Why'd you do it ?

Everything Phatty.
dejon

Why'd you do it ?

Post by dejon » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:14 pm

What made you buy the LP instead of the Voyager?
Would you have done so if price wasn't a factor ?

cl516

Post by cl516 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:25 pm

i have LP and the Voyager Rack,
the more i play with them, the more i realize they sound different

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:55 pm

The price is always a factor. Even if you are a millionaire you think twice before you spend 3200,- € (at least those who stay millionaires do). If I was a millionaire I would have thought twice and would have bought a Voyager. I am not a millionaire, so I had thought that I would never be able to afford a Moog synthesizer. Now I have got one and I am very happy with it.

robles

Post by robles » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:03 pm

RAC: Real Analog Control. I actually don't particularly want a Voyager for that reason. If I'm going for analog, I want analog all the way. I'm very glad I got the Tribute which has RAC for all functions.

Funkasizer

Post by Funkasizer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:23 am

I sold my Moog the Rogue in 1998 for about twice the amount I paid when I bought it new. I spent the next 9 years trying to convince myself that software synths sound equally good, if not better. Deep in my heart I knew that this was not true. I wanted to return to the analog domain, but the price of the Voyager was too high a threshold for me to take that step. The LP was not, and so I got one. Had I known beforehand how it would change my approach to music making, I would have gotten a Voyager right away. However, I will not trade my LP towards the purchase of a Voyager. When my budget allows for it, I will get a Voyager to keep my LP company! And I will not have to think about it twice (now you know why I will never become a millionaire).

doctorno

Post by doctorno » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:28 am

robles wrote:RAC: Real Analog Control. I actually don't particularly want a Voyager for that reason. If I'm going for analog, I want analog all the way. I'm very glad I got the Tribute which has RAC for all functions.
RAC is a way to control different parameters of the synth with just one knob without using digital controller data. The voyager does not need such a function because there is a knob for every parameter. So you already have direct real analogue control.

rachel

Post by rachel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 am

I already have a Minimoog. I wanted another Moog to keep it company. Since I already
had a Mini, a Voyager was not the sound I was aiming for. I had been eyeing off
the Source for a while then the LP came along and it answered the question for me!

rachel

robles

Post by robles » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:07 pm

doctorno wrote:
robles wrote:RAC: Real Analog Control. I actually don't particularly want a Voyager for that reason. If I'm going for analog, I want analog all the way. I'm very glad I got the Tribute which has RAC for all functions.
RAC is a way to control different parameters of the synth with just one knob without using digital controller data. The voyager does not need such a function because there is a knob for every parameter. So you already have direct real analogue control.
The following is a quote from Sound on Sound magazine:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/a ... update.htm

"Next, I would like to point out another slight deficiency that has become apparent on all Voyagers. The synth's manufacturers claim that the 12-bit A-D converters used to translate the positions of the front-panel knobs into digital values, the interpolation of those values when the CVs are generated, and the scanning speed of the front panel are all sufficient to ensure that the Voyager is indistinguishable from a pure analogue synthesizer. However, this is not the case. To discover this for yourself, just sweep two knobs simultaneously while listening to a patch. If one of the parameters you're adjusting makes obvious changes to the sound — say, the filter cutoff frequency — you will hear audible stepping. To be fair, the amount of 'zippering' is very small, and will bother almost no-one, but it's there nonetheless."

Yes you have analog knobs to change parameters on the Voyager, but they immediately get converted into digital values so that it can save the patch digitally. The digital signal then gets translated back into analog CVs to control the analog sound engine. The Little Phatty is the first synth ever that has direct analog control and digital control at the same time.

The quote from above is why I decided I didn't want a Voyager. I'd rather go for a straight analog synth. But lo and behold, Moog came out with the LP that does have direct analog control, so I went for the TE knowing it was the last design by the good Doctor himself.

dejon

Post by dejon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:38 pm

I have a SE Voyager and was going to get the LP Stage but found the RME Voyager for not much more than the LP and purchased it instead.
The only thing I thought I'd miss from the LP was the overdrive circuit as an editing option.
RAC will not affect the sound of the LP so how did this beccome the deciding factor for choosing it over the Voyager ?

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:35 pm

dejon wrote:I have a SE Voyager and was going to get the LP Stage but found the RME Voyager for not much more than the LP and purchased it instead.
The only thing I thought I'd miss from the LP was the overdrive circuit as an editing option.
RAC will not affect the sound of the LP so how did this beccome the deciding factor for choosing it over the Voyager ?
you are obviously not a live "tweaker" musician....more of a "set & save" studio musician i am guessing?

robles

Post by robles » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:35 pm

There's not possibility of stepping if you have direct analog control. As the Sound on Sound article tested, if you move more than one knob at the same time on the Voyager, you'll get stepping. This can be very audilble if one of your parameters is this Filter Cutoff. You'll hear it change step by step. With the LP you'll only get a smooth sweep. It's subtle, but for a purist, it's a definite consideration for buying a synth.

There are plenty of suberb analog synthesizer manufacturers out there these days. If I'm going for analog, I'm much more concerned that it be all analog than having a product with the Moog name on it. Yes the Voyager can save patches, but the LP does it one better by saving patches, and having direct analog control. But I do confess to having really wanted at least one synth that was a genuine Moog, and the LP was a perfect choice: brand new (I like new), all analog sound and control, and the last design of Bob Moog.

dejon

Post by dejon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:25 pm

e_e_g wrote:
you are obviously not a live "tweaker" musician....more of a "set & save" studio musician i am guessing?

You got that right e_e-g studio stuff but some tweaks are recorded while playing.

RL

Post by RL » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:13 pm

As the Sound on Sound article tested, if you move more than one knob at the same time on the Voyager, you'll get stepping
Hmmm, I thought it's not so easy playing notes and turning on two pots at the same time. Maybe I have to think about it again...
Is it more usual now that modern musicans turning knobs instead playing notes?
If so I have to change the pot routine.
Cheers,
Rudi

dejon

Post by dejon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm a one pot at a time tweaker.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Rudi,

A lot of people now let MIDI play all the notes, while they use both hands to change the sound. Can the pot routine be changed to handle this? It's worth a try, I know a lot of people would be very happy... :D

besides, I can change cutoff and resonance independently at the same time with only one hand... put thumb on Resonance, and first two fingers on cutoff... then you still have one hand to play keys!