factory patches - OSC 2 de-tuned ??

Everything Phatty.
hazerkeys

factory patches - OSC 2 de-tuned ??

Post by hazerkeys » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Hi - saw some posts related to this, but they seemed a little out of date - so here goes .. Just got my Tribute #1032, version 1.02c - I let it warm up, but still (to my ear) several of the patches do not seem right until I do a minor tweak to OSC 2 FREQ (thank you Bob, Snappy lead, Brass) - realize that some sounds will be made with a slight detune of the oscillators, but these sound really wierd until OSC 2 is tweaked and then you have some ripping leads. ....
- - will 1.03c update help this ?
-- do I have a possible OSC 2 problem ???
thanks for any advice ..
p.s. - listened to "snappy lead" on the moog tribute site and it sounds great .. like AFTER I correctly tune OSC 2 ??? - but when (after warm up), I select this patch .. it is way out of tune .. oh, I did reset to the factory settings as well ...

dave500

Calibration

Post by dave500 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:21 pm

I had to do a complete note calibration when I first got mine. note, pitch wheel, and Osc2 Freq. It took over two hours and I leave tuning on auto but now its great. :D
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

kanker

Post by kanker » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:34 pm

Yeah, my Tribute was MASSIVELY out of tune when I got it - around a tritone out. Auto calibrated everything, now it's perfect.
Little Phatty Tribute #0678

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:14 am

Mine was all right for a day, then got way out of tune
Autocalibration indeed is recommanded
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

hazerkeys

thanks - auto calibration only with 1.03c ??

Post by hazerkeys » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:30 am

Thanks for all the quality responses (unit # 1032 here) - I am correct that auto calibration can only be done with the 1.03c upgrade, right ? (running 1.02c now)

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:06 am

That's right
The procedure is explained in the update pdf, and like mentioned above, get ready for a good 2 hours of auto-calibration
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

kanker

Post by kanker » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:00 am

Khoral wrote:That's right
The procedure is explained in the update pdf, and like mentioned above, get ready for a good 2 hours of auto-calibration
But be ready for there to be much joy and celebration when the auto calibration is done. :wink:

It's a whole heck of a lot more enjoyable than sitting there with tiny little screwdrivers trying to tune an old Mini.
Little Phatty Tribute #0678

Rfx

Post by Rfx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:47 am

When I receibed my stage LP, its presets sounded out of tune too, in fact I though they were not professionaly programed; after recalibrating osc2 (calibration menu) procedure that take only a moment, same presets sounded smooth and impressive. Now I can't be any minute without playing the phatty.

gazer

Post by gazer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:58 am

I had to do four full calibrations three days in a row. It pissed me off and i quit playing it for a few days. Turned it on had the same detuned osc 2 prob. convinced my self it actually gave my LP more character. Got over that when I realized it was pointless for me to save my patches got mad again. I did a pitch wheel tune then an osc 2 tune only. Knock on wood but it seems to have taken care of the problem. My new belief now though is that my LP is alive and it healed itself, it just took a few weeks.

rachel

Post by rachel » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:26 am

I have had to recalibrate about once a week, but we are having wild temperature fluctuations
over here. From 35c one day down to 18c the next. Also I didn't turn my LP on for a few days
last week and I needed to recalibrate after that.

rachel

Rfx

Post by Rfx » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Hi all, about this detuned presets, do you remember to power-on LP some minutes before begining to play. Its needs some time to warm-up VCOs and tune them. Mine last 10-15 minutes... It's on user's manual page 6 bottom:

"It is recommended that a warm up period of about 15 minutes be allowed before using the LP. The LP’s VCOs use a heated chip design that take a short time to warm up. The warm up period may be longer if the LP has been stored outside the recommended operating temperture range."

Hope it helps

hazerkeys

all in tune now !!! - 1.03c update

Post by hazerkeys » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:22 am

:D - Well, I plugged in the m-audio uno usb to midi device (XP saw it , cool !) - plugged in the little phatty .. started up the Tribute executable downloader, selected the usb midi port, crossed my fingers and toes and hit "enter" ..... about a minute later I had an updated 1.03c Tribute !!!!!
- restored factory presets
- did the pitch wheel calibratino
- did the osc 2 calibration
- did the all notes calibration
*** now have a sweet in-tune machine **** Whew, after all the nightmares I have read here no the upgrade, guess I lucked out !! :)

acmesoundlab

Post by acmesoundlab » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:24 am

I have noticed a lot of fluctuation of osc 2's pitch on my patches also. It now seems to me that because I am constantly correcting osc 2's pitch, that most of my patches are recalled with osc 2 freq as the selected parameter in the osc section. It may be because of a slight value jump when that knob is activated, that I've noticed that if after I've corrected the pitch, if I change the the selected parameter in the osc section to anything other than osc 2 freq before saving, my patches seem to come back the way I left them. Not yet scientifically proven, but it seems to have an effect.