keyboard priority for the LP

Everything Phatty.
redeyeflight

keyboard priority for the LP

Post by redeyeflight » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:27 pm

So I finally got my LP Stage yesterday in the mail and one thing I'm pretty dissapointed about is that I can't figure out how to save the keyboard priority (high, low, last) for individual patches like you can on the voyager. Is there a way to do it on the LP? Or do I just have to go into the master mode everytime I want to change it?

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 pm

I thought that the new OS was supposed to save things like this for individual patches........

Haven't installed it on my Tribute yet, so I don't have first hand experience to share with you.
Thanks Bob!!

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:08 pm

Wow, 1st Stage I've heard of hitting the masses. Grats :)
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Hmm, apparently keyboard priority cannot be saved per-patch. I had forgotten this; I'm glad I checked before answering!

The problem is that a lot of people (by which I probably mean "a vocal handful") complained about this on the Voyager, in that they always wanted the keyboard priority the same on all patches... which meant editing potentially hundreds of presets individually if they wanted them all to be other than the default. This was made more annoying by the fact that the default was Low Note priority like the original Mini; something a lot of newer players didn't particularly care for.

I am genuinely curious - it's been my impression that "last note" priority lets you play just like Low Note, or like High Note priority, and all you have to do is adjust your technique (hold low notes and play higher, or vice versa). Is there some aspect of performance that makes Low or High Note preferable to Last Note priority? Thanks for your perspective. :)

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:13 am

Amos, Last note does sort of let you play the same as low or high except when you have you have fingers down on two keys and you sort of "waggle" between the two, with one finger depressed on one key while lifting your finger on and off the other key...it helps to have a lot of gilde. It definately affects the performance though, I noticed it instantly when switching from my voyager to the LP.

Assar

Post by Assar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 am

One solution could be ...

1. Two global parameters:
- Global keyboard priority - on/off
- Global keyboard priority - last/high/low

2. One patch parameter
- Keyboard priority - last/high/low

Something for OS1.04Td ?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

writeroxie

Post by writeroxie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:48 am

sooo... there's no way to just set the overall priority how you like it regardless of what patch you're on? it'll always jump back to 'default' when you chang the patch? This HAS to be updated.

i think i'm one of the 'vocal' people amos is talking about... haha

PHC

Post by PHC » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:54 am

A little off-topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Is "last note" the 'best' priority setting?

Are there any advantages of low/high note priority over last note?

I know that if someone learned to play a synth with one of those option they can switch it to maintain their style of playing, but if I'm not familiar with playing a monosynth should I use last note while learning?

Short, are there any 'tricks' that can't be done in last note that low/high enables you to do? (at the moment I can't think of any so I use last note)

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:22 am

writeroxie wrote:sooo... there's no way to just set the overall priority how you like it regardless of what patch you're on? it'll always jump back to 'default' when you chang the patch? This HAS to be updated.

i think i'm one of the 'vocal' people amos is talking about... haha
No, I think you misunderstood me when I was talking about how the Voyager behaves. On the LP, there is ONLY the ability to set the overall priority how you like it regardless of what patch you're on. It is a global setting. However it is saved; it does not revert to any default setting. So set it how you like it and you should be good to go.

Regarding Last note versus High/Low note: I think Last note is "best." I also don't know of any tricks that high or low-note priority allow you, that you can't do in Last Note. Well, other than pressing a key and having it not do anything (i.e. if you are holding a high note in High Note priority and play low notes below it, the lower notes will not play)... I don't think that's much of a trick, myself. :)

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Assar wrote:One solution could be ...

1. Two global parameters:
- Global keyboard priority - on/off

2. One patch parameter
- Keyboard priority - last/high/low

Something for OS1.04Td ?
How about:

1. ONE global parameter:

2. One patch parameter
- Keyboard priority - global/last/high/low

Where each patch setting has priority over the global value. Its a simple IF THEN ELSE :wink: Whichever method is simplest or most logical to implement considering menu navigation, minimal number of parameters necessary, etc.
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:04 pm

honestly i think this would be a pointless addition to the software. Theres nothing you cant do with last note priority.. :shock:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Assar

Post by Assar » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 pm

DeFrag wrote: How about:

1. ONE global parameter:

2. One patch parameter
- Keyboard priority - global/last/high/low

Where each patch setting has priority over the global value. Its a simple IF THEN ELSE :wink: Whichever method is simplest or most logical to implement considering menu navigation, minimal number of parameters necessary, etc.
Then you won't be able to switch off the global parameter for all patches in a single action. That would be possible with my suggestion.
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:26 pm

PHC wrote:Is "last note" the 'best' priority setting?
There is no "best" setting. It all depends on the way that you play.

I have mine set to low note priority, as this feels "familiar" to me. I learned to play synths many years ago and this is how my Minimoog works. I use the same technique that Rick Wakeman invented for the Mini--holding a higher note and slapping a lower note repeatedly for that famous Wakeman/Mini trill. Still love that sound, 30 years later....

A person who is not used to playing a Moog might prefer a last note priority--this would help clear up some slightly sloppy playing as well.

I can't see people wanting to use a different priority for every patch, but that is just me. I am used to playing with low note priority and having that selection in global is fine with me.

The same goes for the EG setting. If you are used to playing an ARP Odyssey, you might want to set the LP up for retriggering the EG every time you hit a note. This is the way the Odyssey worked, and it used to drive me buggy when I would try to get that Wakeman trill with the Odyssey, my first synth. That retrigger of the EG on every note made the trill sound crappy, but you never missed an attack when your fingering got sloppy. This was actually a selling point that ARP used on the Odyssey vs. the Mini, but I hated that feature. If you want that Minimoog feel, set it up for legato, so that the EG's don't trigger if you are holding down another note when you strike a key.

It is nice that you get a choice on the LP. For, me, it is not necessary to set these paramaters differently for each patch. I have my own style of playing a synth. Don't try to confuse me by making me play different styles with every patch!! :wink:
Thanks Bob!!

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:11 pm

There deinately is no best setting but I find that certain note priorites work better for different settings. I do really like low note priority for a bunch of stuff but it's also cool to have high note priority (like my roland sh-2000) and the last note priority is pretty good for overall use. This, so far, is my only complaint w/ the LP...that the note priority can't be saved for individual patches....so I set it to low note becuase I'm most familiar w/ it. I don't think it'd be a big deal have to save it for each patch...there's way less of them on the LP than the voyager and so far I've changed most of the factory presets already. One thing I do LOVE about the LP is the auto calibration feature....when I took mine out of the box, osc #2 was out of tune and I did the auto calibration and it was solved...sooo much better than having to sne dit back to the factory! Yay!!!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:18 pm

last note priority gives you exactly what you need whichever you prefer. The only difference is you have to play accurately.

:wink:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.