how's the voyager on it's own?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
qwilt

how's the voyager on it's own?

Post by qwilt » Fri May 28, 2004 4:47 pm

..without the cp251 or other external modules? Using the touch pad, I'd imagine you should have a fair amount of control over voltage-controlled parameters without needing other CV pedals/LFOs....true? Or is it fairly limited by itself?
For example, I use the CP251 with the low pass filter and ring mod, and it does make a big difference (playing guitar thru it) in modulation abilities. I would hope the voyager as a self-contained musical instrument would be more flexible.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Fri May 28, 2004 4:52 pm

yeah it's pretty cool...especialy since OS 2.1. Pot Mapping. You can get really deep with this thing.

monads

Post by monads » Fri May 28, 2004 4:57 pm

Yea, pot mapping makes a big difference.

qwilt

Post by qwilt » Fri May 28, 2004 5:09 pm

By pot mapping do you mean moving your fingers along the x and y axis for different parameters?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat May 29, 2004 3:56 am

Pot Mapping allows you to asign several functions to one pot on the panel. For instance the LFO rate pot could also control the filter so as you increased the speed of the LFO the filter would open up and get brighter. Or you could set up the overall volume be controled by keyboard velosity.

Think of it as a virtual 4X4 pin matrix like on a EMS Synthi. Stacking voltage-controlled parameters on top of each other. It's pretty cool once you get the hang of it.

I did have a blast with the Voyager for random or self-playing patches before OS 2.1 but it's even cooler now.

LWG

Post by LWG » Sat May 29, 2004 7:33 pm

Hello,

Pot mapping is a convenient method of reassigning the Voyager's front panel hardware and some controller functions however, it is not a programmable modulation matrix in the conventional sense.

Regards