word to use, but still ...

The problem should have been noticed by a simple test before release. Since it wasn't, they should prioritize to get a solution before getting new products out.
I don't care about a new OS or some new pedals. Fix what's broken before starting on something else!
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:40 pm

announcement coming very soon. :)
have faith and do not worry... help is on the way!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Lemme give you a piece of advice.

Have faith.

Lemme tell you why.

Moog is a smaller company than like say Roland or Yamaha and they have a lot going on over there. Everything is done by hand by a small group of dedicated workers so please be patient.

I guarantee you man that they really care about their products, they are all really passionate about quality control over there and they willhelp you.

I didn't see where Amos said Have Faith until now hehehe but thats how it is. Don't give up on Moog because this type of instance is rare.

Moog stuff is so great! I can understand 100% how when you think about having a new piece of gear and having so much inspiration to play it get drained away because its not functioning properly. THats why people started smashing their guitars and stuff for so many years lol.

Just don't give up because they are going to handle it and your Moog will be back to its original self very soon!

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.