new 8 voice all analog poly

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
reset

Post by reset » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:13 am

...and notice the Mini in the back of Mr. Smith's lab when you watch the 2nd episode 8)

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:34 am

Dave Smith's Minimoog.

He mentions that it's the original Mini he took out a loan to buy when he was an engineer at Lockheed in 1975. He made a 16 step CV sequencer for his Mini, and that was the first Sequential Circuits product (sold 4 total).

Dave Smith was also central to getting MIDI established. He seems to have a few good ideas!

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:08 pm

I can't see Moog putting any Poly out in the market. It will cost too much. Heck the LP for what it is, is expensive enough, imagine a 4 voice poly with limited functions, it will cost around 4K easy. They just can't compete with what it is out there. The Voyager, great synth but too much money. There is no way they can put a poly to compete price wise unless they start cuting corners.

After I sold my OB-Xa just recently I was planning into getting a rack Voyager and an A6. The P-08 seems to be more user friendy, but the A6 seems to be an over all better analog, due to the vast amount of modulation.

It will be great to see a Memorymoog, a Jup 8, CS80 RI, heck even the comeback of Oberheim....But chances of that happening are .00000000001% in a million...

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:39 am

Anyone notice the oscillators are DCO?
Those wheels aren't in the best place.
No CV modulation (bar one input), but lots of LFOs and envelopes already.

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:42 am

i still like the idea of a 4 voice expander for voyager/LP. ya never know.......but one thing is for sure Moog will continue to create new products that are MOOGS ;)

martin

Post by martin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:06 am

http://www.moogarchives.com/

check under "oddities" and "the phone"...

how about a new moog phone - with polyphonic ringtones! they're going to fly out of the shop like hotcakes.

:wink:

MC

Post by MC » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 pm

latigid on wrote:Anyone notice the oscillators are DCO?
I had a conversation with Dave Smith a couple of years ago about DCOs. His design is a VCO complete with the traditional charged cap core that creates the ramp waveform from which all other waveforms are derived, except he replaced the linear voltage to exponential current converter (the most $$$ and tricky part of a VCO) with a DAC that supplies a charging current to the cap.

It's about time someone designed a DCO like this. IMPO (in my professional opinion) this is as close as you can get to a traditional VCO. So the entire audio path IS analog.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks for that explaination MC. (Dave actually said he makes "better" DCOs than the traditional ones, but obviously didn't mention the details.)

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:30 pm

I agree, when I hear the Moog name I never think of over-engineered poly synths.
Every polysynth moog has ever made has been over engineered (not saying they weren't good though!).

I think it's funny that we have a situation where history is repeating itself. In the mid 70's SCi brought out the Prophet 5 polysynth loosely based on the idea of 5 minimoogs in a box at a time when moog themselves couldn't quite do poly.

Here we are again... moog aren't doing poly (at the moment for whatever reason) and DSi brings out a polysynth for the masses.

One thing I think will happen is that moog WILL eventually bring out a polysynth, not because they will feel the pressure to do so but because Bob is no longer at the reigns keeping things controlled and simple.

It is history repeating itself again, if you look back some of the more forward thinking synth designs came from a time when Bob wasn't at moog (Source. memorymoog etc)... so long as the new moog can weather the R&D costs I think we have lots of great new stuff to look foreward to (no dissrespect to Bob's genuis).

There's plenty of room in the market place for a "Prophet 08" or a "BigPhatty".

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:53 pm

4 voice expander, OR a moog unit that will allow us to hook up multiple freq boxes and play polyphonically. i'm sure there's probably some modules to do the latter out there, but something definitively moog that does it would be extra neat.
www.ctrlshft.com

LilFatty

Post by LilFatty » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 pm

Phew...been reading every single post on here...impressive ideas.

What can i say? I love my Moog LP, it is one of those instruments i own that makes me feel like playing bass and lead sounds. Yes, it's my first Moog, and i know that they are selling well...Moog really did get this machine right.

Another thing is, i just cannot think of Moog in a polyphonically way - they are the Rolls Royce of mono synths...period.

I also own an A6, which is my only polyphonic analog snyth. I will more than likely check out the new DSI synth in the near future. I just feel that all these synths have unique flavours to offer, i would never resort to one synth for all tasks...but thats just me.

As some of you guys already know, DSI are not the only analog poly synth makers on the market, i can name atleast two other brands. So it's not like Moog music have to play catch up...just because DSI are releasing an 8 voice synth. A market exists for both. Those who want a polysynth can still go elsewhere, whilst Moog continue doing what they do best - a great mono synth with the signiture Moog sound.

However, i do like the idea of 'voice expansion' units for the LP and Voyager.

my 2 cents.

Don

Post by Don » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:53 am

Oberheim's Matrix 6, 6R, and 1000 are all 6-voice units and you could run up to 6 of them in parallel, so you would have a 12, 18, 24, 30, or 36-voice (2 DVOs each) monster.

Now what would be kewl is if Moog could make something like the old Oberheim 2-voice expander and be able to link the serially, so they could form a multi-voice synth. You could add as many as you like.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:31 pm

I just cannot think of Moog in a polyphonically way - they are the Rolls Royce of mono synths...period.
True, for the moment but I think that statement only applies to moogs ventures this time round. I currently have 5 moogs in my collection and 3 of them are polyphonic (polymoog, memorymoog and opus3)... so for me, moog is just as much a polysynth company as they are a monsynth co.

We once asked Bob if he was going to make a cut-down Voyager and he said "there was no plan to make a low-cost monosynth at this time" (see the www.rlmusic.co.uk interview) and a few months later the Little Phatty was announced...

I'm sure there's a polyphonic moog on the way! (and it probably has nothing to do with the Prophet 08, PolyEvolver, Omega8 or Andromeda A6).

Mal
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

smut

Post by smut » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:54 am

mee3d wrote: I'm sure there's a polyphonic moog on the way! (and it probably has nothing to do with the Prophet 08, PolyEvolver, Omega8 or Andromeda A6).

Mal
for me, the p08 has not the analog sound, I'm looking for and I hope, you are right. I will retain my money for that.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:40 am

Well this is the thing... if you want a polyphonic moog sound, however good the other analogue polysynths are, they are not going to fit the requirement.

For example, my memorymoog sounds very different to my Rhodes Chroma and that's the beauty of analogue synths, they all sound different, they all have their own character.

My studio once consisted of only moog synths, I owned pretty much every model made bar the modulars and in the end I sold most of them as it didn't add to my sound, everything sounded similar (and how many moog monophonics does one need?). In the end I just kept the ones that sounded unique.

The moog sound is admired and for good reason but personally I think one needs a mixture of tones so something like a Prophet08 or Andromeda adds to the mix nicely.

Mal