Easier Alternative

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Don

Easier Alternative

Post by Don » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 am

As many of the people here know, although it is often assumed that a theremin was used on the Beach Boy's song, "Good Vibrations," the actual instrument was a [i]Tannerin[/i], also known as an "Electro-Theremin" or Slide Theremin. Although a Tannerin sounds like a theremin it is played completely differently.

A Tannerin comes in a keyboard-sized case and has a non-functional keyboard drawn along the top. Below the keyboard is a slider with a pointer. The slider gives a control to sound generators resulting in a glissando sound, and the pointer shows the note that is being played. Thus, it becomes incredibly easy to find the exact note, rather than needing to use pre-listening via an earphone, rapid searching to find the exact note by ear, using a "cheater" (such as a "pitch corrector"), air fingering, etc.

As a comparison, it would be similar to a ribbon controller, but points to exact notes.

I have both the E-Pro and a form of Tannerin, a custom built device known as a Therevox (sorry, this isn't an advert so look it up yourself if you're interested). Both work incredibly well.

My question to people here is this: Since most people think the sound on "Good Vibrations" is a Theremin, does it really matter if you use a Theremin, a Tannerin such as a Therevox, or just a synth with portamento/glide turned on? Should we be purists and only use a Theremin, or is the only thing that matters the sound? Would you prefer to use a Tannerin where you can easily hit the right notes every time?

There is no "right" or "wrong" in this debate, I'd just like to see what people think.

kanker

Post by kanker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:23 pm

Since you bring up the Tannerin, have you seen this?

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/
Little Phatty Tribute #0678