LP frequency squeals

Everything Phatty.
writeroxie

LP frequency squeals

Post by writeroxie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:03 am

i was playing the LP the other night trying to reproduce those 'frequencies squeals' i would get from my Source. I know there's one preset in the LP stage where the mod wheel gives a similar effect when rolled, but on the Source (when the 2 osc's were not synced) i could get bad-ass squeals when i'd roll the PITCH wheel. is there a way to do this with the LP using the pitch wheel? even when the sync is on or off the pitch wheel seems to affect both oscillators pitch unlike the source would.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:05 am

if it helps, listen to the intro of "Staying In's Alright" on the link in my profile to hear the effect i'm talking about. i love that sound.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

hey there's nothing fancy about that sound... it's just a sync'd oscillator sweep with the filter pretty wide open. The LP pitch wheel always affects master pitch (both oscillators equally), but take any patch, open the filter, turn on osc sync, set the modulation source to filt. env and the destination to osc.2, and turn up the modulation Amount. You should be in squeal city using the mod wheel.

EDIT: you say the oscs were NOT synced on the Source? sure sounds like it to me, in that song intro anyway. Hmmm. I've never gotten my hands on a Source, I'd love to see what-all it can do.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:09 pm

the source can only do the squeals with osc sync switched on.

this is just one of the many things the source excels at! Its nice how the pitch wheel can function in this way. Maybe the lp could be made to have some other parameters mappable to its pitch wheel in the future? Seems a waste of a wheel to only be assignable to pitch.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Amos wrote:
EDIT: you say the oscs were NOT synced on the Source? sure sounds like it to me, in that song intro anyway. Hmmm. I've never gotten my hands on a Source, I'd love to see what-all it can do.
oops, i'm sure i got this part backwards. i always seem to confuse myself when talking about the 'in/out' - on/off' thing.

but i think goldfinga got me...

and thus my question is answered in that: NO, the LP doesnt have the same pitch wheel functions as the Source.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Bitchin' use of the Moog sound on your tracks.

I don't hear it enough, and after 35 years it still thrills me....
Thanks Bob!!

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:18 am

thanks man

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:33 am

next question...

can i get the ep-1 expression pedal to control the mod wheel for me?

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:13 pm

Not exactly... you have pedal/CV input jacks for Pitch and Filter. Pitch is the overall pitch, not just osc2... so no sync squeals to be had that way.

I think it should be possible in firmware to assign the pitch wheel to just Osc2, instead of both oscs... that would let you do Source-style squeals from the pitch wheel. I'll put it on the feature request list.

Cheers,

Amos

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 am

Amos wrote:I'll put it on the feature request list.

Cheers,

Amos
please do! thanks.

i feel bad now, our synth player order the pedal assuming (according to me) the LP's pitch wheel had the same functions as the Sources pitch wheel. I made an ass of me!