Whats Next?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:30 pm

I would definately go for a 5 octave controller, mod & pitch wheels like the voyager would be a very attractive product. I hope their listening :wink:
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

rg

Post by rg » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Don't they get there keyboards from Fatar or something though?... If they made just a controller... They really wouldnt be making much would they? Basically slap a Fatar keybed into a case that says Moog? I thought the idea was that Moog made great sounds... And thats what you pay for... Now we are just talking about name recognition... I could be wrong...

...How about a pair of "Air Moog" sneakers...
Last edited by rg on Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:58 pm

rg wrote: Basically slap a Fatar keybed into a case that says Moog? I thought the idea was that Moog made great sounds... And thats what you pay for... Now we are just talking about name recognition... I could be wrong...
Its not that simple, Fatar simply makes the keybed assembly. Every modular needs a keyboard contoller with controller functions fitted for what it is to control. If Moog were to go the modular route with their moogerfooger line of products, would they not need a controller keyboard built to be used specifically with the moogerfoogers? You would need mod and pitch wheels, the proper gate and trigger outputs, maybe even an octave select for the new 107, build quality up to Moog standards. Lots of other stuff besides just a keybed.

Personally, I don't think Moog should make a controller keyboard as there are already many modular controllers out there. But my point is that much more goes into a controller keyboard than just a keybed.

rg

Post by rg » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:09 pm

Kevin Lightner wrote:That's a pretty good idea.
Moog's accomplished more difficult things before.
It would also allow a shallow keyboard on a stage, without a panel blocking the view.
Then people could be seen with a MOOG keyboard, but still playing their other synths.
Thats all fine... But I was talking about the post above...Maybe you didn't see it...

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:28 pm

Personally, I don't think Moog should make a controller keyboard as there are already many modular controllers out there. But my point is that much more goes into a controller keyboard than just a keybed.[/quote]

Well the same could be said for effects pedals etc., it would be nice to have a dedicated moog controller to go with a RME/Moogerfooger system, with minimoog type wheels etc. especially for live playing, it be nice to see moog get a little deserved recognition rather than some "Acme" brand controller. It's kind of like driving a Ferrari with Ford Taurus hubcaps on it.

rg

Post by rg » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:54 pm

Well the same could be said for effects pedals etc., it would be nice to have a dedicated moog controller to go with a RME/Moogerfooger system, with minimoog type wheels etc. especially for live playing, it be nice to see moog get a little deserved recognition rather than some "Acme" brand controller. It's kind of like driving a Ferrari with Ford Taurus hubcaps on it.
I'd prefer Moog gear their resources towork on things that make sounds since thats their specialty... I feel like I can get a nice controller from other sources...

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Why not just use the Haken Continuum Fingerboard with the new CV outputs. This thing seems like the ultimate controller for synthesizers.

It would be fun to know what Bob Moog thought about it, or what the other Moog folks think.

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:16 pm

Check out thos prices :o , thats crazy$ for a controller..

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:35 pm

rg wrote:
I'd prefer Moog gear their resources towork on things that make sounds since thats their specialty... I feel like I can get a nice controller from other sources...
I'm sure Moog has the ability to put together a keyboard controller without depleating thier resources. They have a pretty efficient operation established. Just like the CP-251 and VX-351 aren't really considered things that make sounds, they are accessories that help create part of the modular system using moogerfoogers and a Rack Mount Edition Voyager. A keyboard controller would seem only natural to complete this system.

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 pm

Rg, no I didn't see your post. It wasn't there when I replied, but I left for some minutes in between. :)

I still think it's a decent idea.
It would help round out their line.
As others have said, there's no shortage of guitar pedals and even with such offerings that are often the same as others, brand loyalty can play a big part.
Some people buy only Boss pedals, when some other pedal might be cheaper or even have more features.
They want what that particular company offers because they've trusted their previous purchases to them and they came through.
They often match the looks of their other devices and I'm sure Moog would have some consistency in this dept too.

