SoundTower - Little Phatty Editor Librarian

Everything Phatty.
SoundTower_Help_Desk

SoundTower - Little Phatty Editor Librarian

Post by SoundTower_Help_Desk » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to say hi from SoundTower and let you know that the release of the Little Phatty sound eidtor/librarian is one of our pleasures. Below is the text of the description from Moog Music for you to read through. I want to let you know how excited we are about being involved with the LP product. It was a pleasre to program for and we hope that through your use and commens on the functionality of the software that we might be of use in ongoing improvements and enhancements over time.

If you have any question regarding the software as you work through it please send me a note at:

[email protected]

or post here at the fourm

all the best
Derek
Soundtower Help Desk

The Little Phatty Editor Librarian, built for Moog by SoundTower Software, is designed to be the ultimate tool for organizing and creating presets for both the Little Phatty Tribute and Stage Editions. Through a MIDI connection from the Little Phatty to a computer, this program can receive single presets or an entire bank of presets from the Little Phatty - as well as replace individual presets or an entire bank. Once the presets are transmitted to the LP Editor Librarian, all preset parameters can be displayed in a graphical user interface, including edit functions like Pot Mapping and Filter Poles.

The settings of the front panel controls can be displayed with several resolutions, including: 7 bit, 8 bit and high resolution (16-bit), to allow super-precise sound editing. The program can also be used to learn the inner details of the factory presets. Using the LP Editor Librarian, presets can be organized to create custom preset banks – a terrific feature for musicians preparing for their next gig! In addition, a Preset Genetics function is available to create new presets by morphing or mutating two presets together.

You can also play the Little Phatty remotely from the computer keyboard. A Little Phatty OS update function is incorporated, too, simplifying Little Phatty OS updates.

You can demo the Little Phatty Editor Librarian software by downloading it from these hyperlinks:

Download the LP Editor Librarian for Windows (XP, Vista)
http://www.moogmusic.com/software/MoogLPSetup.exe

Download the LP Editor Librarian for Mac (OS X)
http://www.moogmusic.com/software/MoogLPSetup.dmg

In the Demo Mode, the program will open and allow you to edit all of the Little Phatty's preset parameters and use most of Editor's functions, with the following limitations:
• Saving files (disabled)
• Loading files (disabled) with exception of SysEx (System Exclusive) files in OS UPDATE utility.
• Writing presets to the Little Phatty (disabled)
• Transmitting the User Bank (disabled)
• Sending up to 5 panel edits from the Library and Preset Genetics to the Little Phatty
• The editing session is time-limited (15 min.).

There is no limit to the number of times the program can be run in Demo Mode.
SoundTower Help Desk

[email protected]

http://www.soundtower.com

mwalthius

Post by mwalthius » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Sounds great.

It's such a shame, however, that Moog has to charge their customers for this piece of software. I'll probably buy it anyway, but, well, 'nuff said.
http://www.thekeyboardwizard.com

Synth demo videos at http://www.youtube.com/keybdwizrd

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 pm

mwalthius wrote:Sounds great.

It's such a shame, however, that Moog has to charge their customers for this piece of software. I'll probably buy it anyway, but, well, 'nuff said.
I think in the same way.

At least, will be cool some kind of release discount or something like that.

Assar

Post by Assar » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:21 am

I'm not sure I understand this correctly ... but am I supposed to be able to squeeze the knobs on my computer screen to change the settings on my LP (or rather, change parameters hidden in the LP software menu in an easier way than through the LP interface)?
Or am I supposed to transmitt the changes to my LP first (a function that is disabled in the demo version), which means I don't hear the changes in real time?

Anyway, I don't manage to get any communication from my computer to my LP with the demo version. I can recieve from my LP to the computer, but not the other way. And, yes, the midi settings are correct from what I can see.

Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work? A software for just managing presets and banks doesn't sound that attractive to me.
And I'm not going to buy the product if I don't understand what I can do with it ...
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:32 am

Assar wrote:I'm not sure I understand this correctly ... but am I supposed to be able to squeeze the knobs on my computer screen to change the settings on my LP (or rather, change parameters hidden in the LP software menu in an easier way than through the LP interface)?
Or am I supposed to transmitt the changes to my LP first (a function that is disabled in the demo version), which means I don't hear the changes in real time?

Anyway, I don't manage to get any communication from my computer to my LP with the demo version. I can recieve from my LP to the computer, but not the other way. And, yes, the midi settings are correct from what I can see.

Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work? A software for just managing presets and banks doesn't sound that attractive to me.
And I'm not going to buy the product if I don't understand what I can do with it ...
Assar I have the demo version, too. I can move some knob in the pc with the mouse and the phatty moves the knob. And I can move a knob in the phatty and its moves in the pc screen.
But not all phatty knobs moves well in the screen, and its has some delay.
I have all the ncesary, a fast pc and and m-audio midiport 4x4.
I want to know if all knobs can be controled by by the pc in full version. And if this delay is only in demo version.
I´m going to buy this soft if the soft works all right, but I don´t pay U$s 70 to became a beta tester. I offer my self to be a betatester for free.
And if the software is in a development stage, a discount will be fine.

