new 8 voice all analog poly

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
LilFatty

Post by LilFatty » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:20 pm

mee3d wrote:
The moog sound is admired and for good reason but personally I think one needs a mixture of tones so something like a Prophet08 or Andromeda adds to the mix nicely.

Mal

Well said.

I always prefer a bigger sound palette, it just allows me to keep things different sound wise. Also helps with my inspiration when creating.

Regarding the Prophet 08 - imho this synth has everything i expected in the sound department. It has a rich clean sound, just like the Omega 8. Obviously sounds different due to filter design, etc. But it definately sounds analog to my ears. It's not as wet sounding as a Moog (inc my LP), but it sounds much bigger in terms of the stereo spread than my A6. It compliments the A6 pretty well imo.

From web demos, it is quite obvious that the P'08 can sound sharp and animated, but also fat and warm. Various string demos really show off the sound depth of this synth. Some sci fi pads, as well as big basses. Suprised to hear such smooth leads too. I am pretty much sold. :)

miket156

Post by miket156 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:18 pm

I don't know about Moog putting out a poly synth. Dave Smith builds a few prototypes and then has the production units made in an electronic mfg factory "somewhere" in the LA basin. In a conversation I had with him about the PEK a few years back, he said that he was "Having them assembled in a factory across town".

From what I read about the Voyager, its hand built by Moog in their small "factory". That's why its so expensive, they are made one at a time. I don't know how the Little Phatty is made, maybe its a manufactured product, and that's one of the reasons its priced as it is.

I'd like to know more about how Moog handled the Little Phatty. If its a manufactured synth, maybe they might have the capability of building a poly synth. But I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Mike T.

edogg

Post by edogg » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:36 pm

It remains to be seen if the Prophet 8 kills Voyager sales. Why would a synth newbie pay over $3,000 for a monophonic Voyager when they can buy an 8 voice Prophet 8 for $2,000? Unless you have to have a Moog, it just doesn't make sense not to purchase the P8.
I doubt that a synth newbie would buy a Voyager right off the bat.

But, a Moog in conjunction with the Prophet 08 is going to be a match made in heaven.

Little Phatty 1200 + Prophet 08 2000 = still about the same as a voyager!
that's going to be the new rig!

[/quote]

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:35 pm

I think its kinda unfair to compare the new prophet 08, which is an 8 voice synth that's under $2000, to the voyager, a one voice synth that's over $3000. Obviously they are not the same thing. The poly evolver was a really cool keyboard and I believe that the prophet 08 will be as well. People need to understand there is a big difference in the sound of these synths and the prices reflect that. I think most people who are going to be willing to drop 2 or even 3 grand on a synthesizer know EXACTLY what they are looking for and what they want. The voyager isn't a product for someone who is thinking "oh the moog voyager sounds interesting, maybe I should get one??" The voyager is for people who know what they are looking for and have checked out most of the stuff the competition has to offer. In this regard I don't think the prophet 08 is going to make the people at moog sweat bullets to come out with their own poly synth or drive buisness away, cause they do have the little phatty which is around a grand and is for people who either know they want the moog sound or for people that are interested in analog synths.
Having said all this I do think that moog could make a really amazing poly synth in the same vein as the memorymoog and make it affordable. It's probably not going be six voyagers in one or maybe even six LP's in one but it could still be an amazing synth and I think a lot of voyager and LP owners would get one. Moog seems to be continuing to push the envelope and come up with new and different products (the freqbox is one of the coolest things out there right now and it's totally unique) and I would say it's fair to say that they wil;l eventually come out with a poly synth but I doubt that the prophet 08 will be the driving force behind that.

synthetic

Post by synthetic » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:50 pm

I believe that the Voyager came out at the same time as the Andromeda, another less-expensive polysynth. That didn't seem to affect Voyager sales very much.

MC

Post by MC » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Andromeda was released in January 2001, Voyager was released in September 2002.

miket156

Post by miket156 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:05 pm

I doubt that we will see a poly synth from Moog. "If" Moog tried, they would want to go with the same technology that they have been using, more discreet components that a Prophet 08. Basically, less or no IC's. There is a big difference in cost and the size a poly Moog would have to be.

Moog is a small company whose Voyager is hand assembled, like in the old days. The quality is excellent, and although I've always balked at the price, I do understand why it cost so much. So if you want one, shop for your best deal and get out your American Express.

The Prophet P08 won't cut into Voyager sales, totally different animal. If "money was no object", I would own both.

Mike T.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 pm

I just bought an Andromeda last weekend. I've always wanted one but everytime I had the money I bought something vintage... not complaining but now that I have sold off most of the vintage collection I was looking to purchase a modern analog, something like a polyevolver, prophet08 or Andromeda.