Moog already has wheel assemblies, a Fatar account and other items necessary.
CV, Gates and MIDI are not terribly hard to do once you've already implemented them elsewhere.
Code could be modified instead of writing from scratch and this cost savings can be passed onto the customer.
Also, some folks would appreciate a longer keyboard to play their Vgers or LP with and would stay with Moog to do it.
It would also allow Moog to package the rack version of the vger with the new controller as a single offering.
I could even envision them putting 4 LP's without keyboards in a rack box and selling something like this to control it.
Then you could have a polyphonic Moog. :)

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:04 am

More is always better... but it's not always needed.
I have always questioned the desire some have for monophonic synthesizer keyboards that are many octaves, touch sensitive, or weighted.
While I know there are many who play their (non-Moog)synthesizer like a piano... choosing ROMpler sounds and playing them as if they were merely some sort of pianothing... these features are foreign to the concept of a monophonic synthesizer.
I'm sure there's a noodler out there somewhere who would like to be able to traverse 5 octaves in his or her white-hot solo... but in general, we monophonic players tend not to need many octaves, piano action, etc.
For this reason, I think a MIDI-controller type keyboard would not be consistent with the product line. Moog is a niche-market company... and that niche does not include generic electronics.
However, if the keyboard was primarily designed to be a CV controller for the RME or MoogerFooger products, I would feel differently. : ) (despite a part of me that has said to me "What is the point of making a keyboard for the RME? By the time you bought both of them, the price would probably exceed a Voyager...)
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

Mooger5

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:07 am

I remember this line from a car salesman character in the CSI TV show: " Sometimes it´s not about what you need... it´s about what you want!" :)

Most people own remote controllers but they generally look boring. Doepfer comes to mind. Much as you have to admire their efforts you have to recognise they could better the looks of their keyboards. Too hairshirt, don´t you think? Like the logo, besides not being very readable, the letters imitating LEDs resemble more digital technology than analog synthesizers. Something musicians willing to sell their image in order to sell their music prefer not to be seen with?

For live or video performance a Moog Master Keyboard in the lines of the Voyager could feel more inspiring to play with and would be a great poser. Even for home or studio use it would be something you´d be proud to own and show your friends.

The latest Voyager editions show that Moog are aware that certain customers care for that sort of thing.

I think it would sell. This may be a cynical point of view but a small company like Moog needs to stay in business. As long as the money keeps coming in headroom is guaranteed to launch more fun products like the Foogers and keep everybody happy. :wink:

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:36 am

these features are foreign to the concept of a monophonic synthesizer.
No slam, but what IS the "concept" of a monophonic synthesizer?
Is it written in some book what a mono synth must be or not?
Or is traditionalism so strong that new concepts and abilities are to be discounted as non-viable?

Consider that the Voyagers send polyphonic MIDI.

A large keyboard doesn't necessarily mean one wants to do wide reaching solos nor use it all at once.
It can provide the ability to play in different ranges without shifting octaves on the synth itself, possibly providing splits or zones, etc.

museslave

Post by museslave » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:36 am

Mooger5 wrote:I think it would sell. This may be a cynical point of view but a small company like Moog needs to stay in business. As long as the money keeps coming in headroom is guaranteed to launch more fun products like the Foogers and keep everybody happy. :wink:
Well, even if it was MIDI, weighted, or velocity sensitive, etc... as long as it contained a robust CV control aspect, I might consider buying one! : ) After all, the controller for my dot com system is MIDI... I'd be a terrible hypocrite. If Moog made one, I would hope that it was a bit more solid than the dot com version.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:18 pm

dr_floyd wrote:Why not just use the Haken Continuum Fingerboard with the new CV outputs. This thing seems like the ultimate controller for synthesizers.

It would be fun to know what Bob Moog thought about it, or what the other Moog folks think.

http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/
Wow, that thing is really interesting. I love the idea of alternative/new kinds of controllers-- especially when they add functionality. But, it's hard to deny that there's something very gratifing about having a key to press down on (versus a flat panel as above). It seems like this controller would be a little awkward... and it's absurdly expensive.

Plus it looks mad stupid. Did you see the stand? What kind of jerk-off would use that on stage?

But I'd still love to see Moog go in a direction like this (albeit with a little more style)... coming up with innovative new controllers.... even a stand alone joy-stick or ribbon or pressure sensor would be cool.