Voyager in UK (Preferably Minus Turnkey)

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
kron787

Post by kron787 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:23 pm

I have to disagree (strongly) with both you and GP.

There is also another choice: don't buy a Voyager.

I'm quite happy to settle for something else (hi Model D)...

And not have to deal with the hassle of the thoroughly unprofessional and incompetent Turnkey.

Sorry, but I won't be buying a new Moog - at least until I move back to the US, or until Moog finds a UK distributor worthy of its reputation.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:03 pm

Or just keep an eye on ebay...

industrial_gypsy

Post by industrial_gypsy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:03 pm

Alex Winter is only responsible for Moogs not being allowed to use the logo in the UK. He has nothing to do with Servicing
I'm aware of that, but I wouldn't be surprised if the grief he's caused has dampened Moog's enthusiasm for the UK.

If that's the case, it's a shame as the analogue market is more buoyant in the UK than most other parts of the world, you can tell by the prices vintage stuff sells for over here in comparison to elsewhere.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:08 pm

well anyone that misses out on owning a voyager because they dont like the uk distributor must be insane...

some people are such martyrs....

:roll:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

kron787

Post by kron787 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:15 pm

dude, the distributor *is* for all intents and purposes moog in the uk.

i think you're a professional musician. i'm not - i have very (very) limited amounts of time and energy i can put into music. i want that time and energy to amount to an enjoyable experience.

where turnkey's been involved, it's been anything but.

put another way, i don't have the time to spend chasing down turnkey's incompetence - and so i'd rather steer clear.

if you wanna deal with turnkey, that's cool...i'm just pointing out that there are people (like me) who want to have nothing to do with them.

from my pov, turnkey is a sad reflection on the moog brand. they would do well to consider switching. or at least providing a viable alternative for direct distribution.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:35 pm

Instead of looking at this like you will have a problem and have to send it back to them to fix (and have to deal with their alleged incompetence) why not turn that frown upside down and assume it will work fine and all you have to do is USE them to sell it to you. Open it up in the store and check it out before you walk out the door (and before you pay for it) to be extra sure. Then just take it and run and enjoy your new Moog.

digimidgi

Post by digimidgi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:35 pm

yes i have to agree. Turnkey are rubbish. they take your money and sweep you under the carpet. i will never buy anything from them again :x

Fantom Man

Post by Fantom Man » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:57 pm

goldphinga wrote:im sure i heard cimple solutions are the only uk moog authorised service centre but dont quote me on that.... best ask moog.
Yep, I bought an "Electric-Blue" Voyager on ebay (which was going for a song!) and I picked it up from a studio in Hackney, London.
It had a repair sticker on the bottom of it complete with a job number, so I phoned the company, and they told me that it was just a loose edge connector problem. The name of the company was: Cimple Solutions, based in London (fortunately not that far from me in Sussex).
They told me that they can handle all kinds of repairs for the Moog Voyager, and that I should not worry as "they hardly ever go wrong in any case". When I mentioned servicing, they told me that there is not a lot that can actually be "serviced" as it were on the Voyager!
Best Regards,
Pete.
[b][color=darkblue]Electric Blue Voyager V:3.3, Nord Stage, Roland Fantom Xa, Roland SH-201 & Roland JX3P+PG200 Programmer.[/color][/b]

nigeynige

Post by nigeynige » Wed May 02, 2007 8:48 am

Yep, Cimple Solutions are cool. They handle the Moog repairs.
To be honest, there's not a lot that can and does go wrong with them.
I've got 2 voyagers and an LP. The only problem I have is which one to use :lol: . They have been fantastic and wondefully stable.
Seriously though If you need any repairs, tuning, servicing or upgrading, Cimple Solutions are great. They have been in business for years and have fantastic qualified engineers. I mentioned this to Amos when i was in Moog at the Beginging of April getting my new custom Select Voyager.
He told me Cimple solutions handled their repairs and servicing.
Turnkey are being taken over so they'll cease to exist soon.
Fortunately, Sound Control are taking over,....it means a bigger distrubution and outlet for Moogproducts and that will mean More Moog products in the UK......

Fantom Man

Post by Fantom Man » Wed May 02, 2007 5:10 pm

nigeynige wrote:Turnkey are being taken over so they'll cease to exist soon.
Fortunately, Sound Control are taking over,....it means a bigger distrubution and outlet for Moogproducts and that will mean More Moog products in the UK......

Nice one!
[b][color=darkblue]Electric Blue Voyager V:3.3, Nord Stage, Roland Fantom Xa, Roland SH-201 & Roland JX3P+PG200 Programmer.[/color][/b]

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri May 11, 2007 2:12 pm

I bought my Voyader SE direct from moog when it was possible to do so (now they direct you to Turnkeys). My unit was one of the first batch to be shipped in September 2001 (wow, what a long time ago!). Including Shipping, TAX and Duty it cost me under £2400 when Turnkeys was selling it for £2999 but I was told that it would have to go back to the States for servicing.

It came with a 4 year warranty and 2 free "return to base" tunings but there was no way I was going to ship it back... as it happens in 6 years the unit is still in tune and as stable as the day I bought it.

Luckily my Voyager didn't suffer some of the troubles that plagued the early units, such as crackles at 5 on the volume and faulty touch surfaces, the only problem I encountered was the diferent pitch bend limits but this seems to have gone away now with the new pitchwheel/modwheel/aftertouch upgrade.

Knowing that I wouldn't ship it back I contacted Tunkeys to see if they would service it and Nick Thomas the director of servicing said that he would be happy to send my unit to their service centre (cimple solutions) for tuning or repair... and if I had any hardware issues that moog were aware of they would service it under warranty.

My keyboard Techy Kent Spong (KSR, part of RL Music) would also service a Voyager but he probably wouldn't get any help from moog as he's not registered with them (they should use him as he is very good).

I have purchased quite a lot from Turnkeys in the past and can't say that I have any issues with them... but then I have a tendency to know what I want before I buy it (I do my research), so I only need minimal info from them.

I wouldn't hold off buying something I really wanted just because I thought the seller was rubbish though ... that just sounds like shooting yourself in the foot.

Mal
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Fly Agaric

Post by Fly Agaric » Fri May 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Fingers crossed, my Voyager is in the UK - ahead of expected time. Turnkey rang ME (!!!!!! - yes customer service) to check if the specification was correct (the select series spec) and told me when to expect delivery. TBH guys - if this baby gets here to me as ordered (select series within 4 weeks by the way) and ahead of schedule, i've got no complaints with Turnkey. I did apply my usual order tracking procedure - PAIN IN THE ASS i think its called - but all seems well.

Matthew

Fly Agaric

Post by Fly Agaric » Mon May 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Yep - got it today :D :D :D