Vintage Korg GATE ouput

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Rakuza

Vintage Korg GATE ouput

Post by Rakuza » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:28 pm

I have an early 80's Korg Lambda ES-50 keyboard with a 1/4" Gate output. Can I hook this up to Moogerfoogers?

nodog

Post by nodog » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:29 am

you can't do much with a gate signal afaik.... CV is what you want. korg uses a different standard for CV/gate signals btw... but it's quite possible to use korg CV in combination with moogerfoogers, albeit not in the correct format (1/5V opposed to the 10V moog signal)

FIGS

Korg Triggers

Post by FIGS » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:12 pm

Hi there,

I, too, own and love the ES-50 Lambda from Korg. The Trig Out is more of an S-Trig than a V-Trig (though only 5VDC instead of 10) The gates on Korgs are "closed" when the voltage is high and "open" when the voltage is low.

My Lambda's Trig Out keys the MS-50 that sits on top of it for sound effects. Wish it had a CV output (the Lambda, I mean), yes, but it IS polyphonic, so that would have been difficult to accomplish back then.

Its not that it will not "work" with any Moogerfoogers, it just won't do much that is interesting as you are only toggeling between 5VDC and 0VDC every time you press a key.

HTH,

FIGS

andrew embassy

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:37 pm

nodog, you said the moogerfoogers operate on a 10V scale? I've got an MS-20 and I know it operates on a +5/-5 volt scale for most control voltages; do the Moogerfoogers use a +10/-10 or a 10/0 scale?
What's that tape on your nose for?

FIGS

Post by FIGS » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:44 pm

andrew embassy wrote:nodog, you said the moogerfoogers operate on a 10V scale? I've got an MS-20 and I know it operates on a +5/-5 volt scale for most control voltages; do the Moogerfoogers use a +10/-10 or a 10/0 scale?
Don't know who you are responding to but when it comes to GATE signals, many Moog synths used a higher voltage (10VDC) to keep the gate closed.

I don't think anyone said 'foogers work on 10V.

And you are correct about the MS-20 +5/-5VDC, but that is the range for the CV, not the gate (or TRIG, in Korg's case). And the MS-20 is in Hertz-per-Volt, where the Moogs are in octave-per-volt.

Luckily MS-50 accepts both, so I'm set. Anybody know of any other convertor boxes between the two "standards"?

BTW, what tape on whose nose??

FIGS