No sound from my Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Razashah5

No sound from my Voyager

Post by Razashah5 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:48 am

Hi,

For some strange reason my SE Voyager has suddenly stopped playing any audio. One minute it was working fine, the next it suddenly stopped outputing audio. I can see the midi still works fine, but no sounds come out from either the audio jack outputs or the headphone socket.

Does anyone know of any quickfire checks to see what the problem may be?

Thanks

till

Post by till » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:11 am

Check if you set it to Local off.
Then unplug all Midi cables. Some midi loop might going on.
Check if there is a pedal connected to the Volume in jack.
And check the Headphone output.

If nothing helps,
you should contact Moog Music for help.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Gonga

Post by Gonga » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:16 pm

Also, check to see if you have something plugged into the insert (mixer out/filter in) jack. Plugging in a cord here will disconnect the filter from the oscillators.

(This one had me going for a while...) :wink:

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 am

Gonga wrote:Also, check to see if you have something plugged into the insert (mixer out/filter in) jack. Plugging in a cord here will disconnect the filter from the oscillators.

(This one had me going for a while...) :wink:
Actually, Gonga may be on to something. Even if nothing is plugged into the Mix/Out jack, the contacts on that jack may not be completely closed, resulting in no signal being passed to the filter. I've experienced this exact problem on several occassions after using the Mix/Out jack, resulting in no sound. The solution was to replug/unplug into the jack several times, reestablishing the connection.

Give this a try and see if things clear up.

nathan

Post by nathan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:11 pm

that would mean something inside is bent/mechanicaly not ok.
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:19 am

nathan wrote:that would mean something inside is bent/mechanicaly not ok.
Yep, mechanically unsound (contacts do not completely close) or corroded (oxidization on the contacts). Either way, this connection point could be the reason why Razashah's Voyager suddenly stopped playing audio.

Easy enough to check with a patch cord (insert/retract several times) or by using an insert cable to loop the signal back into the Vger.

nigeynige

as bizarre as it sounds

Post by nigeynige » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:00 pm

Whilst on tour with Chris de Burgh, we played Castles in the open air throughout the hot summer evenings in europe. I left my Select series with keyboard EXternal ON so that I could keep the volume down and yet throughout the songs, keep a constant A on osc 1 and TUNE IT.
As I went to play it, There was no sound and although I changed the patch, for some reason, all patches remembered the external keyboard setting ON. I switched it off and it sorted it out.
It may even be Midi messages. sometimes, programs like Nuendo do wierd things with resets. The Filter control moves. Move the filter control and also try the amplifier section. I have Logic, Nuendo and Protools.
Nuendo is my preference, but my version is fine with the Moogs. Other studios have strange Midi reset preferences and do a similar thing where there is no audio.
I hope you get it sorted. Too good an instrument to have no audio signal.
Nige