There aren't many pro-audio music shops in Ireland, and you are unlikely to find anything analogue (other then guitars, whistles and banjos!) so when I stumbled across one in Dublin I popped inside for a look. To my surprise they had all the new big name units, Korg M3, Oasys, V-synth, Mofif XS etc, etc but in the corner I noticed this dusty Andromeda.

No one knew what it was... the salesman said to me "don't bother with that, buy this M3". Another salesman wasn't sure it even worked so I asked for headphones and sat down to test it. Everything checked out, all the menus worked, all the knobs functioned (I had many problems with non function knobs on Alesis' ION), the unit tuned up fine... and sounded in tune, so I was pretty confident that it was OK.

I asked how much for it and everyone shook their heads and then the truth came out... "It's a returned unit, we've had it for about 2 years, someone baught it and said the menus didn't work, we returned it to Alesis and they sent it back wondering what was wrong with it.. we don't know whether it works or not?" ... at that point I knew I was in.

The salesman went on to say it retailed for nearly 3000 euros and he would let it go for 1500 euros, I looked at him and said... "too much for a risk... I'll give you what I have left on my credit card, about 900-1000 euros"... he said OK, so I left with it under my arm for what translates to 1200 bucks.

I have had it on soak and it sounds and plays perfectly... suppose I won't be looking for that prophet08 now.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:47 pm

Is this your "once in a lifetime" synth deal, Mal?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:15 am

Oh, and how does it compare to the Chroma?

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:33 pm

No, I have had better deals, just having moved to Ireland I didn't think they would happen again... it's a land of singers, guitarists and drummers. You get the odd piano store which is more for the new Celtic Tiger money makers as furniture pieces then as musical instruments - very little signs of analogue synths here.

I probably have one of the largest collection of analogue gear here in Ireland, when most of my synth friends in the UK had twice the amount of kit.

Nothing compares to the Chroma! which is why it is my favourite polysynth (including any Yamaha CS, and I have owned a 50, 60 and 80). however, it does complement the Chroma which is great for my set-up. Managing to get quite good JP8, CS, Matrix12, and memorymoog like sounds out of the Andromeda although it is a complex beast!

Mal
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Mal,

I will be interested to hear what you think about the A6.

I have one and I have never been able to totally figure it out enough to use it to it's maximum. The Prophet 08 would probably be more to my liking, as it is a simpler instrument. It is hard to part with the Andromeda, though, because of all of it's sonic potential. The limiting factor is me...

Hope that you enjoy the Andromeda.
Thanks Bob!!

crs.one

poly v. mono

Post by crs.one » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:44 pm

i agree that they probably won't be much competition. there's a prevailing attitude that more is better...if one voice is good, eight has got to be better. Maybe it's like comparing a six string guitar with a twelve string. 12's not better, just used in different applications.

my old rig was a juno 60 and a moog rogue. both relatively low end, but simply completely different instruments. each could do things the other can't. odds are the prophet can't do many things a voyager can, but then again, i've never played one. but moog didn't freak out with the poly evolver came out,

it's like mitch hedberg says. "I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad a turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,.Some one needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself. you've got your own thing going. ::looks at palm:: i used to draw you."
crs.one

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:30 pm

I will be interested to hear what you think about the A6.
Having had a few nights with it now... you might have to wait a while!

Yes, a complex instrument and also slightly whacky... I naturally go for all the controls that I'm used to over the years on other synths and "boom", not what I thought would come out... and mostly distorted (sometimes in a cool way).

Looks like the A6 needs to be treated as an individual and I have some learning to do, you kinda need to think in a more modular way.. with the A6 I have to think how the audio is traveling through the unit and what the knob I'm twiding is actually doing to the sound... which is something I haven't had to do for a while - I like it, it feels fresh.

In my set-up there's a memorymoog above the A6 so if I need an easy fix I can just go to that but I'm really digging the velocity and aftertouch (and the ribbon) and how that makes the sound more organic... funny thing is I never really found the Voyager touch surface that playable, possibly because the control surface is always pitched up and I find it hard to use the TS in that position but the A6 ribbon just reminds me how fun the Yamaha CS synths are (I also have a Kurzweil expressionmate ribbon on my Midi controller keyboard).

I know what you mean about the immediacy of something like the Prophet08... I love the simpler moogs for that very reason, the Prodigy, Source and Model D always win over the Voyager for me.

Mal

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:38 pm

mee3d wrote:Looks like the A6 needs to be treated as an individual and I have some learning to do, you kinda need to think in a more modular way..
Exactly! And with no prior modular experience, it has been an absolute bitch for me to figure out. I much prefer the simplicity of the Model D and the LP.

The A6 is a cool instrument, though, and it is absolutely lethal in the right hands. It is just that my hands aren't the one to make it sing to it's potential.
Thanks Bob!!