Why'd you do it ?

Everything Phatty.
robles

Post by robles » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:59 am

Amos wrote:A lot of people now let MIDI play all the notes, while they use both hands to change the sound.
Hehe, guilty as charged. For someone very determined to be all analog with his synth, I'm letting a digital sequencer play all the notes for me. Yes I'm more of a tweaker than a keyboardist, but I'm a very proficient tweaker. I almost never use presets - I generate nearly all my sounds from scratch. This is because I have in my head the kind of sound I want, and it's much, much faster coming up with it by creating it than searching around for a patch that sounds similar. As a result of learning how to program sounds, I have gained a great deal of appreciation for subtleties. So yes, I'm very, very picky about the sounds I create. And I love the silky smooth texture of real analog.

RL

Post by RL » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:14 am

OK, what do you think about that idea?
When the display parameters is "on/3sec" only one pot is active to avoid crazy display flickering. When the display parameters is "off" all turned pots stay active unless the user changes a preset.
Cheers,
Rudi

Moomin

Post by Moomin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:13 am

I wanted a small studio with minimal equipment. Since I am an analogue synthhead I wanted a Moog. However, I didn't want to invest lots of money in old machines that suddenly can break down.
So I decided to buy a Moog Little Phatty. To be able to save patches, get new components, a brand new synth and built in midi made me drool.
It was also small, looked nice and gave me those sweet leads and the fat basses that my MS20 was to harsh to offer. In other words - a great companion to my old friend. The Voyager looks and sounds great but was way out of my budget.

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:21 pm

Amos wrote:A lot of people now let MIDI play all the notes, while they use both hands to change the sound.
Well, this might be true, but I hope you will not start to design your synths for these people only. The great thing about a Moog synthesizer is that you can play it as an expressive instrument: one hand on the keyboard, the other on the wheels or knobs ... who needs MIDI?

robles

Post by robles » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:04 pm

doctorno wrote:
Well, this might be true, but I hope you will not start to design your synths for these people only. The great thing about a Moog synthesizer is that you can play it as an expressive instrument: one hand on the keyboard, the other on the wheels or knobs ... who needs MIDI?
People like me doing electronic dance music where everything needs strict clockwork timing. And if it weren't for midi, the Voyager wouldn't be having those zippering issues. It would be straight analog. I wouldn't have a problem with that. In fact I would be extremely tempted to save up to buy one if it had analog controls.

Even if you do play notes manually: say you have a sustain pedal and want to manipulate two parameters while holding a note. True analog sound is best only when everything from the controls to the sound engine is analog.
Last edited by robles on Wed May 02, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:45 pm

RL wrote:OK, what do you think about that idea?
When the display parameters is "on/3sec" only one pot is active to avoid crazy display flickering. When the display parameters is "off" all turned pots stay active unless the user changes a preset.
Cheers,
Rudi
Rudi, would this allow two pots tweaked at one time without glitching? If so it is a great idea!

Funkasizer

Post by Funkasizer » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:45 am

Amos wrote: I can change cutoff and resonance independently at the same time with only one hand... put thumb on Resonance, and first two fingers on cutoff... then you still have one hand to play keys!
How would this be possible? Cutoff and Resonance are modified by the same pot, and you select either cutoff or resonance with the push buttons. So you can never modify them simultaneously.

Cheers,

Jack

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:02 am

Funkasizer wrote:
Amos wrote: I can change cutoff and resonance independently at the same time with only one hand... put thumb on Resonance, and first two fingers on cutoff... then you still have one hand to play keys!
How would this be possible? Cutoff and Resonance are modified by the same pot, and you select either cutoff or resonance with the push buttons. So you can never modify them simultaneously.

Cheers,

Jack
Sorry, I was talking about the Voyager here... this was a sort of side-discussion about zipper noise on the Voyager when too many pots are turned at once.

You can set up the LP to tweak cutoff and resonance at the same time... use Pot Mapping to assign one of the other pots to control resonance, and use the Filter pot to control cutoff. If you do this, then you will have RAC on the cutoff but not on resonance... but that is OK as RAC is not as crucial when changing resonance (amplitude at cutoff frequency) than it is for cutoff.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:11 am

Are all 4 (assignable) pots on the LP the same size resistance (i.e. 100k) and taper? (i.e. Linear)

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm

Yes, they are. 50Klin, I think.