no power input on back of new cp251?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
chris allert

no power input on back of new cp251?

Post by chris allert » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:14 am

i just got a some new cp251s, and one of them is newer stock than all my others. there aren't too many important differences, except for one:

there is no longer a power input on the back of the unit, just on the side. this is a major inconvenience for me as i have several of these, and i like to have them all flush against eachother and powered from behind.

if anyone here is considering getting one of these, you may want to ask the vendor to open the box and see if it is a new one. you can tell because the old ones have the red nuts around the pedal input jacks, while the new ones have a printed white circles around the pedal jacks instead.

i hope very much that in moog's next production run of cp251s they bring back the rear power input. i don't really understand why they removed it. the metal plate on the back still has a plugged-up hole where it should be, and i can't imagine that they would have changed the pcb.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:48 am

sounds like it would be a fun little DIY mod for ya though if there is just a plugged hole. Sorry to hear they changed it on you though, best of luck!

The Alison Project

Post by The Alison Project » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 pm

Will two still fit in the Control Processor rack kit that they sell??

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Note to Moog:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That would mess me up too. You can always find great deals on CP-251's on Ebay that will have the power supply in the original spot. Thankfully I got my 2nd one on Ebay and didn't run into that.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:16 pm

The Alison Project wrote:Will two still fit in the Control Processor rack kit that they sell??
yes, because you have to reconfigure the power supply cabling anyway to rack them to the frame. It's kind of a pain.. i hope they've made the cable a little longer on the new ones; it's hellishly difficult to rack 2 CP-251s into the 3-space rack, as it's really easily to have one of the power connectors unplug by simply bending the rack frame a little bit. then you have to go back, unscrew everything, and fiddle with it more. i think i spent a good half-hour getting them racked properly. :/
www.ctrlshft.com

The Alison Project

Post by The Alison Project » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:50 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
yes, because you have to reconfigure the power supply cabling anyway to rack them to the frame. It's kind of a pain.. i hope they've made the cable a little longer on the new ones; it's hellishly difficult to rack 2 CP-251s into the 3-space rack, as it's really easily to have one of the power connectors unplug by simply bending the rack frame a little bit. then you have to go back, unscrew everything, and fiddle with it more. i think i spent a good half-hour getting them racked properly. :/
thanks for the info, because two CP-251's is my next planned purchase.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:01 am

The Alison Project wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:
thanks for the info, because two CP-251's is my next planned purchase.
incidentally it is well worth the effort; the cp units and a couple choice foogers more or less really do equal a powerful modular unit. especially once the mf-107s come out. :)
www.ctrlshft.com

shakti

Post by shakti » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi Chris,

I have a new CP too. On mine there is the power plug on the side like yours, but on the back of the unit there is a black round-shaped flat plastic plug which covers the hole for the ACplug on the back of the unit.

Check and see if yours has this too.
Hope so.

chris allert

Post by chris allert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:37 am

shakti wrote:Hi Chris,

I have a new CP too. On mine there is the power plug on the side like yours, but on the back of the unit there is a black round-shaped flat plastic plug which covers the hole for the ACplug on the back of the unit.

Check and see if yours has this too.
Hope so.
that's what i find so baffling about this. they couldn't have saved more than 50 cents per unit by removing the rear power plug. i would have been willing to pay at least an extra $20 per unit to have them keep this feature. it's still possible to take the power plug out of the side and move it to the back, so i'm glad they at least left the hole in the back, but it is quite a bit less convenient than it was before when there were two power inputs.

if they needed to save money on these, i would have preferred losing the wood sides or something else purely cosmetic.

anyway, now i have eight cp251s. of the four new ones i got recently, one is the old kind with the red jacks and two power inputs, and the other three are new ones. i kind of wish all eight of them matched, but i guess it's my own fault for not ordering them years ago.

but i'm done complaining about this. i hope they change it back to they way it was when they are ready to build more cp251s. they are still worth the money as they are and i wouldn't want to discourage anyone from ordering one or several.

shakti

Post by shakti » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 am

hey chris
hily shot, 8 Cps.
I have one and I am thinking of getting another. How do you use all eight, I wonder.

theglyph

Re: no power input on back of new cp251?

Post by theglyph » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:22 am

chris allert wrote:there is no longer a power input on the back of the unit, just on the side.
Is this drilled through the wooden side panel????

I must be losing my mind! :shock:

chris allert

Re: no power input on back of new cp251?

Post by chris allert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:29 am

theglyph wrote:
chris allert wrote:there is no longer a power input on the back of the unit, just on the side.
Is this drilled through the wooden side panel????

I must be losing my mind! :shock:
no, it's in the same place as the old one, on the "top" (not the top where the knobs are, but the other top. that didn't really clear anything up at all...)

chris allert

Post by chris allert » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:39 am

shakti wrote:hey chris
hily shot, 8 Cps.
I have one and I am thinking of getting another. How do you use all eight, I wonder.
i have four other moogerfoogers, (101, 102, 103, 104z), so having eight unrelated random outputs is handy for all the different cv inputs on these. it's also useful to have them all modulating eachother to create several wildly fluctuating control signals. i have some recordings on my web-site from when i only had four cp251s ( http://www.morelater.com/music ), and i'll try to post some new recordings of what is possible with eight.

one thing i neglected to mention earlier is that the attenuators on the new cp251s can invert the signal. so this is actually an improvement over the old cp251. the old ones go from 0 to 1, while the new ones go from -1 to 1. the knobs on the new ones feel a lot smoother when you turn them as well.

i opened an old one and a new one up, and they look quite a bit different inside. in the new ones, there are two pcbs, and the jacks are all mounted directly to the pcb. on the old one, there is one pcb with wires all running to the jacks. there are also a lot of discrete components soldered on to the old pcb. the new pcbs are turned the other way so you can't see what is soldered onto them by taking off the back panel.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:47 am

do you still see via's for through hole compoenents or did they go the way of Surface Mount discrete components all on the front side?

The Alison Project

Post by The Alison Project » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:47 pm

chris allert wrote:
one thing i neglected to mention earlier is that the attenuators on the new cp251s can invert the signal. so this is actually an improvement over the old cp251. the old ones go from 0 to 1, while the new ones go from -1 to 1. the knobs on the new ones feel a lot smoother when you turn them as well.
The reversing attenuators is a big plus for me, and I plan to buy two CP-251's very soon.

Does anyone know the serial numbers they start at or a way to tell which version you are getting by the box cause I will have to order these online, and don't want to get someone's older stock??