Filter Glide Mod

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
jon_kull

Filter Glide Mod

Post by jon_kull » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:16 am

Has anyone out there done the filter glide mod on their Voyager themselves and if so would you care to share how?

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Talk to MC.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:22 pm

I wouldn't mind knowing this, either. I'd rather not ship the Voyager half way around the world... Not sure if there are any registered techs here.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:35 am

I didn't do the mod myself, Moog Music did it for me.

Even if I knew what the mod was, I couldn't share it because of warranty issues. Sorry...

crs.one

filter glide mod

Post by crs.one » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:04 pm

I can't find any information on the filter glide mod on the moog website. when did this come out? what does it do, and how can I tell if my voyager has it?

thanks
Chris
crs.one

till

Post by till » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:50 pm

The filter of a non modified Voyager is not tracking the keyboard with the glide circuit function. That means, that a long glide whil sweep the frequency of the oscillators but the keyboard tracking of the filter is without the glide.
To check this, use full keyboard tracking on a self oscillating (max emphasis/Resonance) LP filter. No Envelope or other modulation on the filter. Then use plenty of glide. Des the filter changes its frequency in instant steps when playing big intervals? If yes, there is no filter glide.

The filter glide is something the Minimoog had. And this is why so many people think they miss it on the Voyager. But actually many of them do not use it at all, or do not know how to find out if its there or not.
I don't miss it at all. And I discovered the Minimoog got filter glide only after I read about the Voyager did not have it. So, it isn't something as serious as the after touch mod.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

jon_kull

Post by jon_kull » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Before my Voyager arrived I was worried about the aftertouch and filter glide but it's such a great sounding instrument that I don't really miss either of them. They can wait...

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:13 pm

thanks till.

not totally sure i followed you, but it does seem like it's something of little consequence. i think the part i don't follow is the instant step frequency changes. i'm not sure i'd be able to recognize them if i heard them. the voyager can often be a very humbling instrument.
crs.one

till

Post by till » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:43 am

You will notice very easy if the pitch of the self oscillating filter jumps from one pitch to another, or if it takes a sec or more if glide is present.
I think you don't need to be trained or skilled to get the sonic difference on the first try ever.

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Nick2012

Post by Nick2012 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:42 pm

I'll be ordering a Voyager Select soon from an online retailer and I'll be disappointed if it arrives without filter glide. That is a very cool feature. I first became acquainted with it when I owned a PolyMoog. Using filter glide I got the BEST rhythmic wha wha effects. Better than I could get with any other modulation or filter envelop techniques. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have the mod. First... You can have filter glide ON with OSC pitch glide OFF, right? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Second... How can my online retail rep be sure he's sending me a unit with that mod? Will the software version number be a reliable indication? Is filter glide a hidden function, or is there actually a hardware switch or knob setting that's clearly labeled?

chinard

Post by chinard » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:30 am

I recently picked up a used voyager and it looks like a very early model.
(its got the white pitch/mod wheels and the name plate in the centre of the keyboard)

anyways, ive tested the hell out of it and its pretty solid but i do know it needs the 3.x upgrade, the aftertouch mod, and the filter glide mod.

Now i'm a DIY'er so i like to do as much stuff myself if possible especially if its out of warranty hardware.
Also, shipping it to moog is a major hassle and involves international shipping and even worse dealing with USA customs :(

Now the 3.x upgrade and aftertouch mod aren't a problem because they are available from moog as a proper field kit. Its the filter glide mod i cant seem to get any specific info on.
I figure if i can handle building a paia 9700 i can probably handle clipping a resistor and wiring it somewhere as long as there is no SMT involved. If there is, i have resources to get that done locally.

Anyways, enjoying the hell out of the voyager so far. (this makes #4 in my moog family so far)
If someone has any specific details/documentation/schematics for performing this mod, please PM me.

till

Post by till » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:39 am

Nick2012 wrote:...
You can have filter glide ON with OSC pitch glide OFF, right? ...
In theory: yes
But this is not the way this mod is normally done. The aim of this modification is to make the Voyager act like the minimoog. And there was only a single glide circuit on the minimoog.
Sure, with some electric knowledge, this is possible to add.
And the analog board is not SMT. At least not on units I saw opened yet.

Sequence:

Nick2012

Post by Nick2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 am

And there was only a single glide circuit
OK, then let me ask the question a little differently. As designed, does the filter glide mod for the Voyager allow you to route the control voltage of that single glide circuit to the VCF without also routing it to the VCO? I would hope there are 3 routing options; To the filter, to the osc, or to both.

till

Post by till » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:14 am

I don't think so.
Because this would need additional switch and this would not be stored with the patch. Therefore adding these three possible glide option would be a very special modification.

My guess is (I am not a tech):
right now the keyboard voltage is sent to the VCOs and the VCFs on separate ways before the glide is added. The glide circuit is only in the CV path to the VCOs.

After the "official" mod, the glide circuit is acting first on ALL keyboard CV and then the voltage is send to the VCOs and VCFs on different paths.

So the "official" mod is maybe nothing more than cutting a trace and soldering a jumper cable.

It is Moog Music decision to publish the mod or not.
My Voyager is off the warranty.
And I opened it for some pictures and for the memory upgrade before.

Sequence:

Nick2012

Post by Nick2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:57 pm

OK till. Thanks for your input.