FreqBox?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
megatron667

FreqBox?

Post by megatron667 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:27 pm

can you make the FreqBox self oscillate like the LowPass Filter?

nathan

Post by nathan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:35 pm

it >is< an oscillator.

megatron667

Post by megatron667 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm still having trouble wraping my head around this, I'll just have to go down to the music store and play with it.

nathan

Post by nathan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:54 pm

check the video. is quite helpfull.
its ok> it IS an unbelievable cool device!

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:07 pm

I am really dying to have one.

Would you be able to use with a kenton Pro-solo to play it like a synth? (Is it 1V/Octave ?)

The only reaoson I am getting this is to be able to have a cheap version of a Moog synth when I put together the Freqbox with the rest of the foogers.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:51 pm

megatron667 wrote:I'm still having trouble wraping my head around this, I'll just have to go down to the music store and play with it.
When self-oscillating, the LPF starts feeding back on itself, acting like a sinewave oscillator (but it was not designed with this in mind). The FreqBox IS an oscillator, the incoming audio controls/interferes/modulates the pitch of the oscillator creating distorted waveforms. It is similar to self oscillating the Moog LPF and then plugging an audio signal into the Frequency jack (CV input) on the back of the pedal. The audio signal begins distorting the sinewave. This method is exponential modulation of the waveform, where the FreqBox allows exponential AND linear modulation. Linear FM does not create the sound of VCO pitch bend (like exponential modulation does) making it more "musically useful." Finally, the FreqBox creates more complex waveforms than a self-oscillating LPF, so the distortion effect is more severe.
Hope this helps.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Jeez....... I have a pair on order from Big City. I want to try them out.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

jucas

Post by jucas » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Sorry, this is likely a less than intelligent question, butall my readings on synths seem to skip the stuff I want to know...

When they're "hard sync'ing" the osscilatoer to the audio, how does this work with chords and droned notes (bassist)? If I hold a note and play a few others on the next string, should this thing follow all of them, or just one? It was said somewhere on here that it isn't tracking anything, so does that mean that the usuall limits on tracking on bass shouldn't be an issue?Also, for output, as its an oscilator sync'd to an audio signal, what can we expect for an envelope? Does the env. amount control use the original notes envelope to recreate the original dynamics on the oscilated signal?

I think I had a few more questions, but can't remember them right now... thanks for tolerating m lack of understanding!

nathan

Post by nathan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:19 am

i think the vco takes the average frequency with cords and such. but you can add harmonics with the fm amount. thats not exactly the same, but ok. you're "supposed" to mix the audio with the vco.
the simultaniously played high and low keys will give or the average key, or the vco will sync on strongest signal. i dont really know. :?
the envelope is exactly the envelope you put in, but only when you turn up the envelope amount offcourse.

somebody could correct me on this. cause i've not played with it yet. :cry: :wink: