Powered Pa speakers that can handle the moog low end.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
goldphinga

Powered Pa speakers that can handle the moog low end.

Post by goldphinga » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Im considering buying a mackie srm 450 12" powered speaker as my keyboard monitor. I do a lot of left hand moog bass gigs and wondered if these would handle the low end from my voyager and phatty? I dont want farting speakers!

I dont really want the added weight of a 15" cab.

Anyone used the srm 450 with moog bass?
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

MC

Post by MC » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:33 pm

I don't know about the 450, but I played LH bass in a band where the drummer had the compact Mackie sub and it had no trouble with the Voyager. That sub is not listed on the Mackie site, I don't know what model it was but it is smaller than what they make now.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:28 am

My SRM350s handle the Phatty just fine.

On my HRS120 sub, if I boost the LFE Gain or increase the Input Sensitivity too much, it sounds like some kind of passive radiator sleeve is rubbing or knocking about.. so I back it off a bit. The HRS120 is great & is very configurable. You actually run the main signal INTO the sub, through its own crossover, then out to the mains themselves.

I suspect the 450s would fair well. Dial 'em in & if you hear anything too violent, just back 'em off like I do. You don't really want to push 40Hz to the SRM450s anyway. Sure you can use the built-in crossover frequency of 1.6kHz but I'd say grab you a nice sub like the HRS120.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

analogbass

Post by analogbass » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:40 am

A Mackie or FBT passive or active PA monitor will give you the best sound in lighter composite/plastic-type cabinets, esp. with a sub.

For the best bass and power, get a wood or heavier material cabinet, such as a Yorkville EF500P. The new active PAs even with heavier cabinets aren't particularly heavy or big, and don't require a sub.

prizmatic

Post by prizmatic » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:46 pm

I have a pair of SR1521 Mackies with a SWA1501 and they sound amazing no problems with bass ....
Anniversary and Custom Voyagers, LP, all MFs, Mini, Micro, Source, Memory and Moog 3 band eq

teknobeam

Post by teknobeam » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:57 pm

http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/prx/

This is a new pro audio line from JBL professional. Long awaited. The SRM450's no longer feature RCF speaker components. They are a different animal now.

Don

Post by Don » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:29 am

[quote="analogbass"]For the best bass and power, get a wood or heavier material cabinet, such as a Yorkville EF500P.[/quote]

The specks on that Yorkie show no top end. While that may seem not to be bad if you're looking for bass, as the volume goes up so do the number of overtones, and if you don't have a good top end the bass will sound muffled or less rich.

Have you actually had experience with these Yorkies?

jrlaudio

I hope you didn't buy a Mackie yet!!!

Post by jrlaudio » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 am

Hi,

I realize you asked about "PA" speakers specifically but consider this ...

Quite frankly, both as a keyboard player using many Moogs (Modulars and Mini/Voyagers), and as a pro live sound engineer, the Mackies are all dogs IMO. More cons than pros. To some they "sound great" but most likely it's only because they do not know any better. (Sorry Mackie users).

The other thing is it is very difficult to get the drivers repaired on Mackie SRM loudspeakers. The high-freq drivers are molded into the plastic and are not removable which means if you burn out the HF diaphram, you gotta send it away to Mackie (and we're talking for months as of recently) or simply toss it in the trash. The 450 is famous for this major uncorrected nor Mackie acknowledged design mistake. Mackie will not honor its warrantee on this design defect and charge you to fix or replace what would normally be a $30-50 part. Note: If you look on Mackie's website, out of all of it's loudspeakers series, the SRM series is the only one that has no repair manuals available. Tells ya something eh? It's not intended to be repaired nor is there a proper way to do it.

Now, to be fair, I do not know if Mackie has dealt with this issue at all, or whether their current products are the same in this respect, but a while back many a sound company was screaming bloody murder over this issue. Many sound companies bought these as cheap boxes for very small events, and when the drivers went these companies went ballistic when they found out they couldn't repair the loudspeakers and many threw them out and took the write-off.

Mackie is a price point product manufactured as cheaply as possible and not something one could call professional gear, regardless of what it's proponents say. For most professional technical riders for live sound you will see, more often than not, the phrase "Absolutely No Mackie" or similar words. Moreover, the SRM stuff is not truly designed for your application.

Since I'm ranting, I recently did a gig with my rig, and the venue had the huge Mackie SA1532's and the Mackie subs. My keys were making that system fart away to beat the band. The soundguy came up to me and asked if I could roll off my low-end. (He had already done this at the Mackie 8-Buss console, which I heard and it was still farting). I said "No ... I can't. (I don't have to use EQ on anything) but tell you what..." and I rolled my rig out a little to give a better line of sight to the audience, told the soundguy to take me out of the PA totally, turned up my Motion Sounds a little and shook the rafters. At the end of the show he came up to me and said "I just don't get it. Your keyboard amps sound cleaner and louder than my whole PA. How can that be?" I just looked at him and said "Well ... that's Mackie".

Motion Sound (the non-rotating models) are about the only thing I have heard that sounds "hi-fi", and the model I use is the Motion Sound KP-200s. It's 200w, uses standard Eminence pro-sound drivers (very easy to find, inexpensive & simple to replace), is full stereo, and expandable to 2000W or more with the addition of SL200 slave units and/or the SB15 subwoofer. It's also smaller (albeit heavier) than the Mackie you asked about and has two 12's (more surface area than a single 15" woofer), as well as two HF horns. For rehearsal, I use a KP200s with a Moogish modular (Synthesizers.com), a MiniMoog, Voyager and other old vintage synths and have no problems keeping up with guitar players and no problems with "farting" (over-excursion or clipping). Plus you have multiple channels with controls. My live performance rig is one KP-200s, one SL-200 slave unit and the Subwoofer. And like I said I shook the rafters playing Pink Floyd music.

Yes I am suggesting a keyboard amp. But it will give more options and less to have to set-up. (I'm assuming you use a mixer). Well this is no ordinary keyboard amp. Trust me I've tried them all, and I mix on EAW, Nexo, and Vertec arrays for a living. I think I know what sounds great ... I think! :wink:

Now don't go and start a flame war about Mackie folks. I'm sure the Moog folks wouldn't want this in the forum. This is just my opinion and nothing more. (But ... I am right!!! :lol: ).

John LeVasseur