Moog music research paper

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
analoghaze

Moog music research paper

Post by analoghaze » Tue May 01, 2007 9:18 am

I am pleased to have the chance to do a research paper on Bob Moog and what he has done for us. The class is called Electronic Communications.

I am looking for info on what should be included.
Requirements are:
Where it was first used
When it was first used
What is it
How it works

seems pretty easy, but I am looking for any info on sites to check out that may help me.

Words of support encouraged as well.

thanks
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue May 01, 2007 9:44 am

Cool that you get to do a fun project like this!

Much has been written about Bob and Moog's in general, and wealth of online resources are available. Simply Google a few keywords ('Moog', 'modular', etc.) to find them.

Among other resources, however, the first that comes to mind is the book "Analog Days" by Trevor Pinch. Also consider the book "Vintage Synthesizers" by Mark Vail for stories on Bob, the Minimoog (certainly the most significant Moog product), Keith Emerson's Modular, and background on the company and the line of instruments produced. Both books should assist greatly in addressing the requirements for the project.

Don't forget to check out Wendy Carlos' web site (wendycarlos.com) for additional info on Bob and synthesizers. Wendy's masterful 'Switched On Bach' was a landmark album that brought the Moog synthesizer to major public awareness back in the late sixties; it should be cited as a significant musical accomplishment when writing about the history of Moog synths, IMO.

Have fun!

- Greg

museslave

Post by museslave » Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 am

Oh, please oh please check out the books that Greg suggested. The internet is just brimming over with inaccuracy, misinterpretation, urban myth, and total-lack-of-context in regard to synthesizer history!
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed May 02, 2007 11:55 am

I also highly recommend "Analog Days" I actually have one sitting right next to me at work that I read during lunch.....it's even signed by Trevor Pinch!

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed May 02, 2007 12:53 pm

The internet is just brimming over with inaccuracy, misinterpretation, urban myth, and total-lack-of-context in regard to synthesizer history!

That's the truest thing I've read about synths in a long time.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Thu May 03, 2007 2:49 am

The Moog film released by Plexifilm is good.
www.moogarchives.com has a lot of information: chronology, photos and schematics.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Thu May 03, 2007 8:14 am

thanks everybody!!!
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Sun May 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Trevor didn't give bob a copy to read before sending it for printing? thats bizarre...

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun May 06, 2007 8:20 pm

Fentro wrote:
electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:I also highly recommend "Analog Days" I actually have one sitting right next to me at work that I read during lunch.....it's even signed by Trevor Pinch!
I hate to tell you this, but I have it from a reliable source that Bob was "not happy" with Trevor's book. Some things were mis-represented by being taken out of context.
This is the word i've heard from many people! It's very disappointing to know that the info in the book is not all tip-top considering how great a read it was.

museslave

Post by museslave » Mon May 07, 2007 1:57 am

Fentro wrote:
electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:I also highly recommend "Analog Days" I actually have one sitting right next to me at work that I read during lunch.....it's even signed by Trevor Pinch!
I hate to tell you this, but I have it from a reliable source that Bob was "not happy" with Trevor's book. Some things were mis-represented by being taken out of context.
Things about Bob? Or things about electronic music history?

I happen to know for a fact that much of the historic information regarding the development, etc. of synthesizers in general and Moog in specific was spot on.

Was Bob happy with the Moog movie? My god, it was a travesty (in many respects)!

Unless it is very clear what Bob didn't like about the book, it could well have been that he just didn't LIKE how things were portrayed, not that they were inaccurate. Does anyone have any info that might be more specific than that?
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Stuckinabox

Post by Stuckinabox » Thu May 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Hey that's funny, I'm reading Analog Days for a history project :)