My dream Moog Drum Machine...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.

Would you buy something like this?

YES!
61%
er...no :{
39%

Total votes: 31

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:39 pm

analoghaze wrote:
fooger drum modules

:idea:

Wow... great idea... that would be KILLER!
They would be nice, but it may wind up being really big. An 808 is big and heavy, but it still moves around fairly well. I'd prefer a all-in-one box than modules because I don't have a lot of space.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 am

Kevin Lightner wrote: If an external slave oscillator has no such correction, temperature compensation or heated component technology, once the temperature changes, so will its frequency.

So, if a vco is tested at a constant temperature, the test is basically eliminating any benefits of having temperature compensation in the first place.
It's the opposite of what test conditions are necessary.
Take such a setup outside or invite a bunch of people into a studio room and the ambient air temperature will probably vary.
These are the conditions of playing live or as found in many studios and thus two important reasons why tempco engineering is necessary.
The worst time to find your synth is out of tune is up on a stage or when the recording process is taking place.
Points taken. I should have mentioned that I was looking to see what the overall stability of the Voyager/VX-351/Ring Mod configuration (AKA 'Extra Oscillator') was over time:

Voyager --> 351 Key CV --> 351 Attenuator --> RM Freq input.

Given that the RM wasn't really designed with this application in mind, and considering the lack of precision of the 351 Attentuator and RM Frequency pots in setting the critical CV and Frequency settings (a Coarse and a Fine control would be highly desireable here), it seems suprising that it works at all - but it does. Certainly factors such as temperature, humidity and even vibration will likely affect the stability of the configuration, but under controlled conditions the configuration provides reliable results.

Now, take that same setup out of a controlled environment and put it up on a stage and all bets are off!

(Makes me really appreciate Keith Emerson's use of a modular Moog onstage back in the day. I now understand his comment about performing each night "on a wing and a prayer".)

:)

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:48 am

i really love the idea of a moog drum machine, ive been longing for it for awhile actually. it would be great if it could be used as a sequencer too, that maybe asking a little too much for one box though. but having the CV inputs would just be insanely beautiful. (have the pitch of the high hats synced to the LFO of MF-103 etc) and it needs LOTS of memory to store patterns and songs. i love the sound of analog drum machinse but only having a hand full of patterns is annoying. i have the 256 patterns completely filled on my electribe...

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:i really love the idea of a moog drum machine, ive been longing for it for awhile actually. it would be great if it could be used as a sequencer too, that maybe asking a little too much for one box though. but having the CV inputs would just be insanely beautiful. (have the pitch of the high hats synced to the LFO of MF-103 etc) and it needs LOTS of memory to store patterns and songs. i love the sound of analog drum machinse but only having a hand full of patterns is annoying. i have the 256 patterns completely filled on my electribe...
I agree. I don't personally need an enormous amount of presets for my Voyager. I'm sure others love it and that's a good thing. I do see where something like a Matrix 1000 needs a lot of presets. Drum machines are different though. Using an 808 or an ER-1 for a song uses up a lot of presets and some you don't want to delete. Having a ton of preset locations on a Moog drum machine would be fantastic. Maybe an SD card slot could be incorporated to save preset data?

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:49 pm

In the absence of a moog drum machine, this might be the next best thing...

Analog from the Prophet series and drum sequencing from the Linn... also includes all the digital waveforms from the evolver and Roland "TR" programming method.

http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:09 pm

It is my understanding that the DSI Evolver's analog circuitry runs through an Analog/Digital > D/A converter before being output. I assume the BoomChik will suffer the same fate. ...and the color scheme and graphics are horrible. If the Korg ER1 were analog, it would be flawless. It's an excellent balance of simplicity/functionality. The BoomChik looks like engineer overkill.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:27 pm

the DSI Evolver's analog circuitry runs through an Analog/Digital > D/A converter before being output
I believe that the 2 VCO's feed straight through to the filter and envelopes, completely in the analog audio realm (controlled by voltage). The 2 Digital wavetable oscillators are naturally converted to audio to be fed into the filter and continue through to output. There is an ability to lower the DAC quality for that lo-fi sound but this only affects the digital oscillators.

The signal path is analog and is not converted to digital... there is no digital audio output.

Given the lineage of the LinnDrum (no one is going to dispute the acumen of the LinnDrum) and the sonic quality of the Prophet range of analog synths this is sure to be a hit.
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:43 pm

I sent this link to Dave Smith. It didn't look like they were too far into the R&D. He wrote back and said that it's good info of what people are looking for, but the BoomChik is pretty far along in R&D so it doesn't look like many of our ideas will make their mark :cry:

I'm sure these two have put a lot of thought into it and it will be an excellent drum machine.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:55 pm

mee3d wrote:
the DSI Evolver's analog circuitry runs through an Analog/Digital > D/A converter before being output
I believe that the 2 VCO's feed straight through to the filter and envelopes, completely in the analog audio realm (controlled by voltage). The 2 Digital wavetable oscillators are naturally converted to audio to be fed into the filter and continue through to output. There is an ability to lower the DAC quality for that lo-fi sound but this only affects the digital oscillators.

The signal path is analog and is not converted to digital... there is no digital audio output
If you download the DSI Evolver .pdf manual you will see that all audio sources are converted to digital then back to analog before being output (on page 13 there is a signal path diagram). The manual: "Surrounding the Analog electronics is a high-speed Digital Signal Processor (DSP) that both pre- and post-processes the audio signal." I too wish this was not the case.