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 am

mwalthius wrote:It's such a shame, however, that Moog has to charge their customers for this piece of software. I'll probably buy it anyway, but, well, 'nuff said.
I agree. Luckily - the Moog LP is easy to program without this software. If it had an interface like te DSI Evolver I'd want an editor for free - but DSI charges for their editor too.

Software editors seems the be what Rolands old programmers were in the 80's (PG-200, PG-800 and so on). :)

Assar

Post by Assar » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:38 pm

I tried some more times. Restarted the program and the LP, in different orders, several times.

One time I could change the knob in the program but it didn't happen anything on the LP until I also switched any of the buttons in the program.

A couple of times it worked as expected, instant changes both ways. But the demo-program stops after 15 minutes so I didn't have time to test very much.

One time small text windows with hex-code error messages kept opening on my screen so I had to restart the program.

From time to time - and I can't see any systematics in it - the communication from the PC to the LP worked, but mostly not.

One time I must have pushed the wrong buttom so the 00-preset ("Thank you Bob") got replaced by the 04-preset. Totally without warning or confirmation-message. So now the 00-preset is gone, and to re-install it I have to write over all the other presets I spent two hours adjusting last night. One time I managed to transmit the 00-preset from the program to the LP but it was just the preset name that was transmitted, not the sound settings.

Sometimes the MIDI-settings get updated in the program, but mostly not. When it doesn't, nothing works in the communication between the program and the LP. No systemtics here either, from what I can see.

It seems to me that the program is not very stable. :?

janus

Post by janus » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:08 am

Hi,

When I start the app I press the button for Tribute, but nothing happens.
I have a Mac G5 with Emagic AMT8 Midi interface, it seems the application still needs some serious work...

Volker

von haulshoven

Post by von haulshoven » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:16 pm

the phatty is not cheap, and then ask a price for an editor? :(
most manafactures give an editor for free by there products these days.
I do NOT buy it.

dlearyus

My Take On The Whole Enchilada

Post by dlearyus » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:43 pm

yes it is a bit dissapointing to see the price on this...sorta looks like a SynthEdit creation (no offense to SoundTower) it looks like a useful addition to my LPTE (#585) but I dunno...it should be able to maximize to fullscreen resolution...my old eyes found it hard to read clearly at 1152x864 most people have at least a 19" or 22" LCD these days 1024x768 is kind of dated and a hassle to change resolution everytime you want to use it.
- 2 bank limit ...very retro guys too bad it doesnt work with my mpu-401 for full effect. oh yeah! one last suggestion..I was only kidding about the MPU how about a VST/DX plugin version THEN I WOULD BUY it. Some of us work in sequencing environments and a standalone cannot grab the midi resources whilst they are in use by your DAW application.

Rant Over

;)

P.S. for the price of the LPTE...i agree it should have been free but outsourcing costs I suppose

dave500

It looks great but

Post by dave500 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:14 pm

$69.00 omg
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

MarkM

Re: My Take On The Whole Enchilada

Post by MarkM » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:38 pm

dlearyus wrote:my old eyes found it hard to read clearly at 1152x864 most people have at least a 19" or 22" LCD these days 1024x768 is kind of dated and a hassle to change resolution everytime you want to use it.
My laptop isn't that big.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

dlearyus

Post by dlearyus » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:00 pm

My laptop isn't that big.[/quote]

I envy your good eyesight but alas my days of laptops are over even squinting doesnt help anymore. Perhaps I should have bought a Wurlitzer?

PS. i still think a VST plugin version would rock lol

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:13 pm

I think that U$S 69 is a lot of money for only a preset manager. Midi OX is free and is recomended in the Phatty´s manual.
Is really intereseting the visual interface to understand the factory presets, but I think the "coming soon" moogeler will be help in this way, too. So that I have for U$S 69, that the Midi OX + the moogeler gives me??.

If there is some kind of visual interface to use with Ableton Live, some kind of VST visual interface to use, i will pay the money. If there isn´t this interface,i really not pay.
dlearyus wrote:yes it is a bit dissapointing to see the price on this...sorta looks like a SynthEdit creation (no offense to SoundTower) it looks like a useful addition to my LPTE (#585) but I dunno...it should be able to maximize to fullscreen resolution...my old eyes found it hard to read clearly at 1152x864 most people have at least a 19" or 22" LCD these days 1024x768 is kind of dated and a hassle to change resolution everytime you want to use it.
- 2 bank limit ...very retro guys too bad it doesnt work with my mpu-401 for full effect. oh yeah! one last suggestion..I was only kidding about the MPU how about a VST/DX plugin version THEN I WOULD BUY it. Some of us work in sequencing environments and a standalone cannot grab the midi resources whilst they are in use by your DAW application.

Rant Over

;)

P.S. for the price of the LPTE...i agree it should have been free but outsourcing costs I suppose

Assar

Post by Assar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:41 am

dlearyus wrote:how about a VST/DX plugin version THEN I WOULD BUY it.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!
THAT I'm willing to pay for. :D
sergiovalente9 wrote:the "coming soon" moogeler
What's that???